• Announcements

• iacas

Visit FlagstickRule.com   03/13/2017

Visit the site flagstickrule.com to read about and sign a petition for the USGA/R&A regarding the one terrible rule in the proposed "modernized" rules for 2019.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
davedove

Hi from Maryland

12 posts in this topic

Hi everyone!  I've been playing a few years, but not enough to really improve much.  I probably average a double bogey game or maybe a little worse.  I'm in my 50's now, so I don't expect to ever become a scratch player, but I do have a goal of becoming a bogey player someday.  Of course, I need to break 100 first!

I really love to get out on the different courses here in the Frederick, Maryland area, but not nearly as much as I would like.  (Don't you just hate how nasty things like jobs get in the way??)

Welcome! I'm sort of in the same boat. Occasionally I'll have a bogey average round, but it's rare.

And yes...jerbs always getting in the way.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I'm from Maryland too. Parents live in the Frederick Area. Where do you play.

For a good value I like Rattlewood. For a great course I like Whiskey Creek. In a (penny) pinch, Hope Valley.

Originally Posted by terp2007

I'm from Maryland too. Parents live in the Frederick Area. Where do you play.

For a good value I like Rattlewood. For a great course I like Whiskey Creek. In a (penny) pinch, Hope Valley.

I like to play different courses.  If I just want to get out and hit some balls, I typically go to Frederick Golf Club.  You can't beat the price - $13 to walk all day Fri-Mon, $8 to walk all day Tue-Thu and twilight other days.  It's a short course and pretty wide open, but it's great for practicing.

For regular courses, I probably play Glade Valley and Maple Run the most.  I got my first par 4 birdie at Glade Valley.

I'm still saving up to play courses like Whiskey Creek.

Welcome, I am from Maryland as well... Rattlewood is on Golfnow.com and they have some good deals some times.

Originally Posted by davedove

For regular courses, I probably play Glade Valley and Maple Run the most.  I got my first par 4 birdie at Glade Valley.

I see these on Golfnow all the time but have never played them.  Do you like those courses?

I'm down in Rockville.

Originally Posted by dsc123

I see these on Golfnow all the time but have never played them.  Do you like those courses?

I'm down in Rockville.

Glade Valley is a nice course, but fairly easy for hackers like me, although I also scored two of my few birdies there (we won't talk about some of the other holes ).

Maple Run is where my organization has it's regular golf scramble.  It doesn't have the best facilities, but the course itself is fine.  It's not a ultra-manicured course and can sometimes get a bit soggy if there's been a lot of rain.  The front nine is pretty open, but the back nine can get tight at times from the trees.

So if I were to try out one of those, you'd recommend Glade Valley over Maple Run?

Have you ever played Little Bennett?  That's a nice course.

So if I were to try out one of those, you'd recommend Glade Valley over Maple Run?

Glade Valley is probably a little better course, but you can usually get into Maple Run a little cheaper.  It also seems to be easier to get tee times at Maple Run.  Either one is fine though.

Have you ever played Little Bennett?  That's a nice course.

No, I haven't done that one yet.  I'll have to get there.

Welcome! from a former Maryland resident (grew up in Silver Spring, and moved back for a few years to Germantown).

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Want to join this community?

We'd love to have you!

