IGNORED

Sergio's First Major - Random Thoughts

iacas
Note: This thread is 6125 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Administrator
Yeah, Sergio is really cracking, which I am surprised with. Oh well, makes for an interesting next hour or so!

He's tied for the lead again, though. It's almost a two-man race now: Harrington and Garcia at -9.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not a Sergio fan and I don't like his 'in your face' trashin' at the Ryder Cup.

I guess you'd prefer to see the whole American team, their wives and a handfull of drunken supporters charging about greens like a heard of elephants ala Brookline?

Taylormade r7 460
Callaway X 3 Wood
Callaway X 5 Wood
Callaway X 7 Wood
Callaway X Hybrid (24*)TaylorMade r7 Irons (5-PW)Mizuno MP-R Series Wedges (52,58 degrees)Ping G2 Anser Putter

• Administrator
I guess you'd prefer to see the whole American team, their wives and a handfull of drunken supporters charging about greens like a heard of elephants ala Brookline?

They didn't run on Olazabal's line and the players were rightly criticized for the early celebration.

There's also a bit of a difference between trash talk and celebration. Personally, I don't have a problem with Sergio's banter in the Ryder Cup - he backs it up with performance.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Sergio is a polarizing figure, but I've always liked him...seems to have a good personality and I appreciate his passion. His passion however, seems to lack the killer instinct and nerves of steel needed to close out tournaments, especially majors. It wouldn't bother me if he wins tomorrow, but I predict he'll show up wearing a hideous outfit (e.g. last year's British Open pale yellow crap) and blow it. I really hope he doesn't but if I was a betting man I wouldn't bet on him pulling it out - too much history against it.

LOOKS LIKE I WAS RIGHT....MAYBE I SHOULD BE A BETTING MAN!

He's tied for the lead again, though. It's almost a two-man race now: Harrington and Garcia at -9.

A spontaneous celebration over a dramatic and unexpected putt is one thing. Sergio's 18 hole antics on every day of competition is over the top.

But, it's a moot point now. That monkey on his back just got a little bigger and the demons are breeding like rabbits.

Bury me with a golf glove in my pocket - just in case!

what a great finish, and even though Garcia didn't win it, still give hims props, Harrington played very well today, congratulations to him.

right around the turn is the PGA Championship....can't wait.

I couldn't believe what happened today. Paddy played really well but did anyone notice at the stretch his tempo was way off, he couldn't get to the ball and hit it any faster. Sergio had the championship and just couldn't pull it off, the last couple holes he went back to his old self. I couldn't believe my eyes watching him during the week, he was striking the ball well ( as always) but his putting was incredible. I feel pretty bad for the guy. I used to not like him because I felt as if he though he was better than Tiger. I would have liked to see him win. All in all, not a bad day. Until next year...

Daniel Duarte
905R UST Proforce V2 76g 44" S
904F 15, Graphite Design YS6+
MD Hybrid, 19 Degree, UST V2 Hybrid S
Pro M Gunmetal 5-PW, Nippon 1150GH Pro SVokey Oil Can 52 - RAWVokey Spin Milled Oil Can 56, 60 - RAWTEI3 Newport II - Torch Copper- Prov1x

What's wrong with elephants - they're kind of cool, no?

Driver: Ping Rapture V2 9° TFS Stiff | 3 wood: Exotics CB 15° Fujikura HL Stiff | Hybrids: Adams Idea Tech V3 16° Stiff, TM Burner Rescue 19° & 22° REAX Stiff | Irons: Titleist 735.CM DG S300 5-PW | Wedges: Vokey Oil Can 254.10, 258.08 | Putter: Rossa Imola 34"

• Administrator
This about sums up my thoughts: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/19904946/

Great link Erik. It is now official for me, I hate Sergio Garcia. What a damn puke, he needs to be slapped. I read some of the comments he made and thought they were a bit outlandish, but to see them all in print in one place really sums it up.

I used to pull for him because I knew he's got talent and that he could, with the confidence he needs, rival TW and make for some exciting future majors, but if he pisses and moans every time he loses screw him.

Especially the whole "other guys hit the pin and it drops, mine goes 20 feet away." whine, that is ridiculous to say that. I've personally seen tons of great shots get robbed because they hit the pin and caromed off the green, in the rough, shoot once I saw a guy nearly swish and it ricocheted into the water! Go from a near 2 to a hard fought bogey just like that.

Yep, I never really loved the guy but I thought he was talented and would be interesting to see him win some big ones, now I wouldn't piss on him if he was on fire.
"You lick the lollipop of mediocrity once and you'll suck forever."

HiBORE XLS 9.5* Fujikura Fit On (Gold) (s) shaft | HiBORE XLS 15* 3w Fujikura Fit On (Gold) (s) shaft | 585h 21* | MP 57 4-pw w/Dynamic Gold s-300 shaft | 53* 56* Rac Chrome 60* Rac Satin | Monza Corza DB 35" | Tour ix
Home...

