IGNORED

Like some thoughts on how far is too far.

rcarat
Note: This thread is 3978 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by Bump-n-MI

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fourputt

Creating "shots" is more fun than just swinging the same club, the same way, every time it comes out of the bag.  A lot of players would benefit from such a practice.

Couldn’t disagree more. A lot of players would be better served practicing and repeating shots they will encounter during everyday course play.  The “one off” shots are a waste to practice for the vast majority of amateurs.  You know why I don’t practice one-foot-in-one-foot-out bunker shots……because I may only see that shot twice per year.  Same holds true for knockdown 7-iron shots from 90 yards.  Instead I utilize that practice time to chip from rough (a shot I typically see at least once per round).

As for the “fun” factor I agree.

To each his own.  As a plus handicap you don't live in the places I do on the course.  And I despise range work so that ain't gonna happen.  I'll continue to play my game and since that's the game that most amateurs play, I'll still recommend leaning those shots.  Trevino learned the game using nothing but an old 5 iron, and it seemed to serve him fairly well.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator

To each his own.  As a plus handicap you don't live in the places I do on the course.  And I despise range work so that ain't gonna happen.  I'll continue to play my game and since that's the game that most amateurs play, I'll still recommend leaning those shots.  Trevino learned the game using nothing but an old 5 iron, and it seemed to serve him fairly well.

Rick, you can't just say "well that's how I like it" every time someone disagrees with your advice. You didn't say "well, I'm content to be a 9+ handicapper forever, and I find it fun, and I never go to the range." Instead you said "a lot of players would benefit from such a practice."

They wouldn't. I agree more with the idea that they should learn to hit one type of shot well, rather than to hit "all the shots" poorly. Goof off for five minutes hitting big curves? Fine. It's fun, and not a bad thing. But dedicating any real chunk of practice time to it? Waste of time. Counterproductive.

Jack Nicklaus and Tiger Woods learned the game using full sets of clubs, and it seemed to serve them fairly well.*

You like playing golf. Nothing wrong with that. Others like to get better at golf, and your advice is not the best for that person IMO (and in the opinion of the other poster).

* See how easy that is? :P

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

To each his own.  As a plus handicap you don't live in the places I do on the course.  And I despise range work so that ain't gonna happen.  I'll continue to play my game and since that's the game that most amateurs play, I'll still recommend leaning those shots.  Trevino learned the game using nothing but an old 5 iron, and it seemed to serve him fairly well.

Yea but were not trevino are we? Just saying

As for me, there's always going to be a shot that needs immediate imagination to pull off. I like these shots because i like to see if they work out. I know a lot of people get all conservative and punch out, ect. I will to, but i like to keep things interesting.

That being said, its very hard to mimic these shots in practice. Usually when i practice i will do 95% dedication to real practice. 5% to BS type of shots. Like the other day, i was on my last dozen golf balls. I had a good practice, really hit some quality full shots after practicing keys 1,2 & 3. so i decided to mess around a bit. I was just practicing with a 6 iron, so i saw the 100 yard sign post, and i was like, lets see if i can hit it.

so i just put the ball back in my stance and launch some low push draws, trying to hit the sign. Then i tried to hit some low pull cuts at the sign post. Then on a few shots i just decided to see if i can hit the same shot from different ball positions, so i put the ball infront of my lead foot and hit a monster high push draw, really getting the hands and weight forward at impact.

Things like that, they might not be useful, but hey, its fun. Its makes practice enjoyable. To me that is more important. I would rather see someone enjoy practice than not enjoy it because concentration goes up tremendously if there is enjoyment.

As for short game practice, i tend to practice the staple of shots. Chip, Pitch, low chip, Flop shot. Then i'll do stupid shit, like trying to hook a chip shot into a bank and making it spin hard left to run down a slope. Just stupid stuff like that, experiment.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Originally Posted by saevel25

Yea but were not trevino are we? Just saying

As for me, there's always going to be a shot that needs immediate imagination to pull off. I like these shots because i like to see if they work out. I know a lot of people get all conservative and punch out, ect. I will to, but i like to keep things interesting.

That being said, its very hard to mimic these shots in practice. Usually when i practice i will do 95% dedication to real practice. 5% to BS type of shots. Like the other day, i was on my last dozen golf balls. I had a good practice, really hit some quality full shots after practicing keys 1,2 & 3. so i decided to mess around a bit. I was just practicing with a 6 iron, so i saw the 100 yard sign post, and i was like, lets see if i can hit it.

so i just put the ball back in my stance and launch some low push draws, trying to hit the sign. Then i tried to hit some low pull cuts at the sign post. Then on a few shots i just decided to see if i can hit the same shot from different ball positions, so i put the ball infront of my lead foot and hit a monster high push draw, really getting the hands and weight forward at impact.

Things like that, they might not be useful, but hey, its fun. Its makes practice enjoyable. To me that is more important. I would rather see someone enjoy practice than not enjoy it because concentration goes up tremendously if there is enjoyment.

As for short game practice, i tend to practice the staple of shots. Chip, Pitch, low chip, Flop shot. Then i'll do stupid shit, like trying to hook a chip shot into a bank and making it spin hard left to run down a slope. Just stupid stuff like that, experiment.

Same here and not at every session.  I do find it useful to know ahead of time what to expect on odd shots like this.  If you have never done it before it could really get you into more trouble.  But if you know what to expect, it can be a great save.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Originally Posted by iacas

Quote:

Rick, you can't just say "well that's how I like it" every time someone disagrees with your advice. You didn't say "well, I'm content to be a 9+ handicapper forever, and I find it fun, and I never go to the range." Instead you said "a lot of players would benefit from such a practice."

They wouldn't. I agree more with the idea that they should learn to hit one type of shot well, rather than to hit "all the shots" poorly. Goof off for five minutes hitting big curves? Fine. It's fun, and not a bad thing. But dedicating any real chunk of practice time to it? Waste of time. Counterproductive.

Jack Nicklaus and Tiger Woods learned the game using full sets of clubs, and it seemed to serve them fairly well.*

You like playing golf. Nothing wrong with that. Others like to get better at golf, and your advice is not the best for that person IMO (and in the opinion of the other poster).

* See how easy that is? :P

Okay.  I'll have fun my way.  Maybe it comes in part from playing most of my life's golf on the same course, although that course has changed dramatically over the 30 years I've played it.  Anyway, having a lot of funky shots in the bag makes the game fun for me, so I still recommend it for anyone who whats to experiment.  I guess I'm in the minority, at least for internet forum golfers, as I will always take playing over practicing.  Spent too much of my life working 10 and 12 hour days, often 6 days, and sometimes 7 days a week, so my free play time was spent playing.  I guess I'm fortunate to have made it as low as a 9 handicap at one point with that philosophy.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Note: This thread is 3978 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!