• 2017 TST Partners

PING Golf
    Leupold Golf
    Snell Golf
    Talamore Golf Resort
    Lowest Score Wins
    • There are several statements that I disagree with which I feel are important to discuss: All golf balls do not go about the same distance.  A low compression, 2-piece Surlyn covered model will launch higher and with less spin than a 5-piece, high compression urethane covered model which will result in a noticeable difference in distance off the tee.  Dean even stated in another answer "The soft golf ball market has taken off due to the lower spinning balls means players can be longer in distance." Regarding balls for different swing speeds and compression:  3) Bridgestone (and I think Callaway) has come out with tour caliber balls for players who swing under 105mph. Is it possible to design a tour caliber ball for a specific segment of swing speed or is this just mostly a marketing thing?  DEAN: The whole swing speed story to me is one of the most over-rated stories in golf. Companies force or teach golfers to play low compression balls so their low swing speed can compress the ball. The problem with this is that low compression balls have the lowest spin in all shots, so they are pushing players to play a ball with no performance at all… and when you need that spin around the green, it's not there…            I almost don't know where to start on this one.  The concept of designing golf balls based on swing speeds doesn't teach or force players to use a low compression ball...it's about using a ball that has the appropriate compression for your swing speed.  Some players will have better results with a higher compression ball, others will have better results with a lower compression.  Keep in mind, there is a difference between "lower compression" and "low compression".  Most of the urethane tour balls have a compression rating somewhere between the mid 70s to mid 90s.  Tour models like the Chrome Soft, B330-RX and B330-RXS are in the mid 60s, which is lower.  Balls like the Supersoft and e6 are in the upper 30s and 40s, which is considered low.  Dean's statement that "low compression balls have the lowest spin on all shots" is somewhere between a little misleading and flat-out wrong.  It's true that a lower compression ball will spin less (and launch higher) than a firmer ball on full shots.  But on short game shots around the green, the ball is not compressed.  On pitch shots, chip shots, and greenside bunker shots for example,    the only part of the ball that is being activated is the cover. Notice on this chart that the lowest compression ball is very close to the highest spinning, and the lowest spinning ball has almost the same compression rating!  The point is, compression has little to no affect on short game shots...the cover is the main factor.  All 4 of these models have a urethane cover, but the two that provide the most spin have softer covers.  To put this in context, the chart below was a test Golf Digest did in 2015 which shows the performance on a partial wedge shot (I think it was 40 yds) with most of the balls on the market at the time The different colors represented the price point.  These results don't match the first chart I posted exactly which can happen when player testing (this one shows the B330 has higher spin than the RXS). Is there a difference between the lower spinning "red dots" and the highest spinning?  Sure.  There should be though.  Golf balls are designed to have different types of performance for different types of players.  The B330-RX has the lowest spin among the red dot models, but that doesn't mean it's lacking in performance...it spins exactly how the ball designers intended it to, because not everyone wants/needs maximum spin.  Notice the e7...this is a high compression ball very comparable to the B330, but has very different spin characteristics. So again, higher compression doesn't mean higher spin around the green and lower compression doesn't necessarily mean low spin.  About the only thing that I could agree with Dean's comment on would be that all the ultra-low compression balls are Surlyn covered models designed for distance, so it's true that these balls have low spin on all shots and will not offer the same level of performance around the greens, but again, that has more to do with the cover than the compression.  The fact is, there are lower compression balls that perform at the highest level. The B330-RXS is the same type of ball as the Pro V1 in many respects, and performs just as well as, or even better for many players, so I'm surprised by his comments that fitting for swing speed is over-rated and lower compression balls have no performance.  That's like saying getting fit for the correct shaft flex is over-rated, and softer flex shafts don't perform as well as stiffer shafts!  Does anyone consider the Dynamic Gold S-300 to be a lower performing shaft than the Dynamic Gold X-100?  No, of course not. They are designed to do the same thing, but because some players don't swing as fast as others the softer flex will give them better results, just like the B330-RXS is the equal to the B330-S, but will fit players who don't swing as hard better. I'm also not on-board with the opinion that fitting with a driver is a "mistake" and when testing to choose a ball based on 100 yds and in.  I'm not saying that short game performance isn't important, but wow...to claim that testing with a driver is a mistake is ridiculous.  I'll make a simple point on this...anyone can hit good wedge shots with a Pro V1 or B330 or Z-Star.  Fast swingers, slower swingers, high handicappers, low handicappers...it doesn't matter, they can all get good results on wedge shots.  Does that mean that's the ball they should play, and it will work equally as well for the other aspects too?  No.  A wedge can mask any issues in performance because of the loft and backspin, but the driver exaggerates issues.  The same players who hit respectable wedge shots with various tour balls might struggle to keep shots in play or lose potential distance. And before anyone tries to use the old "the driver is used 14 times a round, but half of the shots are inside of 100 yds" argument...save it.  If you play a high spin ball and you're struggling to hit the fairway with your tee shots, that ball will not help you save shots around the green.  Too much spin for players who can't control it is worse than a lower spinning model. Sorry Dean...not trying to blast you or anything, just putting in my two cents.  Ok, maybe more like four cents!
    • So......Is this your point @Jack Watson?
    • https://thesandtrap.com/b/clubs/titleist_716_ap1_review My review for the site is above. I've been using them since writing this review. Excellent clubs. One watch out is with short game shots with the PW and GW. They will go a bit farther than a corresponding chip or pitch with the equivalent wedge. The ball feels like it jumps off the face with good contact. So be careful with that.
    • Thanks for all the comments. I realize change is always hard but single length, lie and weight make so much sense to me. I am going to build a set of Value Golf clubs and see what happens. As improve I may go back to normal but who knows.  I think it will be better for learning the overall game. Which in my opinion and observance needs a lot of help. In my other hobbies that required learned skills it was easy to find groups to help you with the skills and drills to improve them. Businesses that the hobby supported held seminars and workshops covering all aspects. Trying to find help, other than paid lessons, is impossible, at least in my area. 
  • TST Blog Entries

• Blog Entries

• Today's Birthdays

1. Golfgirl10543
      Golfgirl10543
      (43 years old)
    2. jkettman
      jkettman
      (28 years old)
    3. old man1953
      old man1953
      (64 years old)