IGNORED

People who honk 0.000001 seconds after the light turns green

nevets88
Note: This thread is 3888 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

This drives me insane. I don't know what the numbers are but I think it happens to me at least once per day. It is particularly bad in No. California.

I have to agree with you there. My car has voice commands and I don't like texting while driving. It does bother me a lot seeing people talk on the phone or looking down at their phone and not paying attention to the road. What's bad is that I see drivers talking on their phone with a child in a carseat in the back row. I still think that even with a hands-free device, your driving ability is still hindered by I'd say 50%.

Best Regards,
Ryan

In the :ogio: bag:
:nike: VR-S Covert Tour Driver 10.5 :nike: VR-S Covert Tour 3W :titleist: 712U 21*
:nike: VR Pro Blades 4-PW :vokey: Vokeys 52*, 56* & 60* :scotty_cameron: Studio Select Newport 2
:leupold:
:true_linkswear: 

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I try not to use the smartphone for anything while driving, but I do make some exceptions when it's a red light, but I know in my state, that's still officially a violation. I noticed when I'm at a red and looking at my phone, even when I react immediately to a light change, and I'm pretty fast on the draw, people still honk. I think they've made up their minds beforehand - driver with smartphone in front on red, honk irregardless.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by RPMPIRE

Another is if I'm in the fast lane going (obviously going above the speed limit) and some fool decides to merge into the same lane in front of me just to get away from another slow vehicle (like a semi or just any other slow car) and paces with the stupid car they just got away from. If you're going to move to get away from a slow vehicle, why are you going the same speed AFTER the merge?!

What's worse is when someone moves over in front of me when there wasn't a bloody soul in front of them in their lane for miles. Happens to me at least once a week.

Originally Posted by saevel25

Oh, i am one of those people who if you tale them, i will put my cruse control on at the same speed with the guy next to me, and just make you sit there and wait. I HATE WHEN PEOPLE TAIL ME, get off the ass of my car, my car doesn't roll that way.

If I'm going faster than the cars in the right lane and will eventually be clear of them with an opportunity to move back over and let the cars behind me by, then yeah it's a douche move for someone to be right on my bumper. But I would never intentionally go the same speed as the car next to me when I know there's someone who wants to pass, and I don't understand your rationale for doing so.

It's actually a bad idea in general to cruise right next to another car no matter what speed you both are going - you're probably in their blind spot, and even if you're not you're not giving either you or them any room to maneuver in an emergency.

Originally Posted by RPMPIRE

Quote:

Originally Posted by mchepp

This drives me insane. I don't know what the numbers are but I think it happens to me at least once per day. It is particularly bad in No. California.

I have to agree with you there. My car has voice commands and I don't like texting while driving. It does bother me a lot seeing people talk on the phone or looking down at their phone and not paying attention to the road. What's bad is that I see drivers talking on their phone with a child in a carseat in the back row. I still think that even with a hands-free device, your driving ability is still hindered by I'd say 50%.

Yeah, hands-free devices don't make you any safer unless it does voice commands. If not you still have to look at your phone while operating it, and that's the unsafe part, not the actual talking so much. But the hands-free companies had good lobbyists, so now we have the shitty law.

[Edit] ...and I'm sure the counties don't mind the extra revenue from tickets and court fees.

Bill

Originally Posted by sacm3bill

If I'm going faster than the cars in the right lane and will eventually be clear of them with an opportunity to move back over and let the cars behind me by, then yeah it's a douche move for someone to be right on my bumper. But I would never intentionally go the same speed as the car next to me when I know there's someone who wants to pass, and I don't understand your rationale for doing so.

It's actually a bad idea in general to cruise right next to another car no matter what speed you both are going - you're probably in their blind spot, and even if you're not you're not giving either you or them any room to maneuver in an emergency.

Cause, when i am in the outside lane i speed. I am like to 10% of fastest driver out there. If there is some heavy traffic, don't tale me, i will get out of the way as soon as i have room. To me its like pushing someone on the golf course when the course is packed, i mean come one. Like taling me is going to make me go faster. So i do the opposite, why because i'm an ass when i want to be. You tail me, your going to sit there until i decide you get to pass. You just lost the control you thought you gained by tailing me, thought you would put pressure on me to move over, tough shit, i ain't moving now.

Not when i can see the person next to me. If you have your mirrors set up right, you can negate almost all the blind spot in the car.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

But I would never intentionally go the same speed as the car next to me when I know there's someone who wants to pass, and I don't understand your rationale for doing so.

Agree 100%.  I used to be like saevel when I was younger, so I understand his mentality completely.  Tap my brakes when tailgated, drive next to the car next to me so they can't pass, etc, etc.  Basically, try to "out-prick" the guy.  Then I got a little older and realized I'm doing nobody any good.  The tiny bit of satisfaction I got from doing that was petty for one, and paled in comparison to the risk involved in having somebody tailgating me.  (Not to mention the extra risk, albeit fairly tiny, that I'm helping to cause somebody's road rage)  Now?  If you are driving behind me and are going faster than me, as soon as it's reasonable for me to do so, I let you pass.  Even if you are honking, flipping me off, tailgating me, whatever.  I don't want anything to do with you, and you can gladly speed on by and be somebody else's problem.

And I agree with this one 1000%.  I try my darnedest to not drive directly next to somebody for any length of time.  I want to have room to maneuver if I have to, and I don't want people swerving into me.  I want as much control over my surroundings as possible. :)

Quote:

Not when i can see the person next to me. If you have your mirrors set up right, you can negate almost all the blind spot in the car.

Actually you can negate *all* the blind spots. But that doesn't mean the guy next to you knows how to do that.  And even he does, you're still taking away that emergency maneuvering option from both of you.

