IGNORED

2013 Masters Discussion Thread, Update with Tiger's Illegal Drop (Post #343)

iacas
Note: This thread is 4028 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by trh98

I'm confused by the statement they released. So was Tiger informed by the committee that he did not violate the rule BEFORE signing his card? If so, the 2-stroke penalty is probably the correct one.

If he was never consulted and signed his card, he should've been DQ'd.

Agreed.  I haven't heard one way or the other on this.  Remember the onus is on the player to verify their scorecard prior to signing.  It's not the committees responsibility to bring it to the player's attention.

This is a joke. In my opinion anyone else would have been DQ'd. When you sign for the wrong score that's what's supposed to happen. Tweet Shane Lowry.

I think he should WD. He took a drop to gain an advantage.....David Duval tweet.

I believe they notified him before he signed his card that they have reviewed everything and looked into the drop. Then they notified him everything was fine. He signs his card and all is peachy in Georgia. Then the committee reviews it further and realizes, oh shit, yeah that was not right. This is not TW's fault at all.

IF that is the case, he shouldn't WD or be DQ'd. However, I personally don't believe that is what happened. I think a "TV viewer" pointed out the possible infraction, Augusta reviewed it and said "No, we aren't penalizing Tiger Woods for that small of an infraction, we won't tell him and it will just go away." After which, Augusta hoped the news would die off and that would be the end of it. However, social media took off with it, it became big news, and Augusta was FORCED to come up with something this morning. Which included that written statement. Just my 2 cents.

Originally Posted by atb5079

I believe they notified him before he signed his card that they have reviewed everything and looked into the drop. Then they notified him everything was fine. He signs his card and all is peachy in Georgia. Then the committee reviews it further and realizes, oh shit, yeah that was not right. This is not TW's fault at all.

You believe based on what?  Did you hear this from a source or are you speculating?  If he was informed everything was okay then it's hard to argue with the 2 stroke penalty.  However, if Tiger came in and the situation was never brought up and he signed his card he should be DQ'd

Originally Posted by Zeph

The mess-up with the review of the situation is the committee's fault, but it's Tiger's fault for making the error in the first place. I can't see any rule which could've saved him, if the committee hadn't messed up. I haven't seen a rule which could redeem their action at this point.

My point is that even with the error of the committee, how do they explain him not being DQ'd? Which rule apply?

Tiger has been punished for the error, but if the committee would have punished him prior to the signing, which they had the opportunity to, then we would have no problem.

It's not Tigers fault that they told him everything was fine, and he was ok to sign then card.

You believe based on what?  Did you hear this from a source or are you speculating?  If he was informed everything was okay then it's hard to argue with the 2 stroke penalty.  However, if Tiger came in and the situation was never brought up and he signed his card he should be DQ'd

Completely agree.

Originally Posted by Zeph

The mess-up with the review of the situation is the committee's fault, but it's Tiger's fault for making the error in the first place. I can't see any rule which could've saved him, if the committee hadn't messed up. I haven't seen a rule which could redeem their action at this point.

My point is that even with the error of the committee, how do they explain him not being DQ'd? Which rule apply?

So basically we should erase all of Lebron Jame's career stats because every time he drives to the basket, he travels; right? Even though the refs rarely call him on it. But if you look at the footage, he travels; almost every time. Its Lebron's fault right?

:tmade: R1 Driver
:tmade: Burner 18.5 Wood
:tmade: Rocketballz 19 Rescue

:mizuno: MP-59 4-PW Irons
:cleveland: CG16 52, 56
:cleveland: Classic Mallet Putter

:bridgestone: e5 Ball

Originally Posted by Rick Martin

This is a joke. In my opinion anyone else would have been DQ'd. When you sign for the wrong score that's what's supposed to happen. Tweet Shane Lowry.

I think he should WD. He took a drop to gain an advantage.....David Duval tweet.

Please watch Frank Nobilo right now on GC.

It could be all just BS though to make everything look ok, if no one thought anything of it, and he signed off etc. then obviously he should be insta DQd.

The truth will come out soon enough. I don't think they will try covering anything up, because if they got caught, s**t would hit fans, more than it already has.

Originally Posted by phan52

I am a big fan. I anticipated a Saturday charge and looked forward to more on Sunday. I still think it is in his best interest to DQ himself. He can't win, ESPECIALLY if he wins the thing. It will never go away and dog him for the rest of his career.

Honestly I don't care. It killed it for me. I'm done watching Masters 2013 and honestly I don't care to watch any pro golf going forward. Just too many douche bags in the periphery.

Dave :-)

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by eich41

This is what they were just ****ing talking about on GC! And this is from the letter Todd Lewis read. Are you that ****ing blind?

He's not speculating at all. This info is in the official statement released by Augusta National

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

So basically we should erase all of Lebron Jame's career stats because every time he drives to the basket, he travels; right? Even though the refs rarely call him on it. But if you look at the footage, he travels; almost every time. Its Lebron's fault right?

Isn't golf a little different? You call infractions on yourself. On a side note, I'm not a Tiger fan at all but even I'm getting tired of Chamblee. Has he always hated Tiger? Is there something Tiger did to him in the past?

Thank you Nobilo, thank you. He is completely correct.

Note: This thread is 4028 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!