IGNORED

what if you were not allowed to use any tobacco products on a course? would you still play?

kurts81
Note: This thread is 3964 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. would you play as much golf as you play now if you were not allowed tobacoo products?

• yes
    • no, or maybe

• Administrator
Originally Posted by Tar Baby

I love how judgemental many can be about smoking. It's easy.. If you don't like it that your club allows it on the course or in the clubhouse find another club. I take offense to many people at my club wearing black golf shoes with shorts or white plaid shorts in general... It is physically harmful to me and my mental state.. But I like the club so Ideal with it. If a guy smokes in my foursome and the course is fine with it... What am I going to do. Apparently the appropriate response is to go denigrate those people on a message board.

No it isn't (response to bold).

And you don't have to "find another club." There are plenty of alternatives, including: a) ask the person not to smoke, or to stay away from you, or b) ask the club to change its policy. You may not be successful in either, but they're alternatives.

• Upvote 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Ban all tees until those filthy tee users can clean up their act and properly dispose of their non-biodegradable coated wooden or plastic spikes. They are all over the tee box.

I love how judgemental many can be about smoking. It's easy.. If you don't like it that your club allows it on the course or in the clubhouse find another club. I take offense to many people at my club wearing black golf shoes with shorts or white plaid shorts in general... It is physically harmful to me and my mental state.. But I like the club so Ideal with it. If a guy smokes in my foursome and the course is fine with it... What am I going to do. Apparently the appropriate response is to go denigrate those people on a message board.

Do smokers who toss butts on the ground equate that practice to leaving a broken tee on the tee box? I'd really like to know what, if any, thoughts are going on as a butt gets tossed.

Russ - Student of the Moe Norman swing as taught by the pros at - http://moenormangolf.com

Titleist 910 D3 8.5* w/ Project X shaft/ Titleist 910F 15* w/ Project X shaft

Cobra Baffler 20* & 23* hybrids with Accra hybrid shafts

Mizuno MP-53 irons 5Iron-PW AeroTech i95 shafts stiff and soft stepped once/Mizuno MP T-11 50.6/56.10/MP T10 60*

Seemore PCB putter with SuperStroke 3.0

Srixon 2012 Z-Star yellow balls/ Iomic Sticky 2.3, X-Evolution grips/Titleist Lightweight Cart Bag---

extra/alternate clubs: Mizunos JPX-800 Pro 5-GW with Project X 5.0 soft-stepped shafts

I take offense to many people at my club wearing black golf shoes with shorts or white plaid shorts in general... It is physically harmful to me and my mental state.. But I like the club so Ideal with it.

No it doesn't.  You are probably smart enough to realize those aren't nearly the same things.

And yes, broken tees should be put in their proper place.

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

The difference is the tee is clean and someone won't mind picking it up, who wants to pick up a tar filled possibly saliva covered butt off the ground?  Not me... I always throw away my broken tees, but I respect the course and everyone playing it enough to do so. It isn't that hard, especially when they make it so damn easy by putting garbage cans at every tee... Too many people are lazy and dont give a f*&k; about anyone else, it is very sad, and not a very good sign for the future of humanity.

Bag:

DriverG25 or  XCG5 11.5* 3++ fairway wood

3w:  XCG6 15*

*5w: XCG6 18* (out if I bag my 3-iron)

Irons: Rocketbladez tour  3-pw(47*) (I sometimes bag the 3 iron but usually the 5w) 

Wedges:   SM-4  52*, 56*, 60* 

Putter:  Versa #7 (white on black)

Originally Posted by PirateJim

I've not smoked cigarettes in quite a few years, never chewed, and though I rather like smoking a cigar the vile aftertaste sticks with me for several days it seems and so I just say no to stogies.  However, I would really hate to see some sort of rule imposed upon people who choose to have a smoke out on the course.  There are, IMO, already far too many rules being thrust on us 'for our own good' by people that think they are smarter than we must be.  If they ban smoking, they'll be back next year after your beer folks!

That was already tried once - January 16, 1919, 18th Amendment to the Constitution - didn't work very well.  The 21st Amendment repealed it and turned control over to the states.  That's where it stands today, and it's also where tobacco regulation rests.  Some states (such as Kansas and Kentucky which are essentially dry or mostly dry states - others along the Bible belt are more or less dry or very restricted) do have very strict alcohol regulations.  Normal people avoid those states.

