• Announcements

• iacas

Visit FlagstickRule.com   03/13/2017

Visit the site flagstickrule.com to read about and sign a petition for the USGA/R&A regarding the one terrible rule in the proposed "modernized" rules for 2019.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Dmalashe

Early Wrist set drill

6 posts in this topic

So I've been having a lot of issues with my back swing lately. I feel like I take the club way too far back, and get completely off plane, get disconnected, among other big issues. I was told to try the early wrist set drill, which I've been practicing and I'm going to try it out at the range tomorrow.

Generally speaking, is the early wrist hinge the proper way to start your back swing? I was always under the impression that you take the club back to waste high (one piece takeaway) and then hinge the wrists. My problem with doing this is (as I mentioned above) I take the club way too far when I do that, and hit horrible shots.

Any advise on the early wrist hinge drill? And if I do master this early wrist hinge, how do I approach this move on the course? Just start my back swing with that early wrist set, and continue my back swing from there?

Any information would be great. Thanks

Try reading the 4 magic moves of Golf by Joe Dante.  The early wrist set is his basic fundamental of the golf swing.

Ian Poulter is a big proponent of the early wrist hinge drill, i.e. fully cocking your wrist BEFORE you start the backswing.  On TGC recently he demonstrated it to that cute gal whose name I forget (how could I?) and he hit very well with it.  He claimed that he hits better with the early hinge than playing with a conventional hinge, so the cute gal then asked him why he didn't play using it in tournaments.  He replied that it's just too unconventional, or words to that effect.  She then said, what if I told you that you'd win the next major if you used the early hinge?, to which he replied, "you got a crystal ball then ?".

I've tried it an it's helpful, it allows me to focus on other aspects of the takeaway such as staying on plane.  But no, normally the shaft is about parallel to the ground before you start hinging the wrist.

Originally Posted by Arbyman

The early wrist set is his basic fundamental of the golf swing.

Is it? Just playing devil's advocate

'

Having said that I do like these kind of drills

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by Dmalashe

Generally speaking, is the early wrist hinge the proper way to start your back swing? I was always under the impression that you take the club back to waste high (one piece takeaway) and then hinge the wrists. My problem with doing this is (as I mentioned above) I take the club way too far when I do that, and hit horrible shots.

Nope, its not a requirement. Some players hinge early, some hinge late. Players who play under Butch Harmon will hinge later, because Butch likes to create width in the swing. I believe Ernie Els hinges earlier. I also think Ricky Fowler hinges earlier as well.

Also, be wary of hinging versus rolling the wrists over. I would work on first, getting your hands deep in the backswing (staying connected), then work on your hands to get the feeling you want to keep the club from getting behind the hands. Best way is to work on video, or with a mirror. Its easier to develop wrist and hand movement in the swing than staying connected. Finer muscles of the wrist and hands are easier to feel and change in my opinion.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

mvmac,

The top video you posted (Mickelson) is kind of what my swing resembles. I take the club back extremely far where it's over parallel. Obviously, I don't hit the ball like Mickelson. A lot of the time as I mentioned in my original post, I'll take it way to far back than even in that video, and get completely disconnected. That's why I'm considering the early wrist break, but only if it's a correct move. I"m not trying to pick up any bad habits this early in my golf game. I'm fairly new to the game.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Want to join this community?

We'd love to have you!

• 2017 TST Partners

PING Golf
    Leupold Golf
    Snell Golf
    Talamore Golf Resort
    Lowest Score Wins
    • I've joined a senior league and I've truly enjoyed playing with everyone new so far. The pairings change every week, and players don't get to choose - I'm fine with that BTW. But ages range from 60 to 90, I'm 63. I find myself waiting to hit, to the apparent dismay of others in my group who could hit. I hit 250+ off the tee, my playing partners have ranged from 125-200. If I'm 200 yards from a green I have to wait, while my playing partners would not. I liked the guy a lot, but I was waiting to hit and one 85 year old on our second hole together volunteered 'they're a long way off.' I do not know the course yet,  but I said 'so I should hit?' and they all nodded yes. I switched from a 3i to a 5i and still dropped it 10 yards behind the foursome ahead... I understand they don't want to wait, but I don't want to layup every time they're waiting on me. Probably no good answer, but I thought I'd ask.
    • To those who constantly repeat that the jeans shouldn't be worn because they are uncomfortable:  They may not be comfortable for YOU (although I really don't get this unless it's a climate issue), but your comfort and mine or another's are not equal.  I've worn jeans as my leg-wear of choice my entire life, both for work and play.  The same is true of 95% of the people I've worked and played with.   I don't wear them when it's 95° out (I usually wear neat cargo shorts), but I do play a LOT of golf in 50° and 60° weather, and they are perfect for that.  They are tough and take a lot of punishment, but are easy to clean.  They offer many different fits, so comfort and freedom of movement is only compromised if you choose the wrong style.  They have a wide range of prices from Rustler, to Wrangler to Levis to designer styles.   I wear Wranglers mostly, relaxed fit, and I can't imagine anything better for all around wear.  I wear them to work in the yard.  I wear them camping and fishing.  I wear them when we go out in the evening.  I wear them until the summer heat dictates shorts, but even then I will sometimes change back to jeans on cool summer nights here on the high plains or in the mountains. League this evening will probably be jeans, as the high today is forecast to be only 60°.  I'll wait and see if it's cargo shorts or denim, but those are really the only choices I'll have to make.  I choose not to play at venues where my preferences are under a decree of prohibition.  There are plenty of really good golf courses which adhere to a more unfettered point of view.
    • Possibly will be going to Barcelona Spain, middle of January.  My wife has her annual meeting over there this year.  Weather doesn't look like it will be great for golf though.  High's typically in the mid-50's.  But any recommendations for golf if we can get in a couple of rounds?
    • Frankly, I'm starting to think that dress codes have become necessary since people refuse to dress appropriately on their own.  Defendants showing up to court in shorts and shirts with the sleeves cut off is indicative of a problem.  A golf course doesn't need to be quite so formal, though. I have pretty minimal views of what is "respectful" on a golf course.  I personally generally wear long pants (sometimes shorts) and a collared shirt, but that's probably due to advances in textiles.  When I was younger, I wore jeans shorts and tee shirts to the local muni because that's what I had that would be remotely comfortable.   Since my friends and I were pretty much the only ones on the course one particular day when our school was the only one not having classes, we decided to take our shirts off and get a tan while golfing.  We were reprimanded by an employee and told to put them back I.  Looking back, I think this was the correct thing to do.  We were just trying to get tans, not be disrespectful, but I think the correction was warranted. I think a Course has the right to apply and enforce a dress code.  I'd hope that they relax it a bit if a visitor were unaware of it when first playing.  If a course does not want a dress code, good for them.  If you think the clientele at your local course is dressed in appropriately, speak with an employee about how you think people should be dressed, state that you will not patronize a place that allows such horrible cretins to breathe the same air as you, and then do not return.  The free market will decide if your business was important enough for them to force your opinions on others.
    • Thanks for sharing.   This is some great information.
  • TST Blog Entries

• Blog Entries

• Today's Birthdays

1. Just trying
      Just trying
      (33 years old)
    2. Peter_b
      Peter_b
      (45 years old)
    3. SACgolf
      SACgolf
      (51 years old)