IGNORED

My Swing (JonMA1)

JonMA1
Note: This thread is 1983 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

As a side note: What I feel is, that I'm "bumping" my hip to the left, and my knees just sorta follow along. The trick for me was to keep my spine angle in check, i.e. spine is the same at impact as at address, or pretty close. this gets your weight to the left for righty players. The problem I had was I swung to hard, losing my balance due to my shoulders being to level, and losing my spine angle, there fore I couldn't maintain my balance. Also Key #1 plays a big roll in this, as does Key #2.

I found that Slowing my swing, i.e. tempo also helped a bunch, and helped me finish my shots much better, all this was due to mvmac's guidance. I hope this helps some what.

I really appreciate it Greg. Your advice will help. Mike and Erik have helped me tremendously as well.

I will focus on my spine angle the next time out. Yes, slowing down has helped with some other issues (this video is at around 75%).

I will eventually get it. Even a bit more of a bump will be better than what I had last year. More weight on that left side at impact and a balanced finish has already helped my iron play. Any forward hip movement should help when I start work on keys 3, 4 and 5.

Jon

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

If you watch PGA golf, look at the pros swing, in particular notice how the real good ball strikers finish their shots. Their heads are tilted toward the ball. I try really hard to emulate that, but having a twisted and curved spine sure doesn't help.

JFYI, I went to the range today, in fact about an hour ago, and really concentrated on holding my spine angle, and finishing my shots sorta like the pros, and concentrated on Key's 1 and 2. I hit 130 balls, and 93 were good strikes. Since I have come back to playing, and had a lesson from Mike, I've never had so much fun at the range. Sorry for the gibberish..

If you watch PGA golf, look at the pros swing, in particular notice how the real good ball strikers finish their shots. Their heads are tilted toward the ball. I try really hard to emulate that, but having a twisted and curved spine sure doesn't help.

JFYI, I went to the range today, in fact about an hour ago, and really concentrated on holding my spine angle, and finishing my shots sorta like the pros, and concentrated on Key's 1 and 2. I hit 130 balls, and 93 were good strikes. Since I have come back to playing, and had a lesson from Mike, I've never had so much fun at the range. Sorry for the gibberish..

93 out of 130 sounds good to me.

This may be a bad idea, but I will occasionally take swings with my back foot off the ground at impact. If I can finish in balance, this tells me that my weight was forward at impact without lunging forward.

Jon

Last video for a while - I promise.

I was hoping someone could answer the following questions:

1. Are the practice swings close to what I want as far as key#2?

2. Is the third swing on the right track? Brutal honesty would be appreciated.

Jon

• 3 weeks later...

I took the mat outside this past weekend to see if the good contact I've been feeling hitting into the net was real. The results were less than what I'd hoped for but not terribly surprising. For the most part, better contact than last year but still no where near the consistency needed to hit greens if the season were to start today. In a way, it's better to know this now while I still have a lot winter left with which to work.

I've decided that the forward hip movement - while nowhere near where it should be - is better than it was. My weight forward at impact also feels much better. I'm still going to continue working on it along with more effort towards keeping my head steady as I swing through. Been looking at PGA player video and comparing them to mine.

I'm trying to nail down the amount of weight distribution from A1 to A4. It feels better with a bit more weight on the lead foot all the way back - no less than 50-50 anyway. It's still a work in progress.

Next up, Key#3. I've yet to take any down-the-line video. I can often "feel" the club moving on plane - whether it's a correct plane or not remains to be seen and I'm guessing that sort of self-analysis is beyond my ability anyway. Not to get too far ahead of myself, but when it feels on plane, it seems to have a very positive effect on lag, impact position and power. In any event, the swing path is next. I'll have to do some serious reading.

Jon

• Administrator

Jon, I'd work on Key #1 done properly for a bit. For example:

I'd practice looking like that in a mirror for a few weeks. Make some 20% swings like this:

• Looking in a mirror, make a backswing.
  • Looking down, make a backswing 20% speed, check in the mirror.
  • Looking down, make a backswing 20% speed, pause for a split second, swing down 20% speed (it won't be 20% on the downswing, but don't worry about that).

Key #1 is "done properly" when it includes a proper pivot.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I'd practice looking like that in a mirror for a few weeks. Make some 20% swings like this:

Looking in a mirror, make a backswing.

Looking down, make a backswing 20% speed, check in the mirror.

Looking down, make a backswing 20% speed, pause for a split second, swing down 20% speed (it won't be 20% on the downswing, but don't worry about that).

Just to add a simple image to what Erik said.  Image you have a laser pointer sticking out of your belt.  Get the laser to keep moving back and to your right throughout the backswing.  If you had a camera taking video from down the line, point the laser at the camera.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Looking in a mirror, make a backswing.

Looking down, make a backswing 20% speed, check in the mirror.

