IGNORED

Local Rules

dsc123
Note: This thread is 4067 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

This is really a basic thing that I'm surprised I've gone so far without understanding.  Somehow I totally missed the fact that you need a local rule to permit your use of a distance measuring device, which got me to investigate my local rules.

Where do I find my local rules?  I'm a "member" at a local public course , and part of the fees pays for a handicap service by the Maryland State Golf Association.  As far as I am aware, my course does not publish any local rules.  The MSGA does, and since they are the handicaping service I use, do their rules apply to all of my rounds?  Or at least all rounds at courses associated with the MSGA? If so, it looks like no measuring devices are allowed at all and I'm required to walk every round.  I walk most rounds anyway, but that seems absurd to me.

Then again, the first heading on the page says "MSGA Championships," so maybe this only applies to specific events.  I don't think its very clear from the website.  However, if that's the case, then I just don't have any local rules?

Dan

:tmade: R11s 10.5*, Adila RIP Phenom 60g Stiff
:ping: G20 3W
:callaway: Diablo 3H
:ping:
i20 4-U, KBS Tour Stiff
:vokey: Vokey SM4 54.14 
:vokey: Vokey :) 58.11

:scotty_cameron: Newport 2
:sunmountain: Four 5

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by dsc123

This is really a basic thing that I'm surprised I've gone so far without understanding.  Somehow I totally missed the fact that you need a local rule to permit your use of a distance measuring device, which got me to investigate my local rules.

Where do I find my local rules?  I'm a "member" at a local public course, and part of the fees pays for a handicap service by the Maryland State Golf Association.  As far as I am aware, my course does not publish any local rules.  The MSGA does, and since they are the handicaping service I use, do their rules apply to all of my rounds?  Or at least all rounds at courses associated with the MSGA?  If so, it looks like no measuring devices are allowed at all and I'm required to walk every round.  I walk most rounds anyway, but that seems absurd to me.

Then again, the first heading on the page says "MSGA Championships," so maybe this only applies to specific events.  I don't think its very clear from the website.  However, if that's the case, then I just don't have any local rules?

There is a difference between tournament requirements and handicap requirements.  I don't think that any LR needs to be in effect for using a legal device (meaning no slope feature) for handicap rounds, only for competitions.  Most local level competitions do allow them.  I was a rules official for the Colorado Golf Association and they were allowed for all of our tournaments except the Colorado Open.  For handicap there was never any question.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Originally Posted by Dormie1360

Fourputt is correct.  Feel free to use your range finder and cart for handicap rounds.

Does the Handicap Manual reference the use of DMDs without a local rule ot is there a USGA nortice on the matter?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rulesman View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dormie1360 View Post

Fourputt is correct.  Feel free to use your range finder and cart for handicap rounds.

Does the Handicap Manual reference the use of DMDs without a local rule ot is there a USGA nortice on the matter?

From the USGA Handicapping Manual: Decision 5-1e/2

Quote:

5-1e/2. Scores Made Using a Distance-Measuring Device

Q: Are scores made using information generated from a Distance-Measuring Device acceptable for handicap purposes?

A: In certain situations, yes. If the Distance-Measuring Device measures distance only, the score is acceptable for handicap purposes, regardless of whether the Committee has established a Local Rule allowing the use of a distance-measuring device. However, the use of a device that gauges or measures other conditions that might affect a player's play (e.g., wind or gradient) is not permitted and makes the score unacceptable for handicap purposes, even if these capabilities are disabled or not used. (REVISED)

• Upvote 1

Rick

Handicap Manual notwithstanding, I do not see anywhere that the USGA/R&A; has delegated the creation of Local Rules to anyone other than the "Committee". Any "Committee" would appear to be specific to a single club, course or competition. From my perspective, the use of a laser rangefinder or GPS unit is contrary to the Rules (14-3) unless the course, club or competition specifically establishes a Local Rule allowing such equipment.

From a practical standpoint, in the USA public access courses rarely have a "Committee". I have yet to see any public course list a Local Rule related to distance measuring devices (I do see them in competitions). I think this is more an oversight on the part of the course rather than an affirmative decision by the course to prohibit lasers and GPS.

