IGNORED

My Swing (Jakester23)

Jakester23
Note: This thread is 2582 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Ok so I told my wife I can't take her to dinner cause I need to get a video. If Im not better by the end of the month I hope Erik has a security system :bugout:

I probably did about 100 swings like this slow without a ball each of the last 3 days and about 50 half swings yesterday. So today I got to the range and hit some full swing shots and this is what  how the went.  I was hitting a lot of pulls but with almost no side spin.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Obviously I'm no pro so wait to hear Erik's official take on this, but it looks like your lifting your arms and hands way above plane here. I think you need to look to make this change more with the hands and wrists as opposed to looping everything with your arms.

Zach's got an iron but it was all I had on hand to compare to. The red circle is where the hands were at address, the red line is the shaft "plane". You can see how Zach stays on that plane without rolling the club in to the inside whereas you're coming well above that plane in an effort to not roll inside. I would keep experimenting with feels and review the video after EVERY attempt until it looks more like Zach.

When I'm trying to change something I'll check the video after EVERY swing if I'm not seeing the picture I want and even once I start to get it right (or at least in the right direction) I'll still check very 3 swings max just to make sure I'm not reverting to what's comfortable (and wrong).

Edit* Here's the same comparison but with your wedge which is closer to what Zach is using.

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

Unless you are doing exaggerated movements on purpose, I would say you should practice making sure your club head his pointing straight back at the camera when parallel with the ground on your back swing.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

Unless you are doing exaggerated movements on purpose, I would say you should practice making sure your club head his pointing straight back at the camera when parallel with the ground on your back swing.

I don't know if I'd worry too much about that, I think the concern would be more about where the hands are relative to the plane. Rickie Fowler's club head is outside the hands at A2 and Steve Stricker's hands are inside the club head at A2 so I think that there's a fair bit of latitude on that measurement as long as it "fits" with the rest of your motion.

Here's 3 different "looks" at A2:

Obviously all 3 of these guys play some pretty sweet golf. Granted, Fowler is making changes to that piece but he didn't worry about till he was what, a +6 or so?

EDIT* and now I'll bow out because I really don't know shit and don't want to mess with Jakester's lessons.

Yours in earnest, Jason.

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

Ok so I told my wife I can't take her to dinner cause I need to get a video. If Im not better by the end of the month I hope Erik has a security system

Or an extra bedroom. :-P

- Shane

I took a look at the videos, but I didn't see the one of you doing the drill Erik showed as he asked.. I think it helps the instructor seeing how you perform the drill to make sure you are heading in the right direction..

:adams: / :tmade: / :edel: / :aimpoint: / :ecco: / :bushnell: / :gamegolf: / 

Eyad

I took a look at the videos, but I didn't see the one of you doing the drill Erik showed as he asked.. I think it helps the instructor seeing how you perform the drill to make sure you are heading in the right direction..

Yeah I was taking those videos when i was setting up the camera. Then the stupid battery died. I thought I took a nice 3 min video of me hitting drivers doing the drill with the camera being on.

Obviously I'm no pro so wait to hear Erik's official take on this, but it looks like your lifting your arms and hands way above plane here. I think you need to look to make this change more with the hands and wrists as opposed to looping everything with your arms.

Zach's got an iron but it was all I had on hand to compare to. The red circle is where the hands were at address, the red line is the shaft "plane". You can see how Zach stays on that plane without rolling the club in to the inside whereas you're coming well above that plane in an effort to not roll inside. I would keep experimenting with feels and review the video after EVERY attempt until it looks more like Zach.

When I'm trying to change something I'll check the video after EVERY swing if I'm not seeing the picture I want and even once I start to get it right (or at least in the right direction) I'll still check very 3 swings max just to make sure I'm not reverting to what's comfortable (and wrong).

Edit* Here's the same comparison but with your wedge which is closer to what Zach is using.

So what your saying is at A2 even if the club is over or under plane(I don't know if that that correct term so maybe I should say right or left of my hands)  my hands should still be on plane IE the picture of Zach?  You don't have a line for the plane of the steve or rickie so Im not sure if theirs are on plane but it sure looks like they are.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ernest Jones

So what your saying is at A2 even if the club is over or under plane(I don't know if that that correct term so maybe I should say right or left of my hands)  my hands should still be on plane IE the picture of Zach?  You don't have a line for the plane of the steve or rickie so Im not sure if theirs are on plane but it sure looks like they are.