Looking down, make a backswing 20% speed, pause for a split second, swing down 20% speed (it won't be 20% on the downswing, but don't worry about that).

I will work on this exactly as suggested for a few weeks or until I can make the pivot and keep my head from moving laterally.

Just to add a simple image to what Erik said.  Image you have a laser pointer sticking out of your belt.  Get the laser to keep moving back and to your right throughout the backswing.  If you had a camera taking video from down the line, point the laser at the camera.

I can get to 90 degrees with the shoulders, but the hip turn - maybe just past 45.

Are you saying get as much hip rotation on the backswing as possible?

Jon

I can get to 90 degrees with the shoulders, but the hip turn - maybe just past 45.

Are you saying get as much hip rotation on the backswing as possible?

Just going off the last video you posted, the shoulders aren't turning anywhere close to 90*.  So I would say feel like the hips turn a ton in order for them to get to 45*.  Ok to let them move slightly towards the target as well on the backswing.

Mike McLoughlin

I like the laser reference. imagine it in the end of the grip pointed at your belt buckle. lean over and move the clubhead out until its lined up. Lag and plane are gonna have relations with your right wrist. can you get your right hand to throw a golf ball to the target while standing sideways at address?
  • Upvote 1

Tom R.

TM R1 on a USTv2, TM 3wHL on USTv2, TM Rescue 11 in 17,TM udi #3, Rocketbladez tour kbs reg, Mack Daddy 50.10,54.14,60.14, Cleveland putter

Just going off the last video you posted, the shoulders aren't turning anywhere close to 90*.  So I would say feel like the hips turn a ton in order for them to get to 45*.  Ok to let them move slightly towards the target as well on the backswing.

Understood on the hip turn. Thanks.

As far as the video, I was trying to make half swings (the five "S"s of great practice) while working a specific key. But I'm sure you're right, on a full swing I'm probably not making as much of a turn as it feels.

Jon

• Administrator

Understood on the hip turn. Thanks.

As far as the video, I was trying to make half swings (the five "S"s of great practice) while working a specific key. But I'm sure you're right, on a full swing I'm probably not making as much of a turn as it feels.

Fair enough on the half swings - I was pretty sure that was not your "full swing" - but at no point in Tiger's swing (for example) would he look quite like that.

I'd rather see you make full backswings right now at a reduced pace (slow/short go together in the 5 "S"s).

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

By doing this slowly for several weeks, I'm hopeful it might help stretch things out in addition to it becoming more "natural". If I feel like the backswing is looking better, I'll increase speed from 20% to 25% and so on. I have a lot of winter left so I'd rather try and learn this the proper way.

Quote:

Originally Posted by iacas

...at no point in Tiger's swing (for example) would he look quite like that.

No argument here. When compared side-by-side to a proper backswing, it's really funny looking.

Jon

By doing this slowly for several weeks, I'm hopeful it might help stretch things out in addition to it becoming more "natural". If I feel like the backswing is looking better, I'll increase speed from 20% to 25% and so on. I have a lot of winter left so I'd rather try and learn this the proper way.

Correct that's the idea, keep doing it until it becomes your new "normal".  Good news is that you can just max out the feels and not worry about over doing it (at least not for a while).

Mike McLoughlin

• 5 months later...

I wanted to follow up on my last entry with how the iron swing I developed this winter is working.

I gave up on the video for a while and concentrated just on what felt like good contact. Keep in mind this was off of a mat and into a net 10 feet away so there wasn't a lot of information besides how solidly it felt. Anyway, after I came up with what felt like a consistent swing, I tried it out at a local simulator and was surprised by how positive the results were. My distances were substantially farther (some freakishly so) and my ball flight was either straight or right to left. Very few weak fades!

Long story short, after this initial success, I took some solicited advice from a very talented player and changed a few things - one of which was to stop leaning my club shaft forward at address. I didn't realize it at first, but taking this advice really hurt what I had developed. By this time the snow had started to melt, I was practicing outside and back to hitting craptacular shots. My son happened to be watching one day and he told me to try leaning my shaft forward at address. Unbelievable! Talk about a transformation... I started hitting these shots that would start lower but just continue to climb. I started using this setup again and I haven't looked back.

Along with the club shaft "pre-set" at address, some other things that seem important are:

1. The feeling that my head is staying directly over the ball through impact.

2. The left arm remains straight and my wrists break almost immediately upon starting the backswing with my upper body and hips (yes, my right leg straightens) completing the turn. It almost feels like the club is wrapping around and behind my shoulders.

3. On the downswing, I just have to maintain that same plane and inside path coming through. I believe the hips have to be moving forward to achieve this.