It seems reasonable to me for golfers in the US to assume there would be a Local Rule but for the inaction of the course and continue to use lasers and GPS units. The exception to this would be organized competitions where such an assumption could be costly. The USGA wants as many rounds recorded for handicap purposes as possible. I suspect that is why they have chosen to turn a blind eye toward the lack of a Local Rule and allow the posting of scores when one has used a distance measuring device.

Brian Kuehn

Originally Posted by bkuehn1952

I suspect that is why they have chosen to turn a blind eye toward the lack of a Local Rule and allow the posting of scores when one has used a distance measuring device.

And many other thing eg Lateral Hazards

Handicap Manual notwithstanding, I do not see anywhere that the USGA/R&A; has delegated the creation of Local Rules to anyone other than the "Committee". Any "Committee" would appear to be specific to a single club, course or competition. From my perspective, the use of a laser rangefinder or GPS unit is contrary to the Rules (14-3) unless the course, club or competition specifically establishes a Local Rule allowing such equipment.

This is why in Finland the National Golf Association has issued Local Rule which allows using DMD in all competitions and handicap rounds in Finland. So no need for each club to remember this.

From a practical standpoint, in the USA public access courses rarely have a "Committee". I have yet to see any public course list a Local Rule related to distance measuring devices (I do see them in competitions). I think this is more an oversight on the part of the course rather than an affirmative decision by the course to prohibit lasers and GPS.

It seems reasonable to me for golfers in the US to assume there would be a Local Rule but for the inaction of the course and continue to use lasers and GPS units. The exception to this would be organized competitions where such an assumption could be costly. The USGA wants as many rounds recorded for handicap purposes as possible. I suspect that is why they have chosen to turn a blind eye toward the lack of a Local Rule and allow the posting of scores when one has used a distance measuring device.

You would be wrong.  If the handicap manual says it's allowed for scores returned for handicap, who are you to say that they don't know what they are saying?  Also, not every possible contingency is written down - that's why Rule 1-4 exists.  I actually asked the instructor at the last rules workshop I attended, and he said that lacking a formal governing committee, a group of players can be considered as being their own committee for enacting approved local rules.  That includes such things as preferred lies, embedded ball through the green, and electronic measuring devices.  Public course golfers who play a regular Saturday fourball, but who aren't associated with any formal group shouldn't be denied the right to the advantages allowed for an organized club.

The key is "approved" local rules.  They don't have the authority to make hash of the rules of golf any more than any other entity does, but neither should they be denied the benefits of certain local rules just because they aren't a formal competition club.

Rick

What a ridiculous system! But thanks for the informative responses.

Dan

i20 4-U, KBS Tour Stiff

Originally Posted by luu5

This is why in Finland the National Golf Association has issued Local Rule which allows using DMD in all competitions and handicap rounds in Finland. So no need for each club to remember this.

Rule 33 say specifically ' The Committee may establish Local Rules .........'

The definition says 'The Committee is defined as The “ Committee ’’ is the committee in charge of the competition or, if the matter does not arise in a competition, the committee in charge of the course ' .

I doubt that the Finnish G olf Union has that authority unless they are responsible for every competition in Finland, a lthough m ost national authorities have made announcements that the Local Rule is in force in all the competitions for which they have responsibility,

The EGA handicap system requires scores to be returned for handicap purposes even if the LR is not in force and the player has been DQd for a breach of 14-3

Originally Posted by dsc123

What a ridiculous system! But thanks for the informative responses.

Ridiculous why?  When applied as written, the system actually works very well.  The reason that they don't prohibit measuring devices is because having such information can only lower one's handicap - it's not a sandbagging issue.  Also, it's my understanding that the USGA wanted the requirement reversed.   They wanted the devices to be allowed unless a local rule prohibited them, but the R&A; didn't want them allowed at all, so this was their compromise.  I don't have any evidence to support that hypothesis, but I've heard it mentioned in a couple of different venues.  That being the case, I can understand why the USGA is pretty lenient with the use of such devices.

Rick

Originally Posted by Fourputt

Ridiculous why?  When applied as written, the system actually works very well.  The reason that they don't prohibit measuring devices is because having such information can only lower one's handicap - it's not a sandbagging issue.  Also, it's my understanding that the USGA wanted the requirement reversed.   They wanted the devices to be allowed unless a local rule prohibited them, but the R&A; didn't want them allowed at all, so this was their compromise.  I don't have any evidence to support that hypothesis, but I've heard it mentioned in a couple of different venues.  That being the case, I can understand why the USGA is pretty lenient with the use of such devices.