Interestingly it's those same states with strong liquor regulation which are the least restrictive for tobacco use.  Can't have a beer with that burger, but the table next to you can fall under the EPA edict for atmospheric emissions.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Originally Posted by 2ironfrenzy

The difference is the tee is clean and someone won't mind picking it up, who wants to pick up a tar filled possibly saliva covered butt off the ground?

Huh?  You are saying that so long as the thing that you are littering is clean, that makes it OK because somebody else "won't mind" picking up your trash?  And then you follow it with ...

Too many people are lazy and dont give a f*&k; about anyone else, it is very sad, and not a very good sign for the future of humanity.

This is correct, however, the problem with this thread is that too many people are saying all smokers fit this bill because there are a few butts lying on their course.  Those are likely all from the same few inconsiderate a-holes, and further, this statement applies to just as many non-smokers as smokers.  If you HAD to have one problem at your course, would you rather it be butts, or unrepaired ball marks?  Those are the real inconsiderate a-holes.  Littering butts (and broken tees) is rude, no question, but it's not hurting anybody except the groundskeeper.  The ball marks are affecting me.

(For the record - as a non-smoker - I don't really care that much if a smoker puts his butt out on the ground - the green ground - because I imagine if he throws it in the trash there is a decent chance that he could set a fire and melt down that whole garbage can.  But that is possibly irrational ... I am, after all, the guy who previously said I get scared when the car in front of me chucks a butt out the window because I'm afraid its going to bounce up into my engine and blow my car up ;))

Originally Posted by chilepepper

The intolerance of society is staggering

Yes.  Yes, it is.

We need the training I got in the Army.  In basic training we quickly learned to "field strip" our butts.  That is we tore them open and sprinkled the tobacco on the ground, then put the filter in our pockets until we found a trash can.  For non filters just roll the bit of paper into a ball and toss it - it biodegrades in the next rain.   We held regular "police calls" in the company area (that's picking up litter to non military), and virtually never saw a butt, and this was back in 1965 when everyone smoked.

No worries about burning trash cans and the course is spotless.

Rick

Originally Posted by Golfingdad

Huh?  You are saying that so long as the thing that you are littering is clean, that makes it OK because somebody else "won't mind" picking up your trash?  And then you follow it with ...

This is correct, however, the problem with this thread is that too many people are saying all smokers fit this bill because there are a few butts lying on their course.  Those are likely all from the same few inconsiderate a-holes, and further, this statement applies to just as many non-smokers as smokers.  If you HAD to have one problem at your course, would you rather it be butts, or unrepaired ball marks?  Those are the real inconsiderate a-holes.  Littering butts (and broken tees) is rude, no question, but it's not hurting anybody except the groundskeeper.  The ball marks are affecting me.

(For the record - as a non-smoker - I don't really care that much if a smoker puts his butt out on the ground - the green ground - because I imagine if he throws it in the trash there is a decent chance that he could set a fire and melt down that whole garbage can.  But that is possibly irrational ... I am, after all, the guy who previously said I get scared when the car in front of me chucks a butt out the window because I'm afraid its going to bounce up into my engine and blow my car up ;))

Yes.  Yes, it is.

All i was sayign is a piece of wood isnt a big deal, a chemical laden saliva filled butt is just gross. I never said leaving tees on the box was right, just said it isn't as disgusting.  I am one of those people who will pick up trash wherever I see it, because I feel we all should try to leave this place in better shape than we found it... (A rarity anymore)

Bag:

DriverG25 or  XCG5 11.5* 3++ fairway wood

3w:  XCG6 15*

*5w: XCG6 18* (out if I bag my 3-iron)

Irons: Rocketbladez tour  3-pw(47*) (I sometimes bag the 3 iron but usually the 5w) 

Wedges:   SM-4  52*, 56*, 60* 

Putter:  Versa #7 (white on black)

Originally Posted by Fourputt

We need the training I got in the Army.  In basic training we quickly learned to "field strip" our butts.  That is we tore them open and sprinkled the tobacco on the ground, then put the filter in our pockets until we found a trash can.  For non filters just roll the bit of paper into a ball and toss it - it biodegrades in the next rain.   We held regular "police calls" in the company area (that's picking up litter to non military), and virtually never saw a butt, and this was back in 1965 when everyone smoked.

