IGNORED

DQ Brandel Chamblee from the Golf Channel

club ho
Note: This thread is 3900 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by RonTheSavage

Chamblee is dying to be the Skip Bayless of the Golf World.

That's absurd. Chambliss is a little annoying with his demeanor, but I think his evaluations are based on serious analysis. Bayless just says things to push buttons. He is the biggest a-hole on television.

Bill M

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I have to wonder how much of what Bayless says is what he actually thinks and what ESPN wants him to say. I've watched that show for years and there are times that I really like Bayless and others where what he says makes me wanna puke. Chamblee seems to do alot of grand-standing in my eyes.

Ron :nike: GOLF Embracing my Angry Black Male :mad:

Now that was funny...........On one hand I respect anyone who speaks their mind like Chamblee does. On the other hand in a game like golf where it's soooooooooo freakin hard, I dont think a guy with one win is the right guy to listen to on this subject. His whole Michael Jordan analogy to me was off base here's way. I understand where he was trying to go, he said that you wouldnt catch MJ working on the fundamentals of free throw shooting before an NBA Finals game, so Tiger shouldnt have the glove under his arm pit on the range before a Major. That wuld be true if Tiger hadnt changed his swing/technique so many times over the years. NBA players for the most part have the same jumper they graduated high school with so you cant really compare the two.................In my humble still learning golf 24 Handicap opinion. LOL

Tiger's problems are his head and nerves. Haney used to say Tiger was perfect on the range, but nervous on the first hole. Like most of us, the range doesn't always translate to the game. Tiger is also slow to change - Haney's words again. He'd mention a slight adjustment, Tiger would ignore it, and then 4 months later, Tiger would mention it.

Tiger does not sound or act - trusting.

Because of his nerves and his propensity to lash at the ball, I think he ought to do a Mickelson - get a 43.5 inch driver for more control and slightly higher loft - land in the fairway with distance and then let the better parts of your game do the work, irons, wedges, and sometimes, the putter.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

Quote:

Originally Posted by phan52

That's absurd. Chambliss is a little annoying with his demeanor, but I think his evaluations are based on serious analysis. Bayless just says things to push buttons. He is the biggest a-hole on television.

I have to wonder how much of what Bayless says is what he actually thinks and what ESPN wants him to say. I've watched that show for years and there are times that I really like Bayless and others where what he says makes me wanna puke. Chamblee seems to do alot of grand-standing in my eyes.

Well, I'm no expert, but I totally agree with Chambliss when it comes to Tiger. Tiger grew up playing the game by instinct and his game was refined further by Butch Harmon, with little technical interference other than to try to get him to shorten his swing a little to keep it in play off the tee. Now he's wondering where his hips are or where his elbow is at any given time. Paralysis by analysis and it is all because of Sean Foley.

JMO.

Bill M

When I see Tiger run away at Firestone and then finish middle of the pack at Oak Hill ...

I know he likes Firestone, but c'mon, that is ridiculous. I think this is getting into his head. Watching him try to hit driver, or even push that fairway wood on the tee ..., you know he is going to miss the fairway. Can't win majors from the rough.

Regarding whether in today's tech advanced TV world scorecards still make sense for tour events:

Originally Posted by iacas Paper scorecards are like documents or contracts. They state - with a signature - that "I attest to this scorecard."

Paper scorecards are something the player can directly control during the round. They can't operate the scoring computer during the round. It speaks to the personal responsibility of each player.

Electronic scoring could lead to mistakes, and if a computer makes a mistake, we wouldn't know who to blame OR what was correct. The player may be unavailable, etc.

Paper scorecards are simple, and effective.

"The eyes of millions" don't even apply to every shot hit by the leaders, let alone the tens or hundreds of golfers who play without even a crowd early Thursday mornings, early Sunday mornings, etc.

Paper scorecards are traditional.

I agree with all of this and would add that no amount of TV cameras can pick up everything that applies to the rules of golf. If we relied on cameras a player could make an infraction that is obvious to himself, but not obvious to the cameras because he isn't on camera. In such a case he could just go about his round and not have to attest to anything, and we'd end up with a wrong lower score for this player than is justified.

This is why I no longer bet with players that are not in my group. I have bet with guys that I later found were "rolling the ball over" all over the course. I was playing it down. Not the same game at all.

Originally Posted by 9iron

When I see Tiger run away at Firestone and then finish middle of the pack at Oak Hill ...

I know he likes Firestone, but c'mon, that is ridiculous. I think this is getting into his head. Watching him try to hit driver, or even push that fairway wood on the tee ..., you know he is going to miss the fairway. Can't win majors from the rough.

This is something that Brandel predicted (along with everyone else). At Firestone you can miss or hit an iron, at Oak Hill tee shots must hit their mark. Some has to be in his head, but really Oak Hill doesn't suit his game the way Firestone does (or Doral, Bay Hill, Torrey Pines, Augusta, etc.).

