IGNORED

Cleveland CG12 Zip Wedges... Don't

Note: This thread is 6121 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I hear Callaway MD's are pretty good as well as TM Y-cutters as well.... There's also the Wishon CX-Micro as well if you're into components. Based on test results (by a single digit golf enthusiast on a launch monitor) I've seen they can pretty much dish it up to anything else in the market.... Like over 'spinny' wedges though they can tear balls up pretty quickly though....

I think I still might get a CG12 black pearl. They are pretty cheap at sports authority right now, only 80 bucks.

They arnt any worse than a CG 10 or CG 11 correct?

MX500 9.5* S
Burrows Golf MAC Powersphere 3W
IDEA PRO Irons
Perfect Club 21*
IDEA PRO 3HSakamoto 54* X-tour 60* Newport 2 Pro Platinum Custom

I think I still might get a CG12 black pearl. They are pretty cheap at sports authority right now, only 80 bucks.

$80? Are you sure that isn't the CG10? Around here the CG10 is down to $80 but the CG12 is $110...

Driver: 09 Launcher 10.5
4 Wood: 09 Launcher Steel 17
Hybrid: Baffler DWS 20 Aldila Reg
Irons: AP1 4-GW Steel
Wedges: 588 Gunmetal 56 & 60Putter: Studio Style Newport 2Ball: NXT Tour

What is the best wedge for spin, besides the Vokey?

IMO the Callaway X-Tour w/ Mack Daddy spins more than any other wedge. Just be prepared to chew the face off some golf balls.

In the bag

909D3 8.5 Matrix Ozik XCon 7 X
Burner TP 14.5 Fujikura RE*AX SF TP 75 X
Idea Pro 20 RP Project X 6.0 X-Tour (2005) 4-PW RP Project X 6.0 X-Tour Chrome Wedges 50 and 54 RP Project X 5.5 X-Tour Vintage 60 w/ PM grind Teryllium Ten Newport 2 34" ProV1X

IMO the Callaway X-Tour w/ Mack Daddy spins more than any other wedge. Just be prepared to chew the face off some golf balls.

I bought a X-tour 60* 9* at sports authority for $82, good buy?

edit: I now read that the 58* 11 and 60* 11 were the only wedges special grooves. Crap, is there really any difference?

MX500 9.5* S
IDEA PRO Irons
Perfect Club 21*

I bought a X-tour 60* 9* at sports authority for $82, good buy?

Yes, there is a difference but you still made a good buy. I bought the 54 and 50 in the chrome with standard grooves and they still get plenty of spin (more than my CG10's that they replaced).

In the bag

909D3 8.5 Matrix Ozik XCon 7 X
Burner TP 14.5 Fujikura RE*AX SF TP 75 X
Idea Pro 20 RP Project X 6.0 X-Tour (2005) 4-PW RP Project X 6.0 X-Tour Chrome Wedges 50 and 54 RP Project X 5.5 X-Tour Vintage 60 w/ PM grind Teryllium Ten Newport 2 34" ProV1X

Yes, there is a difference but you still made a good buy. I bought the 54 and 50 in the chrome with standard grooves and they still get plenty of spin (more than my CG10's that they replaced).

Yea all I can say is that my X-tour wedge puts more spin than any wedge I have used, especially from the sand and rough. I have never spun a ball back from the sand before I used this wedge. I have never gotten a hop and stop from the rough before either, but this wedge performs like a champ. It scuffs balls up, but it is not all that bad as I was expecting. The worse I did all day was scrape a little piece of white off a Pro V1.

MX500 9.5* S
IDEA PRO Irons
Perfect Club 21*

• 3 weeks later...
My problem with Vokey is bounce. I hit the higher bounce wedges more consistently and in the 60-deg there is no bounce higher than 6-deg and I can't bring myself to carry two 60-deg wedges, one for sand and one for grass.

I love my 3-dot bounce CG12 60-deg.

In my Nexos
HiBore XLS Draw Driver
X-hybrid 4,5
Fusion Wide Sole 6-AW
Black Pearl CG10 54/14, CG12 DSG 64 Vokey SM Oil Can 60/8 Spider Pro V1x HX Hot Bite

• Administrator
My problem with Vokey is bounce. I hit the higher bounce wedges more consistently and in the 60-deg there is no bounce higher than 6-deg and I can't bring myself to carry two 60-deg wedges, one for sand and one for grass.

Both the 200 and Spin-Milled Vokeys are available in 60° models with 8° bounce.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Both the 200 and Spin-Milled Vokeys are available in 60° models with 8° bounce.

Thanks, I couldn't remember if it was 6 or 8. Either way it's not 12 or 14 which I like for a sand wedge.