No worries about burning trash cans and the course is spotless.

Good to know.  (Of course, you could probably guess from my other anecdote that my worry that the garbage cans would catch on fire wasn't terribly rational.)

All i was sayign is a piece of wood isnt a big deal, a chemical laden saliva filled butt is just gross. I never said leaving tees on the box was right, just said it isn't as disgusting.  I am one of those people who will pick up trash wherever I see it, because I feel we all should try to leave this place in better shape than we found it... (A rarity anymore)

And all I am saying is that litter is litter.

Kudos to you for picking up other peoples trash, though.  I do pick up other peoples broken tees ... on par 3's when I need to use it. :)

I take offense to many people at my club wearing black golf shoes with shorts

well crap, I really can't afford a 2nd pair of Nike's just now

Bill - 

• Administrator

Plus sometimes a broken tee is useful - I can use them when I tee off with a hybrid or a 3-wood. I never do that with a cigarette butt. :)

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

OK, we seem to agree on a few things. Butts on the ground are bad. Tees left around are bad (not as bad IMO). Trash on the course is bad (but I believe is often an accident and cannot imaging someone just tossing their trash).

I still would like to hear from someone who tosses butts what they are thinking. There is something about butts that does not seem to be trash for those who step them out on sidewalks, toss them from car windows... Am I being intolerant when I find that to be littering? Do they think the mower will "clean it up" on the next pass? Does it? I do not find ash to be the same as a butt and seeing someone flick an ash is OK with me as long as it is not on the green. Do you butt tossers feel it is the same as an ash?

Russ - Student of the Moe Norman swing as taught by the pros at - http://moenormangolf.com

Titleist 910 D3 8.5* w/ Project X shaft/ Titleist 910F 15* w/ Project X shaft

Cobra Baffler 20* & 23* hybrids with Accra hybrid shafts

Mizuno MP-53 irons 5Iron-PW AeroTech i95 shafts stiff and soft stepped once/Mizuno MP T-11 50.6/56.10/MP T10 60*

Seemore PCB putter with SuperStroke 3.0

Srixon 2012 Z-Star yellow balls/ Iomic Sticky 2.3, X-Evolution grips/Titleist Lightweight Cart Bag---

extra/alternate clubs: Mizunos JPX-800 Pro 5-GW with Project X 5.0 soft-stepped shafts

I played with a guy a few weekends ago who was smoking on the course and would toss his butts in random places.

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

Originally Posted by rustyredcab

OK, we seem to agree on a few things. Butts on the ground are bad. Tees left around are bad (not as bad IMO). Trash on the course is bad (but I believe is often an accident and cannot imaging someone just tossing their trash).

I still would like to hear from someone who tosses butts what they are thinking. There is something about butts that does not seem to be trash for those who step them out on sidewalks, toss them from car windows... Am I being intolerant when I find that to be littering? Do they think the mower will "clean it up" on the next pass? Does it? I do not find ash to be the same as a butt and seeing someone flick an ash is OK with me as long as it is not on the green. Do you butt tossers feel it is the same as an ash?

I'm going to take a stab at this one.  I feel like I can do this safely without getting too grilled because I am NOT, in fact, a smoker, or litterer of any kind (except perhaps the occasional broken tee)

My guess is that they feel like it's just a tiny piece of paper, which comes from a tree, and is therefore, biodegradable?  I don't have any idea, just guessing here.

Originally Posted by Golfingdad

I'm going to take a stab at this one.  I feel like I can do this safely without getting too grilled because I am NOT, in fact, a smoker, or litterer of any kind (except perhaps the occasional broken tee)

My guess is that they feel like it's just a tiny piece of paper, which comes from a tree, and is therefore, biodegradable?  I don't have any idea, just guessing here.

"Oh really? Well what is this I hear about you breaking a rake and throwing it into the woods?"

"What?!!?! I didn't break it! I was just testing its durability. And then I placed it in the woods, because it's made of wood.... and I just thought he should be with his family..."
  • Upvote 1

The filter tips are not biodegradable, at least not in any reasonable amount of time.

Rick

Note: This thread is 3964 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!