I'm not a huge Sergio fan either, but I think any quotes from Sunday night have to be taken in context. I don't think I'd be thinking rationally after just giving away a major.
Driver G5 , 10.5 Degrees
3 Wood X-Hot
Hybrid Rescue Dual 3 Hybrid
Irons LCG 4-PW
Wedges Tour WedgesPutter Monza CorzaBall NXT or Pro V1

That's an excellent article.

I was rooting against Sergio too. ALL THE WAY. And it has nothing to do with European vs. American, I was thrilled to see Harrington take it. Actually, it's great to see an Irishman take it on European soil, it must be an honor to win such a title in Scotland, the birthplace of golf!

Sergio is a complete headcase. What an amazing turn of events, he brought it ALL upon himself. Did you hear that press conference? He mentioned that he's not only competing against the field, but as if he's facing GOD or some other force of nature or supreme being! Give me a break. I'd love to chalk it up to youth, but he lost that card about 5 years ago.
WITB

Callaway FT-5 11°
Callaway X-HOT 15°
Sonartec HB-001 19° & 23°Callaway X-22 5-PWTitleist Vokey 200 Series 52°Titleist Vokey Spin Milled 56°Titleist Vokey Special Grind 60°Scotty Cameron Mizuno M-100

I'm not a huge Sergio fan either, but I think any quotes from Sunday night have to be taken in context. I don't think I'd be thinking rationally after just giving away a major.

I bet Jack, Arnie, Tiger......etc. were just as upset when they didn't win. Sergio has no character. He has no class. At 27, it is time to realize that his flaws can't be blamed on maturity but on his personality.

Great link Erik.
"The most likely way for the world to be destroyed, most experts agree , is by accident. That's where we come in; we're computer professionals. We cause accidents"

-Nathaniel Bornenstein

• Administrator
I bet Jack, Arnie, Tiger......etc. were just as upset when they didn't win. Sergio has no character. He has no class. At 27, it is time to realize that his flaws can't be blamed on maturity but on his personality.

Also, this thought just occurred to me: how classless is Sergio for saying he had all this "bad luck" and stuff? I mean, instead of congratulating Padraig and giving him his rightfully earned credit and dues, Sergio acts as if Harrington's win was a fluke.

Were I Harrington, I'd be completely pissed at Sergio right now. No doubt Harrington is too overwhelmingly happy to think anything of Garcia right now, but as an observer, that's how I feel: Sergio basically gave no credit to Harrington for coming back from six down and kicking his butt in the playoff.

I remember when Colin Montgomerie was going through similar bitterness. Difference is that Colin overcame it - Sergio better or he's not going to win anything with that kind of attitude - he needs to grow up and be a man.

Driver: Ping Rapture V2 9° TFS Stiff | 3 wood: Exotics CB 15° Fujikura HL Stiff | Hybrids: Adams Idea Tech V3 16° Stiff, TM Burner Rescue 19° & 22° REAX Stiff | Irons: Titleist 735.CM DG S300 5-PW | Wedges: Vokey Oil Can 254.10, 258.08 | Putter: Rossa Imola 34"

I think Sergio took defeat in a graceless fashion; he has a lot to learn on that front. However, the gloating and gleeful celebration of a young man's crushing defeat on this topic is distasteful.

Could it be your still feeling upset after the thrashing he dealt out to your boys at the K Club last September?

Or maybe you're upset that The Open Championship wasn't the planned "made for television" spectacle where Tiger predictably holds the trophy aloft, while bloated sponsors and TV execs look on giving each other a satisfied nod and a wink?

Taylormade r7 460
Callaway X 3 Wood
Callaway X 5 Wood
Callaway X 7 Wood
Callaway X Hybrid (24*)TaylorMade r7 Irons (5-PW)Mizuno MP-R Series Wedges (52,58 degrees)Ping G2 Anser Putter

Or maybe you're upset that The Open Championship wasn't the planned "made for television" spectacle where Tiger predictably holds the trophy aloft, while bloated sponsors and TV execs look on giving each other a satisfied nod and a wink?

What is that implying? I agree that Sergio was a classless dolt after the Open but I was pulling for him to get his first major as he is an amazing talent. Tiger is my favorite golfer but even I hope for other people to win. Although I must admit it never gets old watching my beloved Patriots win year after year, it would be boring and detrimental to the game of golf if other golfers weren't winning majors here and there. As Americans, I don't believe we hold on to the sting of losing the Ryder Cup like you imply-seems a tad silly to me to turn this into a USA vs. the World argument.

BO THE GOLFER

In my Top Flite stand bag:

Driver-Ping G400+ 10.5 degrees regular flex Hybrids-Ping I25 17 & 20 degrees stiff flex Irons-Ping I3 O-size 4 through lob wedge regular flex Putter-Nike Oz 6

Note: This thread is 6125 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!