IGNORED

New help finding new driver

MULVn8tor
Note: This thread is 4021 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by MS256

Because 290-300 yards doesn't amount to a hill of beans if it's in the woods. Sometimes it's the arrow and sometimes it's the Indian but the Indian might as well have a straight arrow so he knows it's him.

Nothing worse than struggling with a club that doesn't fit and making all kinds of adjustments to try to make it work, and ending up with different swings for different clubs.

Problem is buying another driver off of the rack is only buying another lottery ticket. Good thing about it is that Rick can then buy that driver at half price a month later when they buy another lottery ticket because they couldn't hit that one.

Sometimes something as simple as some lead tape or a hack saw can turn a driver that doesn't fit into one that does. Sometimes the shaft is so wrong it's beyond help.

MS256, I don't want to second guess you, because I generally find your posts to be sound, reasonable, and insightful.  That being said, the question that I have is...

How much difference does a club really make?

I got fit for my recent driver.  I will agree that different setups had different spin characteristics, some clubs went higher and shorter, others went more on a penetrating line and longer.  However, I have always struggled with an over the top slice.  All of the clubs I hit ended up right (left handed player) of the ideal target line.  On the monitor, some of the clubs were 5-8 yards off the target and would be playable, others were 30-40 yards off.  I selected one that was 5-8 yards off.  That being said, on my home course, every driver I have played over the last 3 years have ended up in exactly the same spots.  A good swing is in the fairway, and a bad swing is in the woods.  The latest drivers have been not as far in the woods, and further in the fairway.  Still, good swing=good result and bad swing=trouble.

A driver, regardless of the shaft or brand printed on the head went right, some more than others, but a slice is a slice regardless of the club.  I am not talking about a 10 yard baby fade.  I am talking about a 290 yard drive that is 40 yards off the target in the woods.  I believe that no club will fix that slice.  If anything will mask a slice like that it is the ball more than the club, but even then it will make a 40 yard slice a 30 yard slice.

A slice is a swing fault, and besides the mental confidence or lack there of, a new club isn't going to fix a swing fault.

Again, I don't want to tell somebody not to buy a club when they are considering it.  To be fair, several people buy a new club and just the mental confidence that club gives them helps them hit it straighter (I think the quote that applies here is the most important muscle in golf is the one between your ears)  I just want to share the experience that clubs (no matter how magical) rarely turn the weekend duffer into Jason Dufner.

In my bag:

some golf clubs

a few golf balls

a bag of tee's some already broken the rest soon to be

a snickers wrapper (if you have seen me play, you would know you are not going anywhere for a while)

and an empty bottle of water

Originally Posted by clearwaterms

MS256, I don't want to second guess you, because I generally find your posts to be sound, reasonable, and insightful.  That being said, the question that I have is...

How much difference does a club really make?

I got fit for my recent driver.  I will agree that different setups had different spin characteristics, some clubs went higher and shorter, others went more on a penetrating line and longer.  However, I have always struggled with an over the top slice.  All of the clubs I hit ended up right (left handed player) of the ideal target line.  On the monitor, some of the clubs were 5-8 yards off the target and would be playable, others were 30-40 yards off.  I selected one that was 5-8 yards off.  That being said, on my home course, every driver I have played over the last 3 years have ended up in exactly the same spots.  A good swing is in the fairway, and a bad swing is in the woods.  The latest drivers have been not as far in the woods, and further in the fairway.  Still, good swing=good result and bad swing=trouble.

A driver, regardless of the shaft or brand printed on the head went right, some more than others, but a slice is a slice regardless of the club.  I am not talking about a 10 yard baby fade.  I am talking about a 290 yard drive that is 40 yards off the target in the woods.  I believe that no club will fix that slice.  If anything will mask a slice like that it is the ball more than the club, but even then it will make a 40 yard slice a 30 yard slice.

A slice is a swing fault, and besides the mental confidence or lack there of, a new club isn't going to fix a swing fault.

