IGNORED

How long to get 'used to' a new set of clubs?

Note: This thread is 3946 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Just took delivery of a set of fitted Ping i20.. (+.25inch, blue dot, corded grips)..

I'm slicing/thinning the heck out of every ball i hit.. how long before one gets used to a new set of clubs?

That or maybe i wasn't warmed up so maybe hit a few more buckets and see?

Depends on how tense or out of sorts or how your tempo changes -- a new set of clubs does weird things to people.

Give it a day, week, month ... but get relaxed and find your swing again.

Swing with soft arms like you don't care, and you will find your way back.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Depends on how quickly you learn to accept what the new clubs give you rather than trying to demand performance you never had. If you were fitted properly, and had a repeatable and comfortable swing, plus have confidence, there should be no or very little time involved. The confidence part of the equation is the most volatile. Of course, if you were silly enough to think new clubs would lead to new and better performance, it will take a bit of time for reality to make it's inevitable appearance.

New clubs give you the joy of exploration for the small differences and will not be dramatic unless either the new set or the old set were very badly assembled or a very poor fit. New clubs can make you more eager to practice or play more often and that can give you the improvement you seek.

Shambles

You always try and get that explosive extra yard from new clubs then you did with your old ones

I find if I take 10 and then retry they do what I want or sometimes ha

Originally Posted by cavanagh

You always try and get that explosive extra yard from new clubs then you did with your old ones

I find if I take 10 and then retry they do what I want or sometimes ha

It's the first recourse of new guys and very much encouraged or at least not too often discouraged. You can sometimes buy a bit of extra distance by exerting the supreme effort and luckily also being able to execute all the most important elements of a good swing. However that distance is not going to belong to you until you can repeat it comfortably and most of the time. It does not require new clubs to manage this.

Shambles

I had a set of used Mizuno MX20 arrive yesterday and I shot within 1 stroke of my best round this year in my league last night - and I had 3 offline tee shots with my driver that cost me at least 3 strokes total. Every shot I hit with these irons went straight and felt pure.

I would think if a different set of clubs fits, they should work immediately - imo.

The harder you try the worse it will get.  It's like cutting crown molding.....sometimes you just need to step away for a day.  Go at it fresh tomorrow with no expectations.  You will be amazed how you mind and body and reset if allowed.

It's like a new lady.  Get your stroke and rhythm and play it like you played all the others.  As time goes on you'll figure out the clubs' nuances and exactly what they like you to do to them.

I got my Ping i20 a couple of weeks ago. Please note they have a swingweight of D0. This is a bit light. I verified this with a scale I own. Most other clubs I own (Mizuno, Callaway) have a swingweight of D2 or D3. It is possible you need to get used to this light swingweight if your previous clubs were heavier. Some people don't like clubs that are too light. In my case, I'm still not sure if I like the i20 over the G25 I also have. Jury still out. By the way. the G25 are also specified as D0 but in my scale measured D1.

Thanks for the comments folks.  Last night, went out and hit about 100 balls using mainly just the W, 9i etc.. tested out the longer irons just to see distance etc.. but focus was on smooth/easy swing.  Balls were pure/straight.. in love.  (Had 2009 Burners before, so the feel is greatly improved).

I do think i lose about 3-5 yars per club in the 6/7/8 iron range, so i'm not sure the huge difference it will translate on the course yet.. a 8i used to go 155, now goes 150.. will it impact things greatly? who knows.. but the feel is great.

Looking forward to more practicin'..

With new irons, you might want to do what I call an eye check.

Go to a room in your house where the floor has square tiles. Take a stance as if you're addressing the ball, and line up the clubface square to the back line of a tile. See what that position looks like to you. You may find it looks a little closed or open. This is because your eye is trained to see square as it looked for your old irons.

Target

|

When I first got my X20 irons, I often faded or pushed the ball. This was because my old irons had more offset than the X20s, and when I matched the old look at set-up, I was leaving the club a couple of degrees open. Once my eye got used to the new square (see blue clubface line in lower right box), I hit the ball fine (as long as I kept my head still).

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Note: This thread is 3946 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!