• Announcements

    • iacas

      Introducing TST "Clubs!"   08/28/2017

      No, we're not getting into the equipment business, but we do have "clubs" here on TST now. Groups. Check them out here:
Sign in to follow this  
savosean

Choosing the right driver?

Recommended Posts

Hi, I still have the same driver that I had when I was 15 and was wondering if I should get a new one.

My driver is a regular flex, and its a 10.5 LOFT...

Now, I am currently hitting the ball 275+carry, and certainly hit it in the 300 range 5-7 times during a 18 hole.

Should, I be going with a stiff flex driver or is the regular flex what is really helping me get that distance.

I am also, hitting the ball on a much higher path then I use to even with a low tee up.

was looking at a 8.5 degree loft

thanks,

Sean Savoie

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sign up (or log in) today! It's free (and you won't see this ad anymore)!

Sign up (or log in) today! It's free (and you won't see this ad anymore)!

Your problem with lack of distance needs to be addressed. Until you can hit the ball a respectable length, stay with what you have. Driving is obviously ruining your scores. Why don't you try a different driver? A demo. It is possible that actually doing it might be more worthwhile than asking the opinions of strangers who haven't seen you swing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't think distance is my problem, nor do I feel my driver is giving me a worst score. Did you read what I wrote?

I am mostly talking about wanting a new driver because I hit the ball on a high arc, and my shaft is flexing way to much.

Was wondering what a stiff flex would do compared to a regular one. If dropping my loft, would solve the high arc problem.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Originally Posted by savosean

I don't think distance is my problem, nor do I feel my driver is giving me a worst score. Did you read what I wrote?

I am mostly talking about wanting a new driver because I hit the ball on a high arc, and my shaft is flexing way to much.

Was wondering what a stiff flex would do compared to a regular one. If dropping my loft, would solve the high arc problem.

Gawd......

You are asking people who have not seen you swing what you should do.

You also claim to hit the ball 300 yards half the time.

And you feel you have a problem.

How the F would anyone here know what you should do?

Go and spend five minutes hitting two demo drivers.

Try a stiffer shaft and try a lower loft. Is that advice too "left field" for you?

You might find that your "problem" isn't a problem at all.

It's one that most golfers would like to have.

But of course, a "4" marker who hits it 300 yards half the time knows that asking strangers for advice is the way to go.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You just seem very upset, for no reason. Its dissapointing that my first impression of users on this forum is not a good one. The big awnser to this question could of clearly been awnsered in simple go hit some demo drivers figure out the shaft for your self. this is not a question that can be acessed on a forum. But, you go an make responses like that just makes me wonder how much of a shitty life you are having.

So thanks for your help.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As a 4 hc who says he hits the ball 300 yards, have you really not tried a stiff shaft? Just is kind of hard to imagine. Definitely do a fitting. Also generally hitting the ball high is a good thing. Your reasons for wanting a new driver just don't make sense. You say the shaft is flexing too much and you are hitting it on a high arch...those are not in and of themselves problems.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Its to high, and I live in a really windy area. I want to hit the ball lower, and I really work on it. But, why would I not want to try a stiff shaft if it will give me even more yardage? Sure, I don't need it but I am looking at a new driver now. Since my driver is 5 years old.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You just seem very upset, for no reason. Its dissapointing that my first impression of users on this forum is not a good one. The big awnser to this question could of clearly been awnsered in simple go hit some demo drivers figure out the shaft for your self. this is not a question that can be acessed on a forum. But, you go an make responses like that just makes me wonder how much of a shitty life you are having. So thanks for your help.

No, that's just shorty keeping things in perspective. The only way you can get the flight you want is to get fitted. If you really average a high straight 275 plus yards carry with a regular shaft, nobody on the Internet can suggest anything worth while. You need to see a professional fitter.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

To Answer your question, you probably need a stiff or extra stiff shaft depending on your tempo And the characteristics of the shaft such as weight, etc. The key is to get fit or send a video to a fitter

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by Lihu

No, that's just shorty keeping things in perspective.

The only way you can get the flight you want is to get fitted. If you really average a high straight 275 plus yards carry with a regular shaft, nobody on the Internet can suggest anything worth while.

You need to see a professional fitter.


Well, shorty is a F'ing idiot.

All I wanted was a response to my question, not someone who has life problems posting in anger on a forum thread. I appreciate the people that were helpful, but I can't get fitted for anything were I live so I won't be able to do that until I go back to University in September.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Originally Posted by savosean

Well, shorty is a F'ing idiot.

You are the F'ing iduot.

A 4 marker (Yeah right) who asks strangers the questions you did. Ridiculous.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Originally Posted by savosean

until I go back to University in September.

(snip)

I am also, hitting the ball on a much higher path then I use to even with a low tee up.

I'm guessing you mean "than I used to", but hey, I've made typos myself, there's one in my last post.

Seriously - have you not just tried hitting a couple of shots with another driver, you don't have to get fitted to do that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You don't look at 8.5 of loft -- because all heads are not created equal.  Some heads are very low spinning and you may need more loft.

You want something adjustable

You need to find a shaft weight and characteristics you like.

You need a pro to put it all together.