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5*| Rad Tour 18.5*  | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1 | Vice Pro Plus  

Now that was funny...........On one hand I respect anyone who speaks their mind like Chamblee does. On the other hand in a game like golf where it's soooooooooo freakin hard, I dont think a guy with one win is the right guy to listen to on this subject. His whole Michael Jordan analogy to me was off base here's way. I understand where he was trying to go, he said that you wouldnt catch MJ working on the fundamentals of free throw shooting before an NBA Finals game, so Tiger shouldnt have the glove under his arm pit on the range before a Major. That wuld be true if Tiger hadnt changed his swing/technique so many times over the years. NBA players for the most part have the same jumper they graduated high school with so you cant really compare the two.................In my humble still learning golf 24 Handicap opinion. LOL

Johnny Miller has loads more than 1 win on the PGA Tour, and we see the same exact comments about him when he says something the Tiger fans dislike. That suggests it has nothing to do with who is critiquing Tiger's game, but more to do with Tiger's fans being overly sensitive to any criticism of Tiger Woods.

Johnny Miller has loads more than 1 win on the PGA Tour, and we see the same exact comments about him when he says something the Tiger fans dislike. That suggests it has nothing to do with who is critiquing Tiger's game, but more to do with Tiger's fans being overly sensitive to any criticism of Tiger Woods.

If they are overly senstive about the things that Miller and Chamblee say about Tiger, then John Feinstein better have a bodyguard.

Bill M

Originally Posted by TourSpoon

This is something that Brandel predicted (along with everyone else). At Firestone you can miss or hit an iron, at Oak Hill tee shots must hit their mark. Some has to be in his head, but really Oak Hill doesn't suit his game the way Firestone does (or Doral, Bay Hill, Torrey Pines, Augusta, etc.).

TS, a lot of the upcoming venues for the US Open and PGA are going to absolutely require driver. Pinehurst, Chambers Bay, Erin Hills, Whistling Straits, Valhalla, Oakmont, and Baltusrol all require many drivers to be hit. If Tiger can't hit that club then he will struggle imo.

If they are overly senstive about the things that Miller and Chamblee say about Tiger, then John Feinstein better have a bodyguard.

Tiger fans strike me more as Tiger fans than golf fans. How else can it be explained that thousands of "fans" will walk with Tiger while he is 10 back on a Sunday final round? That suggests you like Tiger more than you like the game of golf. An anecdotal story from this past US Open at Merion CC. It is late on Saturday and my buds and I are lined up alongside the 18th fairway talking about who might win it on Sunday. The final pairing is playing the hole, so we basically know where the entire field stands.

Tiger is about 10 shots back, but also 30 places behind the leader. Two obvious "Tiger fans" walk right up to us to admonish us to "watch out for Tiger on Sunday". We all look at them as if they don't understand how the game works, which was probably fairly close to the truth. I try to explain to them that 10 shots isn't impossible, and that passing 30 players is also not impossible, but doing both basically IS impossible. They called us "haters" on the spot. This is why you can't take them seriously.

Maybe walking with Tiger is what people chose to do until the main event. (Duffner/Furyk) What are they supposed to do, huddle by the first tee for hours???? Tiger went on in the AM right? If you spend your money on tickets Im sure most people like to make an all day event out of it. It's crazy you generalize Tiger fans as not golf fans. That just sounds silly

Quote:

Tiger fans strike me more as Tiger fans than golf fans. How else can it be explained that thousands of "fans" will walk with Tiger while he is 10 back on a Sunday final round? That suggests you like Tiger more than you like the game of golf. An anecdotal story from this past US Open at Merion CC. It is late on Saturday and my buds and I are lined up alongside the 18th fairway talking about who might win it on Sunday. The final pairing is playing the hole, so we basically know where the entire field stands.

Tiger is about 10 shots back, but also 30 places behind the leader. Two obvious "Tiger fans" walk right up to us to admonish us to "watch out for Tiger on Sunday". We all look at them as if they don't understand how the game works, which was probably fairly close to the truth. I try to explain to them that 10 shots isn't impossible, and that passing 30 players is also not impossible, but doing both basically IS impossible. They called us "haters" on the spot. This is why you can't take them seriously.

I was playing Saturday morning with a friend who is an avid Tiger fan (he always bitches about the "raw deal" Tiger gets from the media, I kid you not). I casually said that I wondered what CBS will do considering that Tiger was going to be finishing around the same time that the leaders will be teeing off. He got all huffy and called me a hater.

Seriously, Tiger gets a raw deal? He gets all the attention, all of the time. And all the negative stuff he brought on himself. I do like it better when Tiger is in contention because, then, there is at least a good reason to see his every move. I reallly am not interested in seeing Tiger play meaningless golf.

Bill M

Maybe walking with Tiger is what people chose to do until the main event. (Duffner/Furyk) What are they supposed to do, huddle by the first tee for hours???? Tiger went on in the AM right? If you spend your money on tickets Im sure most people like to make an all day event out of it. It's crazy you generalize Tiger fans as not golf fans. That just sounds silly

Unfortunately, the Tour does not have a regular stop in Philly. but the ATT National played for two years at Aronimink. Tiger played the first year and not the second. The fields otherwise were strong and very comparable. The year Tiger played, they got 206,000 people and they had to stop selling tickets. The year he didn't play they got 160,000.

That's a high percentage of people who would only come because of Tiger.

Bill M

Count me as one of those who would only shell out dough for tickets to see Tiger. I dont thnk that makes me any less of a golf fan. I just also enjoy watching golf in HD with my pajamas on.

Count me as one of those who would only shell out dough for tickets to see Tiger. I dont thnk that makes me any less of a golf fan. I just also enjoy watching golf in HD with my pajamas on.

Hello? You'd only pay to see Tiger. Nobody else. You are the definition of a Tiger fan.

Note: This thread is 3900 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!