• Announcements

    • iacas

      GAME GOLF Ryder Cup Contest   09/22/2016

      Join our GAME GOLF Ryder Cup Challenge to win an autographed GAME GOLF, a Pebble Steel watch, and many more great prizes!
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
johnny_14424

Wrist Hinge in Takeaway?

23 posts in this topic

Hey guys, how many of you hinge your wrist immediately or wait until you get to the end of the takeaway to hinge?

Personally, I find I can get more width in my backswing when I hinge my wrist at the end of the takeaway.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Want to get rid of this advertisement? Sign up (or log in) today! It's free!

I used to hinge at the end, now I hinge pretty early, almost right away. I also fold my right elbow early similar to Utley's short game feels. I find both these changes keep my swing more compact and more consistent. Maybe I'm losing a bit of width, I don't know, but I'm getting much better contact and width ain't worth with out decent contact.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I don't think about it, unless i am hitting a shorter pitch shot, then its easier to feel the clubhead on a pitch if i hinge earlier.

For me, the club is parallel to the ground, when my hands are at hip height

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by BenGolf19

The quicker you get it up the better.

Could you explain a little why you think that? It's not very helpful to say that.

I don't like getting the wrist hinge early but that's because the way i swing, that leads to keeping the the club out to in on the downswing.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Originally Posted by onephenom

Could you explain a little why you think that? It's not very helpful to say that.

I don't like getting the wrist hinge early but that's because the way i swing, that leads to keeping the the club out to in on the downswing.

Same here I try not to hinge too early, because it makes me pull the club inside too much and too quickly I believe.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I'm the opposite.  Whenever I start trying to copy "proper" swing, i.e., tour pros, golftec's one size fits all swing, my ball striking goes to shit.  Soon as I go back to a very early wrist hinge, it comes back.  different strokes i guess.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Originally Posted by cipher

Same here I try not to hinge too early, because it makes me pull the club inside too much and too quickly I believe.

Actually the opposite happens. The backswing in basic terms is the shoulders bring the club around, and the wrist's bring the club up. To get to that good "on plane" postion you have to have the right amount of wrist hinge and shoulder turn. So if in theory a player is across the line, they just simply need more "up" or wrist hinge in the swing. So you are more prone to pull the club inside if you don't hinge early because you are starting the swing with the "around" or shoulder turn. For me, the quicker I can get that club up on the plane the better. Also if I hinge early and I am "set" all I have to do is complete my turn and the club will be on plane because I established that from the start. To me it is just a simpler move and it's how I was taught. Take a look at AK, or rory, and you'll see a very early set and then just a turn.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I disagree that you are more prone to pull the club inside if you do not hinge the wrists early. I would say look at Fowler for what I am talking about. If you hinge early it brings the weight of the club inside pulling your arms with it, if you don't hinge early the weight of the club keeps your arms moving back and up and helps you get more on plane I would say. This is because they are only then really coming in by your shoulder turn.
0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by cipher

I disagree that you are more prone to pull the club inside if you do not hinge the wrists early. I would say look at Fowler for what I am talking about. If you hinge early it brings the weight of the club inside pulling your arms with it, if you don't hinge early the weight of the club keeps your arms moving back and up and helps you get more on plane I would say. This is because they are only then really coming in by your shoulder turn.

We're back to a topic that's been done a lot of times: it depends on how you define hinge. Is your definition of hinge vertical or horizontal? Also, how much you roll over the left forearm plays a big role.

What Ben is getting at is this: Take your setup position, and hinge upward (vertically) so early that you have a full wrist cock before you do any shoulder turn. You're already at P2 before you start your swing. Now begin to turn your shoulders and you'll see that the club stays more outside like Fowler.

Your definition of hinging is probably more of a horizontal bowing, which will pull the club inside like you said.

I think the main reason that Fowler's swing looks like that is because he rolls his left forearm over wayyy later in the swing than most guys.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Originally Posted by cipher

I disagree that you are more prone to pull the club inside if you do not hinge the wrists early. I would say look at Fowler for what I am talking about. If you hinge early it brings the weight of the club inside pulling your arms with it, if you don't hinge early the weight of the club keeps your arms moving back and up and helps you get more on plane I would say. This is because they are only then really coming in by your shoulder turn.

