IGNORED

How Long Have You Been Golfing?

Note: This thread is 5075 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

20 something years. And I don't believe golfing is a word, any more than tennising or footballing. Golf is a noun. And ing to a noun doesn't make it a verb. Are you currently interneting?

id have to say the first time i hit a golf ball was when i was about 5 and that was with a baseball bat lol... i guess i started competively about 5-6 years ago but then got really serious 4 years ago when i started playing for HS

20 something years. And I don't believe golfing is a word, any more than tennising or footballing. Golf is a noun. And ing to a noun doesn't make it a verb. Are you currently interneting?

It's on the internet, so it MUST be! ;)

golf (glf, gôlf) n. A game played on a large outdoor course with a series of 9 or 18 holes spaced far apart, the object being to propel a small, hard ball with the use of various clubs into each hole with as few strokes as possible. intr.v. golfed, golf·ing, golfs To play this game. [Middle English.] golfer n. The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition copyright ©2000 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Updated in 2003. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company. All rights reserved.

Started playing around age 12....got to around a 17 index and then stopped pretty much for 6 years and got back into it strong about 4 years ago. When I came back went to like a 27 index....now down to the number under my avatar. (currently today a 15.2). So in total 22 years minus my AWOL for 6 years = 16 :D

I started in June 2004 when I was 51, so I'm entering my 4th year now. Seem to hit enough nice shots to try this game for another week - lol

BTW OldDog66,
Not sure what part of Central Illinois you're in but I'm scheduled to be in Effingham the 1st week of September. If that's close to where you're located maybe we can get a round in together while I'm there!

Well, I played for a couple of months in middle school but quit after that. Then I picked it back up just under a year ago and have only started taking it seriously for since the beginning of this year.

Since April '07 after taking a 32 year break for college and raising kids and indulging in a bunch of other sports that I'm too old for now (water skiing for example).

10 months. My Father who doesn't play golf really, invited me out for a round last October. I went out and it was pretty cool. I got hooked pretty much immediately and have been addicted ever since. I try to play at least 4 times a week, though I usually only play 18 holes twice a week, the other times I usually play 9. It's been a hell of a learning experience. Looking back on it, I'd recommend to anybody starting out to get lessons immediately. Even if its just a few, to set you up with the right fundamentals. I only got my grip sorted out last week. I seem to learn things everytime I go out. So far this is just one of those games, where you don't stop learning. And that's the beauty of it. I've played racket sports (tennis and squash) at the collegiate and semi-pro level, but wanted something that I didn't have a history with already. But I do wish I had started earlier.

I started when I was a kid. Got my first set in 7th grade. I stopped playing when I was about 15 because I was spending all of my time playing basketball. I didn't pick the game up again until 1993 when I was 23. I started getting more serious soon there after and became hooked. I improved quickly at first and then about four years ago I hit a brick wall for a while. There were a few factors that came up. My father-in-law who I play with more than anyone else, including 18 every morning on vacation, had to stop playing due to neck and back issues. My work schedule became ridiculous. I don't get too many Saturdays off to go up North for a weekend and I have not used a vacation day since 2004. My back has flared up on and off as well. The biggest issue is however the lack of time for practice. It's tough to get better when you only play 9 holes, twice a week with no practice. I keep hoping the job situation will change soon, but the company that I will ultimately be leaving for is experiencing flat sales right now and just moved into a new office that more than trippled their monthly costs. Once they start to grow again I am in and my income will almost double and my weekends will free up. I will also be working 9-5 which gives time to get to the range.

Note: This thread is 5075 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!