I suggest you have patience and wait 2-3 more weeks until you can find a reputable fitter.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by Shorty

You are the F'ing iduot.

A 4 marker (Yeah right) who asks strangers the questions you did. Ridiculous.

Yes, I am a 4 handicap who ask these questions. Because it is good to know information from others who have been in the same situation. I certainly could wait a month before I get back to the city for school, and try clubs out until I find the perfect club. Or, I can ask people who have educated opinions on this subject, and or have been through the same situation as me some sugestions. If you are to ignorant to understand, these questions are ask'd to simply gather the most information I can before a purchase then you are down right incompetent.

Originally Posted by Shorty

I'm guessing you mean "than I used to", but hey, I've made typos myself, there's one in my last post.

Seriously - have you not just tried hitting a couple of shots with another driver, you don't have to get fitted to do that.


No, I have not I live in a small town at the moment and litteraly don't have any golf stores. The golf Course I have been golfing at does not even let me try out a club, if I want to test it out before buying. As for typos I am french and english is my second language so I will probably make a lot of typos.

Originally Posted by Mr. Desmond

You don't look at 8.5 of loft -- because all heads are not created equal.  Some heads are very low spinning and you may need more loft.

You want something adjustable

You need to find a shaft weight and characteristics you like.

You need a pro to put it all together.

I suggest you have patience and wait 2-3 more weeks until you can find a reputable fitter.

Thank you for the detailed response, and I appreciate you taking the time to respond. You have restored my faith with the community on here for now, and hopefully most of the community on these forums are more like you. I don't understand why someone can be so angry and type such ignorant post just because he feels the necessity to do so. Once, again thanks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  



  • Want to join this community?

    We'd love to have you!

    Sign Up
  • 2017 TST Partners

    Talamore Golf Resort
    PING Golf
    FlightScope Mevo
    Mission Belt
    Snell Golf
    Frogger Golf
    PitchFix USA
  • Posts

    • That's good to know. I've been debating between getting this Zevo complete set, or trying to find a decent quality iron set $150 to $250, that I can use with the current driver I have. Only problem is trying to find one new that isn't poor quality, or one used that doesn't look like it's been beaten to hell and back. Gotta love it! 
    • I haven't watched it, but I've read many of the comics when I was a kid. So, heightened other senses. . .Tradeoffs. Hmm, I wonder how much of that applies to golf?   Another topic for the healing lounge. Golf was insulted by a co-worker who doesn't know much about golf today. I told my co-worker that many of my partners think I can't hit far until I start hitting far on the course or range, because I look kind of dumpy. The real reason is that many have known me for years and knew me when I didn't drive this far on average, which actually only happened recently. Then he said "No golfer looks athletic, they all look out of shape. They're not athletes. You look more athletic than any of them." Then I told him about long drive, and he admitted watching some blurb on TV about that and stated "Yes, but that's not golf. Is it?" So, he agreed that long drivers look like athletes, while still stating that PGA Tour players don't look anything resembling athletes. You know what? I agreed with him, because it's kind of true. . . I was suddenly reminded of one of my recent post about "Fattest golfers on the PGA Tour." vs the "Fittest golfers on the PGA Tour."  Off the top of my head, only Rory, Sergio and Camillo. In recent pictures, Dustin looks like a twig. Tiger has skinny calves. Golf needs to heal from this mornings barrage of "We are not athletes." . . .
    • Make sure you try Ping. I think it's a really good product. I recently hit some of those at the store and wow, made my AP1's feel like an old boat car w/ AM radio and no air conditioning. If I ever get new irons I will definitely look at those Ping again. 
    • Thanks for your replies. I understand the points about provisional balls, and yes, if it is thought the ball is lost or OB, then hit again.   But there is always the issue of the ball that is hit well and yet is still lost. Not an issue usually for the wide open parkland courses were you can see every ball land, but take other courses such as UK links courses with lots of blind carries and running fast in summer with lots of wind. A different matter completely and not a rare problem. If a golfer hits a good solid straight drive up over a rising fairway to where it flattens out, they are not going to see it land. The wrong bounce, some wind and the ball’s in the rough out of sight from the tee. Are they really going to hit again? And again if that’s another straight drive? At a course I play regularly it’s like this with about 10 or so blind shots and the other day we’d booked a tee time only to turn up and find 4 groups still waiting on the first tee. Turned out there was a competition ahead and some of the groups had experienced ‘lost ball issues’ according to the starter. Welcome to the 5 hour round! I understand that changing the rule would be difficult, and it’s unfortunate that the governing bodies couldn’t come up with something around this to reduce the curse of slow play when they did their rules review. But hopefully some of the new rules, such as the ‘maximum score’ on each hole, will help. However, some clubs have introduced some local rules. One club in my area have a ‘no going back’ rule that applies to all play other than the most serious competitions. Encourages more use of provisional balls, but also uses the lateral hazard type rule I spoke of before. Also read this link below Andy http://treelight.com/golf/rules/stroke-and-distance-the-stupidest-penalty-in-golf/  
    • Also, consider a graphite shaft for your 2iron if your budget allows. Doesn't have to be a iron shaft, per sea. 
  • Blog Entries

  • Today's Birthdays

  • Get Great Gear with Amazon