4. I try to finish in balance after contact but this doesn't always happen. It's a work in progress.

After playing for the last four months, I'm not very concerned with how the swing looks anymore. My distances are such that I now use 2 clubs less on certain holes than I did last year. More importantly, distances are now very consistent & predictable. Of course, I have a lot of work to do on the club face control, but the swing path feels right. Golf is a lot of fun when you know you can hit greens with every iron in the bag.

I apologize if this reads like I'm bragging. I will never be a really good player but I "worked" very hard at improving my iron game during the off-season and it's rewarding to see the effort pay off.

Now, for the driver, putter....

Jon

I wanted to follow up on my last entry with how the iron swing I developed this winter is working.  I gave up on the video for a while and concentrated just on what felt like good contact. Keep in mind this was off of a mat and into a net 10 feet away so there wasn't a lot of information besides how solidly it felt. Anyway, after I came up with what felt like a consistent swing, I tried it out at a local simulator and was surprised by how positive the results were. My distances were substantially farther (some freakishly so) and my ball flight was either straight or right to left. Very few weak fades! Long story short, after this initial success, I took some solicited advice from a very talented player and changed a few things - one of which was to stop leaning my club shaft forward at address. I didn't realize it at first, but taking this advice really hurt what I had developed. By this time the snow had started to melt, I was practicing outside and back to hitting craptacular shots. My son happened to be watching one day and he told me to try leaning my shaft forward at address. Unbelievable! Talk about a transformation... I started hitting these shots that would start lower but just continue to climb. I started using this setup again and I haven't looked back. Along with the club shaft "pre-set" at address, some other things that seem important are:  1. The feeling that my head is staying directly over the ball through impact. 2. The left arm remains straight and my wrists break almost immediately upon starting the backswing with my upper body and hips (yes, my right leg straightens) completing the turn. It almost feels like the club is wrapping around and behind my shoulders. 3. On the downswing, I just have to maintain that same plane and inside path coming through. I believe the hips have to be moving forward to achieve this. 4. I try to finish in balance after contact but this doesn't always happen. It's a work in progress. After playing for the last four months, I'm not very concerned with how the swing looks anymore. My distances are such that I now use 2 clubs less on certain holes than I did last year. More importantly, distances are now very consistent & predictable. Of course, I have a lot of work to do on the club face control, but the swing path feels right. Golf is a lot of fun when you know you can hit greens with every iron in the bag. I apologize if this reads like I'm bragging. I will never be a really good player but I "worked" very hard at improving my iron game during the off-season and it's rewarding to see the effort pay off. Now, for the driver, putter....

No one thinks your bragging so don't worry about it, it is nice to use this as some sort if documentation for you to remind your self with feels or as a reference for your improvement! I have to say though I'm surprised at your comment about stopping the video, that really is the only eye to confirm feels or progress IMO! But hey, if you are getting good results then I guess it doesn't matter right, I'm just sure a few of us here like to see progress and the picture changing that's all! Happy golfing!

:adams: / :tmade: / :edel: / :aimpoint: / :ecco: / :bushnell: / :gamegolf: / 

Eyad

No one thinks your bragging so don't worry about it, it is nice to use this as some sort if documentation for you to remind your self with feels or as a reference for your improvement!

I have to say though I'm surprised at your comment about stopping the video, that really is the only eye to confirm feels or progress IMO! But hey, if you are getting good results then I guess it doesn't matter right, I'm just sure a few of us here like to see progress and the picture changing that's all!

Happy golfing!

Thanks Eyad.

I agree that video is a useful tool - especially if you know what to look for. Last year for instance, I took a down the line video and could see immediately that I was coming over the top. I didn't "feel it" but the video clearly showed it. And of course, excessive head movement, leaving my weight back, etc.

But honestly, I don't know much beyond something obvious like that. I wouldn't know the difference between a stack and tilt swing and a reverse pivot. It's surely not a swing others would try to learn and beyond the comedic relief it might bring, I just can't think of a good reason to post it.

At some point I will start struggling again with my irons and then I'll be back to recording and self-analysis. For now I'm just going to enjoy the ride.

Jon

Thanks Eyad. I agree that video is a useful tool - especially if you know what to look for. Last year for instance, I took a down the line video and could see immediately that I was coming over the top. I didn't "feel it" but the video clearly showed it. And of course, excessive head movement, leaving my weight back, etc. But honestly, I don't know much beyond something obvious like that. I wouldn't know the difference between a stack and tilt swing and a reverse pivot. It's surely not a swing others would try to learn and beyond the comedic relief it might bring, I just can't think of a good reason to post it. At some point I will start struggling again with my irons and then I'll be back to recording and self-analysis. For now I'm just going to enjoy the ride.

Fair enough! Enjoy it for sure, as I think that is pretty much everyone's objective here. I'm happy to hear that you are too.

:adams: / :tmade: / :edel: / :aimpoint: / :ecco: / :bushnell: / :gamegolf: / 

Eyad

Note: This thread is 1983 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!