IGNORED

Who is a Bogey Golfer?

MEfree
Note: This thread is 3906 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1 member has voted

1. 1. According to the USGA "Bogey Rating" what scores do you THINK you need to shoot to be a Bogey Golfer on a par 72 course with a course rating of 72.0 and slope of 113?

• 90 gross average
    • 90 Equitable Stroke Control Average
    • 90 Equitable Stroke Control Average on your 10 best out of 20 rounds
    • 90 (for a man) & 92.1 (for a woman) Equitable Stroke Control Average on your 10 best out of 20 rounds
    • 93 (for a man) & 98.7 (for a woman) Equitable Stroke Control Average on your 10 best out of 20 rounds
    • I don't THINK

Originally Posted by MEfree

Are you a bogey golfer?  Who do you consider to be a bogey golfer?

Well I have been aware of the USGA definition of a bogie golfer for some time so I not ignorant of that.   But in my mind when someone says they're a bogie golfer I have always assumed they mean that they typically score about 90 +/- a couple of strokes on a par 72 course.  While that isn't exactly the same as the USGA definition it is the language of most daily fee players I would suspect and is close enough for Government work.

• Upvote 1

Butch

Glad to hear you are progressing- no reason to wait for 20 rounds from a single set of tees as the handicap system does a good job of determining the difficulty differences- this is why we have CR and slope so that the same player will end up with the same (or pretty similar) index regardless of where they play.

Thanks for the comment. One issue I have with farther tees is not knowing the consequences of a mishit as I am new to them. This makes me even more timid about making a good full swing. This factor compounds the distance difficulty. The same goes for a course I have never played. So, my handicap will be worse with longer holes, at least until I get used to my new swing. BTW, what's a golfer who breaks 80 regularly called? Besides good?

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

BTW, what's a golfer who breaks 80 regularly called? Besides good?

Not scratch..... :-(

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Originally Posted by Lihu

BTW, what's a golfer who breaks 80 regularly called?

Besides good?

I call him a single (short for single digit handicapper).

If he happens to be married, that complicates it a bit ...

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

Anyone who shoots 90-100 is a bogey golfer in my book.  Which is a much more lax definition than the calculations contained herein.

95 average versus 93 for the best 10 of 20 rounds sounds pretty close to me. :-)).

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Originally Posted by David in FL

Your example of 93 for men and 98.7 for women comes closest to that, but since course handicaps are rounded, there's really a bit of a range involved that would qualify.

I chose "Not thinking" as I do not have USGA but EGA HC. But I am with Dave with this one.

The software I use for stats calculates also an unofficial USGA HC so I can compare. My EGA HC currently is 15.5 and my "USGA" HC would be about 18. My average for last 10 has been 92.2. I would say I am still a bogey golfer but with a good trend (and currently a broken knee).

nb. In case someone is wondering. The reason why my EGA HC is so much lower than calculated USGA HC, is because of two rounds of 85&86 which lowered my EGA HC by 1.2 shots each.

Note: This thread is 3906 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!