Again, I don't want to tell somebody not to buy a club when they are considering it.  To be fair, several people buy a new club and just the mental confidence that club gives them helps them hit it straighter (I think the quote that applies here is the most important muscle in golf is the one between your ears)  I just want to share the experience that clubs (no matter how magical) rarely turn the weekend duffer into Jason Dufner.

All of that is true and a club is not going to fix a swing that doesn't work...But the wrong club certainly isn't going to make it any easier and the worse we are the harder it is to hit a poorly fitted club. The best player I know, and the best ball striker I've ever seen, can't even hit a driver that is completely wrong for him. He can certainly come closer to hitting it than I can but he can't hit it nearly as well as he can hit his own club that fits him.

The difference is that with the wrong club he might miss the part of the fairway he's trying to hit, and I might be in the woods. So it's actually more important that I have the right club than it is for him. Plus I hit the ball a little farther than he does so that increases my chances of missing the fairway even more.

Get the right arrow and then work on the Indian.

P.S. I don't mind somebody disagreeing with me.

• Upvote 1

Because 290-300 yards doesn't amount to a hill of beans if it's in the woods. Sometimes it's the arrow and sometimes it's the Indian but the Indian might as well have a straight arrow so he knows it's him.

Nothing worse than struggling with a club that doesn't fit and making all kinds of adjustments to try to make it work, and ending up with different swings for different clubs.

Problem is buying another driver off of the rack is only buying another lottery ticket. Good thing about it is that Rick can then buy that driver at half price a month later when they buy another lottery ticket because they couldn't hit that one.

Sometimes something as simple as some lead tape or a hack saw can turn a driver that doesn't fit into one that does. Sometimes the shaft is so wrong it's beyond help.

There was nothing said about hitting it bad or in the woods.

Dirver: Mizuno JPX 825 9,5 Fujikura Orochi Red Eye Stiff 65 g.
3 wood: Mizuno JPX 825 14 Fujikura Orochi Red Eye Stiff 75 g.
Hybrid: Mizuno JPX 825 18 Fujikura Orochi Red Eye Stiff 85 g. 
Irons: Mizuno MP 59 3 / PW KBS Tour stiff shaft ( Golf Pride Niion )
Wedges: Taylormade ATV Wedges 52 and 58 ( Golf Pride Niion )
putter: Taylormade ghost series 770 35 inch ( Super Stroke slim 3.0 )
Balls: Taylormade TP 5

Originally Posted by tomvk77

There was nothing said about hitting it bad or in the woods.

Really? Well technically the OP said "bushes" when he said this:

" I know it's probably not the club but whenever I pull it out I get a mental thought were I know I'm going to slice. I have no confidence in it. Hitting it that far just makes my ball go further into the bushes."

So technically you are right.

Really? Well technically the OP said "bushes" when he said this:

" I know it's probably not the club but whenever I pull it out I get a mental thought were I know I'm going to slice. I have no confidence in it. Hitting it that far just makes my ball go further into the bushes."

So technically you are right.

actually, he is correct, the OP is right (as in direction) sorry, the word play couldn't be ignored.

In my bag:

some golf clubs

a few golf balls

a bag of tee's some already broken the rest soon to be

a snickers wrapper (if you have seen me play, you would know you are not going anywhere for a while)

and an empty bottle of water

Originally Posted by clearwaterms

actually, he is correct, the OP is right (as in direction) sorry, the word play couldn't be ignored.

"Right" is more "correct" than "correct" in the hillbilly dictionary. Saying things like "you are correct" will have people thinking you are a tourist around here. Ha ha!

sorry missed that one

Dirver: Mizuno JPX 825 9,5 Fujikura Orochi Red Eye Stiff 65 g.
3 wood: Mizuno JPX 825 14 Fujikura Orochi Red Eye Stiff 75 g.
Hybrid: Mizuno JPX 825 18 Fujikura Orochi Red Eye Stiff 85 g. 
Irons: Mizuno MP 59 3 / PW KBS Tour stiff shaft ( Golf Pride Niion )
Wedges: Taylormade ATV Wedges 52 and 58 ( Golf Pride Niion )
putter: Taylormade ghost series 770 35 inch ( Super Stroke slim 3.0 )
Balls: Taylormade TP 5

We all obviously know how easy it is to jump on the "NUH-UH!" wagon when it comes to golf distances being posted, but driving the ball with such a severe slice that the ball is not in play and is still 290-300 yards out is highly, highly unbelievable.