Actually I said that hinging my wrists causes me to pull the club inside when I go back.

As for vertical vs horizontal, I try to stay away from horizontal and any rolling because my timing doesn't work very well. I don't roll back to where I need to be to hit the ball right

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Best to do what comes natural to you. Turn and get the left shoulder under your chin and stop and see where your club is. If its closed then you are not rotating at all. It shouldn't be a swing thought as that part should be natural. Your swing thoughts should be more full turn. Then of course you should have already decided on the type of down swing your trying to execute
0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Originally Posted by dkling8

We're back to a topic that's been done a lot of times: it depends on how you define hinge. Is your definition of hinge vertical or horizontal? Also, how much you roll over the left forearm plays a big role.

What Ben is getting at is this: Take your setup position, and hinge upward (vertically) so early that you have a full wrist cock before you do any shoulder turn. You're already at P2 before you start your swing. Now begin to turn your shoulders and you'll see that the club stays more outside like Fowler.

Your definition of hinging is probably more of a horizontal bowing, which will pull the club inside like you said.

I think the main reason that Fowler's swing looks like that is because he rolls his left forearm over wayyy later in the swing than most guys.

You are probably right about the difference in my definition or lack of understanding.  If you set up with forward shaft lean and a strong right hand grip and you hing your right wrist right away to p2 the club will come inside to much for me and make my forearms want to roll over.  I don't want my forearms to roll over, even though I have a tendency to do it.  I don't have my arms straight back at P2 so obviously there is wrist hinge before.  I just don't want too much right away, more of a gradual slow hinge.

Originally Posted by onephenom

Actually I said that hinging my wrists causes me to pull the club inside when I go back.

Yep I am agreeing with you, it is the same for me.  I should have been more clear.  I was differing in opinion with BenGolf19, I should have used quotes.  Anyway I do think it is somewhat preferential as long as you can get to a good position at the top.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Anyway I do think it is somewhat preferential as long as you can get to a good position at the top.

This. There are not a lot of absolutes in the golf swing (or TGM would be a lot easier to read) and a ton of the details are stylistic or player preference. Ball first, take a divot, fine tune from there. EDIT* you could make a pretty good argument about the divot being a matter of preference too. Seen a lot of pretty damn good players who don't take divots, I just think its a more difficult and less forgiving way to play.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by dkling8

We're back to a topic that's been done a lot of times: it depends on how you define hinge. Is your definition of hinge vertical or horizontal? Also, how much you roll over the left forearm plays a big role.

What Ben is getting at is this: Take your setup position, and hinge upward (vertically) so early that you have a full wrist cock before you do any shoulder turn. You're already at P2 before you start your swing. Now begin to turn your shoulders and you'll see that the club stays more outside like Fowler.

Your definition of hinging is probably more of a horizontal bowing, which will pull the club inside like you said.

I think the main reason that Fowler's swing looks like that is because he rolls his left forearm over wayyy later in the swing than most guys.

I was referring to the vertical wrist hinge as soon as you start the takeaway. I think I have been doing it correctly, my club is not coming too far inside.

I do notice vs. the one piece takeaway that my right arm tends to bend sooner.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just took a lesson and discovered that I was going back below plane and somewhat inside, breaking my right elbow too early. For some reason I got the idea that my right elbow needed to stay close to my hip - big loss of extension and big mistake. This resulted in me having to raise my arms/ hands near the top to get on plane (a bit above, actually - video doesn't lie), and in losing control at the top. Once my instructor got me to do a one-piece takeaway (no right wrist bowing) and extend properly I was hitting much better - divot taken AFTER contact. Best half hour lesson I've ever had. I don't like to hinge the wrist UP before the club is horizontal because I tend to go inside that way. But that's just me, others can probably do it fine. I don't see that the timing of the upward wrist hinge really matters - what does matter is to keep that triangle going for the first half of the backswing and to keep everything tight and in control at the top. My 2c.
0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Originally Posted by cipher

I disagree that you are more prone to pull the club inside if you do not hinge the wrists early. I would say look at Fowler for what I am talking about. If you hinge early it brings the weight of the club inside pulling your arms with it, if you don't hinge early the weight of the club keeps your arms moving back and up and helps you get more on plane I would say. This is because they are only then really coming in by your shoulder turn.