Right.  On the other hand, not allowing them may not raise handicaps, but could instead just slow down play.  I can certainly figure out with sprinkler heads, a yardage book, and my feet exactly what that GPS is telling me but it's going to take a wee bit longer.  When I play in tournaments, that is exactly what I do.

Also, nevermind the fact that several courses now (at least around here) have GPS units built into the carts.  (I have a nasty bruise on the top of my head from the one on my cart from last Thursday!)

Originally Posted by Rulesman

I doubt that the Finnish Golf Union has that authority unless they are responsible for every competition in Finland, although most national authorities have made announcements that the Local Rule is in force in all the competitions for which they have responsibility,

Ups, true, I read and extrapolated the article too much. Finnish Golf Union has LR in effect in all competitions they are in charge of. For normal play and competitions they offer in the Competition Handbook the standard LR to be used. They also interestingly request the committee to consider the possible effect on pace of play before issuing the LR.

I just mean that we have a system of rules that are pretty complicated in themselves, and then there could be decisions interpreting the handicap manual that basically contradicts the rules.

In this case, for example.  DMDs are illegal.  But if you're playing where a committee governs the event or the course, then that committee can allow DMDs (so long as their not capable of doing anything illegal).  If you're playing at a local public course with no such rule, then using a DMD is cheating.  But the analysis must go beyond the rules.  The Handicap manual says you can only post scores if you played by the rules, generally.  But then there is a decision interpreting the Handicap manual that allows you to post scores using a DMD even where its against the rules.

Ridiculous in the resulting level of complication, not intention.

The part about anti-sandbagging doesn't quite get you there, in my opinion, since you can't take mulligans and report your score.  I guess it reflects the difference of opinion between the R&A; and USGA, as you explained it.  The R&A; has no say over the US HC system, so its allowed, while the rules reflect the compromise.

Dan

i20 4-U, KBS Tour Stiff

Originally Posted by Golfingdad

not allowing them may not raise handicaps, but could instead just slow down play.

Although I don't use a DMD, certainly the evidence I have seen over the last few years in high level amateur competitions is that those players with them are

a) generally faster than most without and

b) faster than they used to be (having refereed them for many years)

Although I did have to speak to one young player who waited for her caddy to take a DMD out of her bag and laser the distance, then laser it herself before putting her glove on and selecting a club.

You would be wrong.  If the handicap manual says it's allowed for scores returned for handicap, who are you to say that they don't know what they are saying?  Also, not every possible contingency is written down - that's why Rule 1-4 exists.  I actually asked the instructor at the last rules workshop I attended, and he said that lacking a formal governing committee, a group of players can be considered as being their own committee for enacting approved local rules.  That includes such things as preferred lies, embedded ball through the green, and electronic measuring devices.  Public course golfers who play a regular Saturday fourball, but who aren't associated with any formal group shouldn't be denied the right to the advantages allowed for an organized club.

The key is "approved" local rules.  They don't have the authority to make hash of the rules of golf any more than any other entity does, but neither should they be denied the benefits of certain local rules just because they aren't a formal competition club.

I don't recall stating that the writers of the Handicap Manual did not know what they were saying.  I was not trying to start an arguement but if you want to argue, at least don't start attributing statements to me that I did not make.

Rule 1--4 exists for points not covered by the Rules of Golf.  The Rules address distance measuring devices; they are not allowed absent a Local Rule.

Your Rules instructor seems to suggest that Rule 1-4 permits, in the absence of a course or club having a "Committee", a group of golfers to establish their own "Committee" in order to erect Local Rules.  That makes perfect sense.  Our "Club Without Real Estate" does exactly that in reference to stones in bunkers and distance measuring devices.  I am not so sure, however, that the USGA intended that a group of 4 players (or 3 or 2 or even 1) should have the power to establish Local Rules.  Maybe the USGA does intend for that to occur.  It seems reasonable.  Still I do not see anything specific in the Rules giving the idea their approval.

Brian Kuehn

Groups are not committees unless they are running a competition.

The “ Committee ’’ is the committee in charge of the competition or, if the matter does not arise in a competition, the committee in charge of the course .

33-8 . Local Rules

a . Policy

The Committee may establish Local Rules .................

Note: This thread is 4067 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!