On a different note, just go and demo drivers and see which one works for you. My preference for a Cobra S3/AMP/AMP Cell/ZL Encore is not going to do you any good if you swing an R11 better but think the ZL is "prettier".

Originally Posted by Spyder

We all obviously know how easy it is to jump on the "NUH-UH!" wagon when it comes to golf distances being posted, but driving the ball with such a severe slice that the ball is not in play and is still 290-300 yards out is highly, highly unbelievable.

On a different note, just go and demo drivers and see which one works for you. My preference for a Cobra S3/AMP/AMP Cell/ZL Encore is not going to do you any good if you swing an R11 better but think the ZL is "prettier".

I never doubt anybody's total distance they post. I know some really long hitters that aren't very good and very seldom know where the ball is going.

Plus some courses have fairways that run out like an airport runway.

On our course what you carry is pretty much what you get. Pretty easy to keep track of carry distance playing there because there's a 285 yard par four, slightly uphill, and we all know who can carry that green and who can't, and most people that come there for the first time are very surprised that they can't.

I never doubt anybody's total distance they post. I know some really long hitters that aren't very good and very seldom know where the ball is going.

Plus some courses have fairways that run out like an airport runway.

On our course what you carry is pretty much what you get. Pretty easy to keep track of carry distance playing there because there's a 285 yard par four, slightly uphill, and we all know who can carry that green and who can't, and most people that come there for the first time are very surprised that they can't.

I never doubt either because after all, it is the internet and arguing distances is going to get us no where . But when it comes to offering sound advice that applies to someone personally and directly, I definitely expect to receive accurate and honest information. I would rather help someone who is honestly hitting their driver, admittedly, with little accuracy and struggling with a slice who happens to mention that they are not sure how far they are hitting the ball. A severe slice already takes away a massive amount of distance, so it's very hard to imagine that one with very little knowledge of the game is hitting the ball 300 with a flawed swing.

I'll bow out of the thread, respectfully though, so as not to derail or cause distance arguments. I just have a tendency to lose patience with requests for help when the information given is worthy of Sci-Fi channel. Plus the general topic is so hit, tired and worn out.

I know what my problem with the driver is. It's cause I tuck in my right elbow to the body therefor opening the face big time. I don't care if you guys Believe my distances because I know what I hit and don't need your ok The thing is I hit my buddy's r1 and was just killing it with a slight draw. I can't afford an r1 though

Originally Posted by MULVn8tor

Ok so at 2nd swing golf I can get a r11, r11s or zl encore white all for around the same price. Anyone play them or think ones better?

I've found 2nd swing golf to be way overpriced. Try Globalgolf.com or Rockbottomgolf.com. I wouldnt buy a headcover from 2nd swing

Ron :nike: GOLF Embracing my Angry Black Male :mad:

Originally Posted by RonTheSavage

I've found 2nd swing golf to be way overpriced. Try Globalgolf.com or Rockbottomgolf.com. I wouldnt buy a headcover from 2nd swing

This has been my experience as well.

Dave :-)

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

290-300 yard slice, have trouble believing it. Also how would even measure that if you only slice it? If I slice a drive it doesn't matter how far it went its a horrible shot and there is no need to figure your distance, that sounds like something my friends do when they go play a round, I mean drink a round, more concerned with far of a drive they hit rather than the score they shot. If it ain't in the fairway who cares how far it goes. I think your post was designed to toot your own horn, and not to gain any knowledge. IMO

Dude you just sound like a complet ass.. Not all my drives are huge slices some are fades that stay in the fairway. You're the one who sounds like you are jealous and get off on making fun of people? IMO

Note: This thread is 4021 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!