I am referring to a vertical wrist hinge. If you hinge straight up I cant see anyone getting the club inside?

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0



  • Want to join this community?

    We'd love to have you!

    Sign Up
  • 2016 TST Partners

    GAME Golf
    PING Golf
    Lowest Score Wins
  • Posts

    • Phil had diarhia  of the mouth yesterday, giving a reason for the poor play of he and tiger in 2004 RC as not being prepared to play and test Tigers golf ball that is "higher spin" versus his low spin ball.  Plausible only with Phil.  4-5 hours??? Puh-lease. I have been involved in 3rd party testing of golf balls and i can actually say that Phil is full of Sh*t here. The overall difference in spin from tour caliber golf balls, rememebr we are going back to to 2004, the diference is insignificant off the driver, from eight iron on down to wedges the spin characteriscs averge out  from one one spinny tour ball to and the next low spin tour ball is less than 5%. in other words a 5000 RPM wedge shot with the higher spin ball would be 4750 RPM at the worst case scenario.  Remember these are 20o3-04 golf balls, the TA and PV1 are just a couple of years old at this point. Phil likes to talk, I get that, I like the guy, but please just shut up about ball spin and admit you ( and tiger) played badly, too much limelight for both is much more plausible. Two thumbs up for Hal  Suttons response too.   In alternate shot, you play with one ball, and that was the issue, Mickelson said. "[Woods] found out the year before when we played at the Presidents Cup in 2003 that the golf ball I was playing was not going to work for him," Mickelson said. "He plays a very high-spin ball and I play a very low-spin ball, and we had to come up in two days with a solution. "So I grabbed a couple dozen of his balls, I went off to the side, and tried to learn his golf ball in a four- or five-hour session on kind of an isolated -- one of the other holes out there trying to find out how far the ball goes. And it forced me to stop my preparation for the tournament, to stop chipping and stop putting and stop sharpening my game and stop learning the golf course, in an effort to crash-course and learn a whole different golf ball that we were going to be playing. "In the history of my career, I have never ball-tested two days prior to a major. I've never done it. It doesn't allow me to play my best. What allows me to play my best is to learn the course, sharpen my touch on the greens, sharpen my chipping out of the rough and ball striking and so forth. "Instead, I'm taking four or five hours and I'm out trying to learn another ball to allow us to play our best. Had we known a month in advance, we might have been able to make it work. I think we probably would have made it work. But we didn't know until two days prior."
    • I played baseball at a big 10 university for 4 years, tennis for 40 years, and learned to play golf at a very young age but did not play frequently in my younger years.  Accordingly, I am athletic and have a decent game for my age group now.  Extremely accurate but not long by any stretch.  When I was 60, I started to take golf seriously (Like most people getting close to retirement age) and really can't complain about my game.  The one thing that took me forever to learn and understand is:  "Feel is NOT real."  What you THINK you are doing is NOT really what you are doing.  So......I would advise any player who wants to improve their game to, have some video taken of your swing and watch it.  You will be amazed.  Your swing will be NOTHING like you think it is.  (LOL) 
    • That's great! Is your season ending too? I'm going to be sad to see it end.   Thanks, everyone! He played well yesterday (tied for 2nd out of 21 players) and today he's playing 2 hours away at the "hardest course in our state", according to his coach. Yikes! 
      After today, he will be practicing for the championship. We're going to go play the course on Sunday. (By we, I mean him and his teammate - with me driving the cart.) ;)
      The tournament is Thursday, so we have a week to get ready. 
      Here's a nice hit from yesterday.   
    • Recently we saw tour groups of 3, ovbviously walking, and at times waiting for greens to clear, plumbobbing putts,, checking yardage and wind, you know the usual stuff, they played thier round at the DBC in 3 hours and 30 minutes which I thought was fine.   I immediatly passed it along to my tortise golfers, explaining that they take 15 less swings but walk a 7400 yard course ( as oppossed to 6400), wjy does it take them 4:45-5:30?
  • TST Blog Entries

  • Images

  • Today's Birthdays

    1. mahariji_slice
      mahariji_slice
      (35 years old)
  • Blog Entries