IGNORED

recycled golf balls

Note: This thread is 3921 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hello,

I buy the best bang for the buck ball: Precept Laddie Xtreme for very very cheap (like 4$ a dozen) and they work GREAT. As a newbie you are going to lose a TON of balls. Losing a ton of Pro V1's is not good for you

In my TerraFirma X Bag
360 Ti 10.5° Driver
FT-i Squareway 15.0° 3w
04 Big Bertha 19.0° 5w
04 Big Bertha 4-9, PW, GW +1/2" Irons Vokey Spin-Milled 56°10° SW C02 Milled 35" Putter Contour Shoes and SofJoy GlovesA mix of NXT and Laddie Xtreme balls

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey, I would like to know what is wrong with using recycled balls from walmart or Target. I am a high handicapper right now but play several times a week trying to improve. I am buying these recycled balls because they are cheap and I tend to lose balls but am I getting occasional bad ball flights from them and is it a bad idea to use so many different types of balls which give different feels and distances? Thanks

I dont think the ball makes any difference to me. And lately I just play what I find out in the woods on the course. Usually some Titleist or Nike.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Recycled isn't bad - I use used golf balls all the time (lostgolfballs, ebay, etc). The difference is that I always use the same type - and I suggest you do too. Find a ball you like - this may involve trying different ones - and stick with that kind for a while. It doesn't have to be an expensive one: I stuck with the Top Flite Strata for a while, which I sometimes see on eBay for as little as 29 cents a ball, good condition, shipped.

The big problem with using different balls is scoring consistency - if you're chipping, a Titleist ProV is going to react differently from a Top Flite Gamer around the green. Using one sometimes and the other in other situations just means you can't predict what will happen when you chip a certain way - and playing to a prediction is part of scoring.

As for what's wrong with the balls? Well, they aren't brand new. They might have spent some time underwater. They may have been hit a few times. Except for the underwater part, anytime I play a literally-new ball for a hole, I get to the next tee and this applies to it. Unless you need the performance of a brand-new ball, and rarely lose them, and can make one last a good number of holes, there's no reason not to buy used. Just do so in a way that helps your score too

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Even playing recycled balls from local big box retailers you can play the same ball. The ones I play all come together in the same box, but I have to go through all the boxes on the shelf to find the boxes with this type of ball. Sometimes there will be a few boxes of my balls and sometimes none at all. I just check the shelf whenever I go in to shop and if they have what I like, and I need some, I'll pick up a box.

Nike Vapor Speed driver 12* stock regular shaft
Nike Machspeed 4W 17*, 7W 21* stock stiff shafts
Ping i10 irons 4-9, PW, UW, SW, LW AWT stiff flex
Titleist SC Kombi 35"; Srixon Z Star XV tour yellow

Clicgear 3.0; Sun Mountain Four 5

So I had this same dillema a few weeks ago, I didnt know if it was a good idea to use old golf balls. I hit a ball in the water the other day, and while looking for it I found a Nike one platinum ball in the water. I scooped it out and decided to use it. I hit my drive and it went just fine, my approach from 150 hit the green and took a bounce and stopped dead 10 feet from the pin, and it putted just fine....

I played that ball for the remainder of the round and there was no way in the world I could tell it had been sitting in water.

So I was sold on using used golf balls from there on out. I am lucky enough to live like 2 minutes away from a place that sells used golf balls, so I went and picked up a dozen e5+ balls for under 10 bucks! And Im quite sure I wont notice much of a difference in those versus new ones.

Im just not good enough (yet ) to see a difference. Stick to the used balls for now man.

Jim

In my Ogio Blade Stand Bag:

TaylorMade Burner 10.5*

Adams Insight BUL 15*
Taylormade RBZ 3H

TaylorMade RBZ 4-AW

Vokey SM4 54-11

Cleveland CG14 58 2 dot wedge

Ping Karsten Series Craz-E putter

Top Flite Gamer

I am fortunate in that my youngest brother-in-law is a caddy at a local country club and finds and collects all sorts of lost balls. I'll be buying some non-waterlogged Pro V1s soon, at a substantial discount.

In the blue Colts bag:

Driver - FT-5 10°
Hybrids - 4DX 15.5°, 20°
Irons/Wedges - CI-7 4-GW, SW | "Free" Warrior 60° LWPutter - TiffanyBalls - various

I get used balls from a Play It Again Sports down the road, $.65ea. You won't find any ProV1's in the bin, but there are many decent balls in there. They "restock" often, so I'll go pick up a dozen at a time. Last run I got a Srixon Z-URC, bunch of NXT and NXT Tour, Nike Juice, Callaway HX Hot, Nike Power Distance, Topflite D2 Straight and Feel...many of the $25-35/dozen type balls. I'm a 23handicapper, so the ball would rarely be the problem in my game. It's fun to try out a "new" type ball every round as well and find which ones I prefer. If I do play a tournament, I'd go with a new sleeve though, more for the mental aspect then anything.

Driver: i15 8* UST Axivcore Red 69S
3w: CB1 15* Grafalloy Prolaunch Platinum 75s
5w: G10 18.5* UST V2 HL
3h: HiFli CLK 20* UST V2 Hybrid
4h: 3DX 23* UST V2 Hybrid5i-pw: MX-23 TT Dynalite Gold S300GW/SW: RAC 52*and 56*Putter: SabertoothBag: KingPin

Hey guys, quick question regarding this issue. I'm a fairly new player, and I lose A LOT of balls.. about 9 each hole, brand new. So I stumbled across lostgolfballs.com, and ordered a good 100 balls from them, seeing as how the prices are a lot cheaper (AAAA grade).. Now, since they do get their balls from water hazards, am I better off, just paying 2X the price for a brand new one, or is it not going to make a huge difference?

thank you.

Hey guys, quick question regarding this issue. I'm a fairly new player, and I lose A LOT of balls.. about 9 each hole, brand new. So I stumbled across lostgolfballs.com, and ordered a good 100 balls from them, seeing as how the prices are a lot cheaper (AAAA grade).. Now, since they do get their balls from water hazards, am I better off, just paying 2X the price for a brand new one, or is it not going to make a huge difference?

I buy my balls from lostgolfballs.com too. Actually I JUST placed my 2nd order from them for another dozen ProV1 the other day. I'm not a professional golfer by any means, but I don't notice anything wrong with the balls I get from them ... whether they've been in the water or not. I buy the highest quality though (AAAAA).

To be honest, if I lose 5-10 yards off the driver because they are used, I don't care. Although I don't notice any change in my distances with any of my clubs when using the used balls really. The softness around the greens with the ProV1 is amazing ... so I'm fine with paying 1/2 price for the used balls. I definitely don't lose balls as much any more ... so they last me longer. Since you lose them alot I would probably recommend buying balls for as cheap as you can. Find a ball that you like, and stick with it (as other people have mentioned). You'll be more consistent if you use the same ball because you'll get used to how it plays.

Callaway X-18 Irons | TaylorMade R5 Driver, 200 Steel 3 Wood | Cleveland Golf CG-14 Gap & Sand Wedge | Titleist Vokey Lob Wedge | Odyssey White Hot Putter | Titleist ProV1 Ball | Bushnell Pro 1600 Tournament Edition Laser Rangefinder

• 4 years later...
Note: This thread is 3921 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!