Also, I assume the desire to spin the ball back is to make it roll naturally below the hole so the resulting putt is up hill?

In my Nexos
HiBore XLS Draw Driver
X-hybrid 4,5
Fusion Wide Sole 6-AW
Black Pearl CG10 54/14, CG12 DSG 64 Vokey SM Oil Can 60/8 Spider Pro V1x HX Hot Bite

• Administrator
Thanks, I couldn't remember if it was 6 or 8. Either way it's not 12 or 14 which I like for a sand wedge.

I will spin the ball on purpose with the wedges on a few occasions. For example:

• When the pin is in the front and I can hit to the middle of the green and pull it back towards the flag
  • When there's a backstop I want to utilize
  • Occasionally I'll try to spin the ball to the right, but it's usually a combination of the first and second items here but in a rightward direction rather than a back-to-front direction.
The 60 should be your versatile club. I'm not sure how you're going to hit very many successful flop shots, particularly from bare lies, with 12 or 14° of bounce. I like my 4, and even with an 8 you can open it up slightly to get to 12 or 14. Far be it from me to tell anyone what clubs to play, but I will just say you may want to rethink the strategy a little.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

You are right, no flop shots with the high-bounce wedge. I have a spin-milled Vokey 60/4 that I do not carry because I am not that confident in my flop shot and I can't hit it consistently without opening the face. If I am short-sided on the fringe, I either putt (first cut) or chip (rough) knowing I will not be able to make the ball stop and it is going to roll past the hole.

But I keep practicing with it, so someday...

In my Nexos
HiBore XLS Draw Driver
X-hybrid 4,5
Fusion Wide Sole 6-AW

Since we're talking about 60 degree wedge bounce let me also say that I think 10-14 degrees of bounce is too much, at least for me. 8 would probably be the highest I'd want to go and that may be a tad high. I had a CG10 2 dot and that had 10 or 12 degrees of bounce and it was fine from the rough but from a tighter lie or chipping from the fairway it was awful. My 60 now has 3 degrees of bounce and I like it a lot better. Just my 2 cents.

i had a xtour forged lob that i loved, but the bounce was just way too much for any opened face type shots. it had 11 degrees of bounce on it, and i found it really tough to hit a lob type shot in most situations. i dont fool with those flops too much cuz theyre risky, but there are times when they are necessary and the 11 bounce just wasnt cool. im suprised the cg12's get so little spin, with grooves that big id think theyd rip back the ball.

Driver: r7 460 TP 10.5 w/Ozik Altus SX
3 Wood: Tour Proto 14.5 w/Ozik Xcon7 SX
Hybrid: Tour Proto. A2TS 19 w/ Matrix Ozik Altus HB SX
Irons: R7tp w/project x 6.0
Wedges: spin milled 56 w/ Proj. x 5.5 XTour60putter: Monza CorzaBall: Pro V1/ whatevers in my bag.

Erik, how did they perform from longer grass? Did you notice any increase in spin from the rough? From what I've read, that is more what they were looking to achieve
Driver - TaylorMade R9 460 10.5°
3 Wood - TaylotMade Burner Tour
3 & 4 Hybrids - Adams a7
Irons - R7 tp 5-PW
Wedges - Vokey SM Black Nickel - 52º - 56º - 60ºPutter - Scotty Cameron California - SonomaSkyCaddie - SG4Lowest Round - 68 - Par 72 /67.6/120Lowest Tournament Round - 69 -...

• Administrator
Erik, how did they perform from longer grass? Did you notice any increase in spin from the rough? From what I've read, that is more what they were looking to achieve

I think I said in the review that from the rough they stopped a little more quickly than previous Cleveland wedges, but nowhere near as quickly as spin-milled or Y-cutter wedges. If I didn't, let me know so I can clarify that in the review itself.

I think I said in the review that from the rough they stopped a little more quickly than previous Cleveland wedges, but nowhere near as quickly as spin-milled or Y-cutter wedges. If I didn't, let me know so I can clarify that in the review itself.

yes you did... sorry I didnt notice first time through

Driver - TaylorMade R9 460 10.5°
3 Wood - TaylotMade Burner Tour
3 & 4 Hybrids - Adams a7
Irons - R7 tp 5-PW
Wedges - Vokey SM Black Nickel - 52º - 56º - 60ºPutter - Scotty Cameron California - SonomaSkyCaddie - SG4Lowest Round - 68 - Par 72 /67.6/120Lowest Tournament Round - 69 -...

FYI - I just saw the CG10 Wedges (both Satin and Black Pearl) marked down to $69.99 at a local golf store here. Not saying they'll still be available everywhere at that price but I think if you're considering the CG12, it's worth taking a look at the CG10 and saving 40 or 50 bucks.

Note: This thread is 6121 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!