IGNORED

Is Golfsmith a good store to go to?

KiawahConnor
Note: This thread is 4010 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. Best Golf Stores

• Dicks
    • Golfsmith
    • Golf Galaxy

I live in Columbia South Carolina and we have a Golfsmith opening tomorrow and I was just wondering what others experiences have been like at these stores. We only have a Dicks, which has no simulator or launch monitor, and we have Edwin watts, but their prices are really high. Can you go to Golfsmith and use their simulators, or do they charge you to use them? I would probably pay if I could rent one by the hour just to play around with my clubs for the feedback but I just don't know how it works there. Also they're having a 10k Hole in One contest tomorrow morning for the grand opening so wish me luck haha

I didn't vote b/c I have never been in a Golf Galaxy and Dicks does much more than golf.  But I'll tell you what I know about Golfsmith - at least the one near me.  They are pretty good about letting folks use the simulators.  There are a bunch of demo clubs with different shafts and such.  Actually kinda fun to hit in.  The staff is nice - but hit or miss with regard to information.

i voted for golfsmith. golf galaxy and dsg are basically identical (pretty sure dsgs owns golf galaxy), except i've been to several dsgs that don't have working launch monitors, and even then only have 1 stall.

golfsmith gives you more of a local shop feel and have a pretty good selection of used clubs. i felt like my fitter was more attentive and knowledgable at golfsmith and gave me several clubs to try in different price ranges, including older models. it kind of showed me that they weren't interested in selling me the latest, greatest, and most expensive.

G25 Driver (10.5* Stiff Flex)

G20 3 Wood (15* Stiff Flex)

i15 3 Hybrid (20* Stiff Flex)

i20 Hybrid (23* Stiff Flex)

JPX 800 (5-AW)

T11 54* (9* Bounce) and 58* (10* Bounce) w/DG Spinner Shafts

Tracy

My ball is anything on sale

We have an Edwin Watts in Knoxville, a Dick's, Academy and a Golfsmith down in Chattanooga and Nashville.

My take on the following:

Academy:  Good place to shop for gear if you know exactly what you want and don't need a lot of assistance.  In the several times I've been to ours I've never seen anyone who really knows anything about golf in their Golf area.  I generally only go here to shop for shoes, balls, gloves, or accessories.

Dick's: Our has a PGA Pro who works there and they have a golf net area and a simulator.  However, the one here doesn't offer the best customer service (IMO).  It takes an act of God to get to hit on their simulator and the customer service people seem more interested in stocking their equipment as opposed to helping the customer.  Another good place to purchase gear but they are a step above Academy because they do have a Pro who can get you fitted and also do gripping.  They generally have decent prices as well.

Edwin Watts;  I love our Edwin Watts. I am surprised to see you say yours are more expensive because ours here is very comparable to Dick's and Academy and sometimes cheaper.  Their customer service personnel are very helpful and I am always greeted warmly.  In fact I took my 56 wedge to be bent back a degree and the guy just did it for me for free.  Every time I use their simulator they have a guy there who will help me find the right fit, shaft, and club that best fits me.  I also like their used/clearance rack as well.

Golfsmith: Golfsmith is my favorite of the four.  Again, the personnel are very helpful and they have a ton of selections for good prices.  My favorite part of Golfsmith is the fact that they have several simulators where as all the other stores generally have one.  The Golfsmith in Nashville had 5-6 bays so I never had to wait and they all had personnel willing to assist me.

Overall, I think you will prefer Golfsmith to Dick's as the prices will be comparable and they are all about Golf.

Jeff

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

We have an Edwin Watts in Knoxville, a Dick's, Academy and a Golfsmith down in Chattanooga and Nashville. My take on the following: Academy:  Good place to shop for gear if you know exactly what you want and don't need a lot of assistance.  In the several times I've been to ours I've never seen anyone who really knows anything about golf in their Golf area.  I generally only go here to shop for shoes, balls, gloves, or accessories. Dick's: Our has a PGA Pro who works there and they have a golf net area and a simulator.  However, the one here doesn't offer the best customer service (IMO).  It takes an act of God to get to hit on their simulator and the customer service people seem more interested in stocking their equipment as opposed to helping the customer.  Another good place to purchase gear but they are a step above Academy because they do have a Pro who can get you fitted and also do gripping.  They generally have decent prices as well. Edwin Watts;  I love our Edwin Watts. I am surprised to see you say yours are more expensive because ours here is very comparable to Dick's and Academy and sometimes cheaper.  Their customer service personnel are very helpful and I am always greeted warmly.  In fact I took my 56 wedge to be bent back a degree and the guy just did it for me for free.  Every time I use their simulator they have a guy there who will help me find the right fit, shaft, and club that best fits me.  I also like their used/clearance rack as well.  Golfsmith: Golfsmith is my favorite of the four.  Again, the personnel are very helpful and they have a ton of selections for good prices.  My favorite part of Golfsmith is the fact that they have several simulators where as all the other stores generally have one.  The Golfsmith in Nashville had 5-6 bays so I never had to wait and they all had personnel willing to assist me.  Overall, I think you will prefer Golfsmith to Dick's as the prices will be comparable and they are all about Golf.

Thank you for the nice review of the stores. Our Edwin watts is good, I mean it's a nice store and the people are friendly but I've found most of their prices to be higher than other places around Columbia. I do like that most of their staff are well versed in golf and actually know enough to help you out with equipment selection. Dicks is a joke. Our pga pro is only there on Tuesdays and on the other days its high school kids who know nothing about golf. I'm excited to go to golfsmith tomorrow and see what it's all about and hopefully hit some demo clubs in their simulator. Thanks again

Originally Posted by KiawahConnor

Thank you for the nice review of the stores. Our Edwin watts is good, I mean it's a nice store and the people are friendly but I've found most of their prices to be higher than other places around Columbia. I do like that most of their staff are well versed in golf and actually know enough to help you out with equipment selection. Dicks is a joke. Our pga pro is only there on Tuesdays and on the other days its high school kids who know nothing about golf. I'm excited to go to golfsmith tomorrow and see what it's all about and hopefully hit some demo clubs in their simulator. Thanks again

They will also probably have some really good opening day deals as well!

Jeff

Good thread. I enjoy Golfsmith for alot of the same reasons others have mentioned. I also preder GS for the used clubs and the functionality of the website. I have never been to Edwin watts before and Dicks Sporting Goods has great clearance golf apparel in my opinion. I believe Dicks and Golf Galaxy are owned by the same company. Wasn't impressed when I went to GG.

:sunmountain: eco lite stand Bag
:tmade: Sim 2 Max driver
 :callaway: Mavrick 20 * hybrid
:tmade: M2 3HL                               :mizuno: JPX 923 5-gw                           

Lazrus 52, 56 wedges

:scotty_cameron:
:true_linkswear:-Lux Hybrid, Lux Sport, Original 1.2

:clicgear:

The local DSG is poorly staffed, I can never can find anyone to assist me, no less the store pro.  Golfsmith isn't bad but they are always pushing to sell you something.  No matter what club you take in the simulator they hard sell you on some other club that is longer, more forgiving and of course more expensive or being pushed for a current promotion.

The local Golf Galaxy is much larger than Golfsmith and their sales guys are pretty laid back, have never gotten the hard sell from them.  While Golf Galaxy is owned by same company as DSG, they are night and day different here.  DSG has a pretty small golf department compared to GG, and a very small selection of left handed clubs to choose from while GG has a wider lefty offering including pre-owned.

Joe Paradiso

Note: This thread is 4010 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!