IGNORED

First Albatross

trackster
Note: This thread is 3912 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by Golfingdad

Off-topic, I know, and I think I'm in the minority as well, but ... I prefer the term "double eagle."

See, I feel like a double eagle should be an ace on a par 5, since eagle is -2, and double would be -4.

With that said, I know that's not the way it goes, and I agree...sounds better.

An ace on a par 5 would be a condor, correct?

Anyone know the origin of the bird names for subpar scoring?

Ryan M

The Internet Adjustment Formula:
IAD = ( [ADD] * .96 + [EPS] * [1/.12] ) / (1.15)

IAD = Internet Adjusted Distance (in yards)
ADD = Actual Driver Distance (in yards)
EPS = E-Penis Size (in inches)

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by Golfingdad

Off-topic, I know, and I think I'm in the minority as well, but ... I prefer the term "double eagle."

Double eagle definitely sounds more official.

Tyler Martin

Originally Posted by Slice of Life

See, I feel like a double eagle should be an ace on a par 5, since eagle is -2, and double would be -4.

With that said, I know that's not the way it goes, and I agree...sounds better.

Anyone know the origin of the bird names for subpar scoring?

Clearly, albatross makes more sense in keeping with the bird theme, and you're totally right that doubling -2 should be -4, so mathematically albatross also makes more sense, too.  (So, maybe it should be a 1.5 eagle??  Or how about "triple birdie?") I guess I'm just used to the "common-ness" of double eagle, and albatross will take a little getting used to.

• Upvote 1

I've heard of it referred to as a "condor" before. Never heard of one actually happening though.

Tyler Martin

Originally Posted by geauxforbroke

I've heard of it referred to as a "condor" before. Never heard of one actually happening though.

I only know it from video games.

Did a quick google search: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Par_(score)#Condor

Ryan M

Quote:

I only know it from video games.

Did a quick google search: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Par_(score)#Condor

You're a better gamer than I am then. Managed a few double eagles (albatross, double eagle, triple birdie, whatever), but never a condor.

Tyler Martin

You're a better gamer than I am then. Managed a few double eagles (albatross, double eagle, triple birdie, whatever), but never a condor.

Haha, not like tiger woods, more like garbage putt-putt games. lol

Ryan M

Quote:

Haha, not like tiger woods, more like garbage putt-putt games. lol

That's disappointing.

Tyler Martin

Originally Posted by Lihu

Quote:

Originally Posted by trackster

Alright, here is the layout of the hole.  The top path is how I would think that the hole is measured for distance purposes.  The top path is about 465 yards.  The bottom path is what I believe to be the shot path that I took.  That path is about 455 yards.  The spot where my shot path intersects the cart path the last time is roughly 300 yards.  My 2nd was played just beyond that cart path.  This distances aren't official but they are the best that I can provide.

Looks like a Par 5 (short, but a 5) to me.

Don't worry, most of the responses are positive.

Also, I think if you ace a hole at a local course you get your name on a plaque. As long as it is part of a normal round or tournament conditions. The only reason for those conditions is so that it's not done while practicing on the hole and hitting hundreds of balls to get one ace. I would think the same type of logic goes for the albatross (although I would be really surprised to see someone repeating a par 5 multiple times in a day to do it).

The other thing I noticed is that you had 4 total chances to get bounce off that cart path, and 3 at the distances you noted in an earlier post. The odds were in your favor. Really cool.

Anyway, a big congratulations again.

The club pro took down all my info and was gonna send me a certificate or something like that.

Awesome, big congrats.  At my home course the two par 5's on the front 9 play 499 and 501.  The back 9 par 5's play 543 and 531 (from the blue tees).

This is a great accomplishment from any tee box.  Congrats on your double eagle/albatross/blue jay/cardinal!!!!

See, I feel like a double eagle should be an ace on a par 5, since eagle is -2, and double would be -4.  With that said, I know that's not the way it goes, and I agree...sounds better. An ace on a par 5 would be a condor, correct? Anyone know the origin of the bird names for subpar scoring? :offtopic:

A double eagle is 3 less than par. Period.

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Originally Posted by Shorty

When I play in an ambrose (similar to a scramble) and we use my drive, my second and my putt, it wouldn't even ocur to me to think of it as an individual birdie, especially as it's a team event and not individual medal or match play.

that's the stupidest thing i ever heard.  a 2 on a par 5 is an albatross.  i don't give a chit if a damn gorilla hit the tee shot and an elk hit the second shot.  ALBATROSS

Originally Posted by David in FL

Thanks for pointing out something we already knew.

What was the point again?

Ryan M

Originally Posted by David in FL

Yeah, he knows that ... but the logic behind it isn't there.  He's simply saying if a single eagle is -2, then logically, a double eagle (as in single eagle times 2) should be -4.

Originally Posted by Shorty

When I play in an ambrose (similar to a scramble) and we use my drive, my second and my putt, it wouldn't even ocur to me to think of it as an individual birdie, especially as it's a team event and not individual medal or match play.

I like your name better ... sounds way classier than "scramble."

Originally Posted by trackster

Ah come on.  It's like I said if you get a hole in one in a scramble you're gonna count it right?  I hit my drive, my ball never moved from where I drove it too, I stepped up to it and knocked it in.

I can see the argument if you used someones shot in between, but if it's all you why not count it.

Like others (including myself) have said previously ... even if you do use all of your shots, there is a different frame of mind in a scramble than when playing a regular round.  If you are like me, you are caring less, and thus are relaxed more.  Not to mention, half the time, there is no stress at all because you know its likely somebody else will (or already has) put one in the fairway and you can just rare back and try something crazy.

If you were last to hit and all of your partners hit their tee shots OB, and again on the second shot you were last to hit and all of your teammates hit theirs into the pond on the left, then maybe your nerves would be at a level close to that of a regular round.  But, regardless, even if they are all of your shots, its still not quite the same.

• Upvote 1

I see no reason to bust his balls over the distance, he didn't design and rate the course. There's more to it than distance, obstacle factors etc. I've seen plenty of very long, flat, park style courses with very low ratings. Many with reachable par 5's that are well over 500 yds. But I do agree what happens in a scramble is good clean fun at best. Not really a significant accomplishment to pull off a great shot in that format in the same way wouldn't say you shot 22 under par or whatever the ridiculously low score your team turns in is.

Dave :-)

Note: This thread is 3912 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!