Well, the first, and possibly most important, thing I am saying is: I don't know Jack Shit!

The second thing I'm saying is, yes, I think you're lifting your arms too much and getting all out of whack, but you should really wait for feedback from Erik or Mike because maybe they want you doing this loopy motion as an exaggeration, but I doubt it, that's not what Erik was doing in the video. I would suggest you review the video and work on it some more in a mirror trying to get the club head from rolling inside but still keeping your hands on "plane".

Yours in earnest, Jason.

Well, the first, and possibly most important, thing I am saying is: I don't know Jack Shit!

The second thing I'm saying is, yes, I think you're lifting your arms too much and getting all out of whack, but you should really wait for feedback from Erik or Mike because maybe they want you doing this loopy motion as an exaggeration, but I doubt it, that's not what Erik was doing in the video. I would suggest you review the video and work on it some more in a mirror trying to get the club head from rolling inside but still keeping your hands on "plane".

If you don't know shit whats the term for my lack of knowledge :censored: .  Im going to do some mirror work since I didn't even notice that I was going that far over plane.

[QUOTE name="Ernest Jones" url="/t/66657/my-swing-jakester23/252#post_1041142"]   Well, the first, and possibly most important, thing I am saying is: I don't know Jack Shit! The second thing I'm saying is, yes, I think you're lifting your arms too much and getting all out of whack, but you should really wait for feedback from Erik or Mike because maybe they want you doing this loopy motion as an exaggeration, but I doubt it, that's not what Erik was doing in the video. I would suggest you review the video and work on it some more in a mirror trying to get the club head from rolling inside but still keeping your hands on "plane". [/QUOTE] If you don't know shit whats the term for my lack of knowledge :censored: .  Im going to do some mirror work since I didn't even notice that I was going that far over plane.

At address have someone put a strip of tape on the mirror that traces your shaft. That'll give you a good reference while doing SLOW motions to get a feel that works.

Yours in earnest, Jason.

At address have someone put a strip of tape on the mirror that traces your shaft. That'll give you a good reference while doing SLOW motions to get a feel that works.

I don't really have a mirror I can do that with. I was actually just planing on using my cell phone with the FO camera on so I can look at the screen while making the swing.

Yep. That'll work. ignore what it feels like until it looks right, then start identifying what it feels like when it looks right. That's how you build your own feels. It doesn't matter what feels you use, all that matters is the feels you use translate to the motion your trying to make. In the video Erik specifically spoke about feeling like your bottom hands stays on top facing down rather than rolling palm up which yanks the club inside. Another feel that MAY help with that is to feel like you keep the club face "looking" at the ball, that should help minimize how much your wrist rotate. It's probably not a great feel long term (for other reasons) but it might help in the short term just as another way to interpret it.

Yours in earnest, Jason.

Yep. That'll work. ignore what it feels like until it looks right, then start identifying what it feels like when it looks right. That's how you build your own feels. It doesn't matter what feels you use, all that matters is the feels you use translate to the motion your trying to make.

So the pic at A2 should be the club head covering up my hands with the club face pointing down towards the ball?

[QUOTE name="Ernest Jones" url="/t/66657/my-swing-jakester23/252#post_1041154"] Yep. That'll work. ignore what it feels like until it looks right, then start identifying what it feels like when it looks right. That's how you build your own feels. It doesn't matter what feels you use, all that matters is the feels you use translate to the motion your trying to make.[/QUOTE] So the pic at A2 should be the club head covering up my hands with the club face pointing down towards the ball?

Ideally yes, but again, club inside or outside at that point can vary based on wrist hinge and other stuff, Erik or Mike will be able to say where it should be for your motion. Club face should roughly match your inclination to the ground. I'm gonna stop now because I'm in over my head and don't want to muddy the waters. Keep working on the video Erik made and make sure your geometry stays closer to what Erik's doing.

Yours in earnest, Jason.

Note: This thread is 2582 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!