• Announcements

• iacas

Visit FlagstickRule.com   03/13/2017

Visit the site flagstickrule.com to read about and sign a petition for the USGA/R&A regarding the one terrible rule in the proposed "modernized" rules for 2019.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Kieran123

54.10 for Sand Wedge - enough bounce?

8 posts in this topic

Hey guys,

I recently got a new SW with 54* of loft and 10* of bounce.

After reading a bit more on what a SW should be, it seems that it may not be a great combination.

Any thoughts?

My 54/10 is a great all around wedge. I have no idea if you are a picker or digger, play in soft conditions, or if you need a lot of bounce. Either way, 54/10 is a popular set-up with medium bounce.

10* is a great amount of bounce.  My, "sand" wedge is a 54/10 and its very versatile.  I can hit a variety of shots out of any kind of lie.

Depends on your swing style as Tourspoon suggested.  I use a 54-14 and 58-12, but I am a bit of a digger on full shots.  I have no issue with this amount of bounce on pitches and chips.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Don't just worry about bounce. I played a 54* + 58* last season, but had trouble getting out of the sand with the 54* if the bunker had any lip.

I dumped these two wedges, and replaced them with a 56*.

My sand wedge is a 56 with 14 degrees of bounce. I went with the highest bounce model available on the brand of wedge i went with. The 56.14 combo seems ideal for a SW and the conditions we get here.

Who's to say what "enough" is......

I prefer a little more.  My SW is a 56-14 which l like for softer bunkers, but you're good enough that you likely don't have any trouble.  When you open it up, your effective bounce increases anyways.  What I really like the extra bounce for is those little 60 foot pitches because I have a bit of a tendency to dig.