Bill

Actually you can negate *all* the blind spots. But that doesn't mean the guy next to you knows how to do that.  And even he does, you're still taking away that emergency maneuvering option from both of you.

RIght.  You can absolutely set it up such that you can see everybody around you.  And that is a very safe thing to do.  However, you can never set it up such that you'll be able to predict what those people are going to do next.  It's always safER to keep as much room as possible between you and all cars around you.

Sort of along these same lines, one thing I hate doing (but sometimes cannot avoid here in Socal) is changing lanes while directly even with a car 2 lanes over.  I see him, but I don't know if he sees me and I'm afraid he's going to try and "share" that lane with me.  When I do that, I change lanes slooooooooooooowly. ;)

Still doesn't matter if your on a highway were you don't have maneuverability to begin with. If i can't get over, the guy shouldn't tail me, i am not going to speed up just for his sake.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:

If you're in the left lane, and not passing anyone, you should not be in the left lane.

Driver: :cobra: Amp Cell Blue

Fairway: :cobra: Amp Cell 4 Wood

Hybrid: :cobra: Amp Cell 3H

Irons: :cobra: Amp Cell (4-GW)

Wedge: :titleist: Vokey SM4 60*

Putter: Seemore PCB - Nickel

Ball: :bridgestone: e6

If you're in the left lane, and not passing anyone, you should not be in the left lane. Sent from my Windows Phone using Tapatalk

the problem is, in Ohio you either have little traffic, or crazy traffic. usually what happens is, the slow ones do stat right, but there is a wide range of speeds in the left lane. if you get right you'll be stuck. so I would say I am passing, but I'm just mass passing people. I get ticked at the guy who tails people on a crowded highway, were I can't get over. I'm not going to go 90 for that guy. if it's a light traffic, I have no problem bopping over. its about being respectful of the conditions people were driving currently, if I'm stuck behind a slow guy in the fast lane, don't tail me, I can only go as fast as the slowest car in front of me.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

Quote:

Originally Posted by GillPier

If you're in the left lane, and not passing anyone, you should not be in the left lane.

Sent from my Windows Phone using Tapatalk

the problem is, in Ohio you either have little traffic, or crazy traffic. usually what happens is, the slow ones do stat right, but there is a wide range of speeds in the left lane. if you get right you'll be stuck. so I would say I am passing, but I'm just mass passing people. I get ticked at the guy who tails people on a crowded highway, were I can't get over. I'm not going to go 90 for that guy.

if it's a light traffic, I have no problem bopping over. its about being respectful of the conditions people were driving currently, if I'm stuck behind a slow guy in the fast lane, don't tail me, I can only go as fast as the slowest car in front of me.

That's all fine, but that's not what we're talking about. You said this:

Oh, i am one of those people who if you tale them, i will put my cruse control on at the same speed with the guy next to me, and just make you sit there and wait. I HATE WHEN PEOPLE TAIL ME, get off the ass of my car, my car doesn't roll that way.

You didn't say anything there about being stuck behind a slow guy. You said you intentionally go the same speed as the guy next to you, Don't do that please.

Bill

Still doesn't matter if your on a highway were you don't have maneuverability to begin with. If i can't get over, the guy shouldn't tail me, i am not going to speed up just for his sake.

There is nothing wrong with this, however, I disagree with the bold.  Yes, he's in the wrong for tailgating you, but is he the only one in danger in this situation?  No, of course not.  If you have to suddenly slam on your brakes, now you are also in danger.  And, yes, I get that an accident in this situation would be 100% his fault, but wouldn't you rather not be involved in an accident at all than have somebody else's insurance pay for your damaged car and possible medical bills?  The fact that all of your future hassles are going to be free seems like a teeny, tiny, compensation that just isn't worth it.  I'd rather avoid the hassle altogether than get some silly satisfaction out of slowing that guy down by a bit.

You didn't say anything there about being stuck behind a slow guy. You said you intentionally go the same speed as the guy next to you, Don't do that please.

LOL ... I was going to give the almost identical response. :)

I get frustrated when I have the cruise control on while driving on a highway, I pass a car, a few miles later, that same car passes me. Sure enough, this other car eventually slows down and I end up passing it again. On longer trips, you can end up passing the same car 3 or 4 times while having your cruise set at the same speed the entire time. I'm not sure why this gets under my skin, but, c'mon people, I don't want to play an automobile version of leapfrog with you on the highway...

Originally Posted by colin007

Intentionally driving at the same speed next to someone else to prevent people from passing? Dick move.

In NYC, this is routine. People see you switch on the turn signal, they speed up. If you do manage to change lanes, they back off. They weren't in a rush - they just didn't want you to get in. I don't do this, but based on my experience, lots of people do.

In general, you've probably heard me say this before, in general, people suck.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Originally Posted by nevets88

In NYC, this is routine. People see you switch on the turn signal, they speed up. If you do manage to change lanes, they back off. They weren't in a rush - they just didn't want you to get in. I don't do this, but based on my experience, lots of people do.

In general, you've probably heard me say this before, in general, people suck.

I don't stop people from getting over, i'll actually slow down a bit sometimes to allow someone over. Especially if its a drop lane for that guy, i rather not have him force his way over because he's running out of room.

Speaking of running out of room, i hate the guys who floor it, down lets say a left land ends merge left. Like if they go from 3 lane highway to two lane highway. They give you warnings, 1/2 mile ahead, 1/4 mile ahead, ect... Get over. There's no wondering why these areas have high crash related incidents, because stupid people decide to try to cut off someone on a merge lane.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

Actually, traffic studies show that traffic flows better when drivers in the merging lane go to the end of that lane and then get over. People getting over en masse a half mile ahead cause traffic to back up much father back.

Colin P.

Originally Posted by colin007

Actually, traffic studies show that traffic flows better when drivers in the merging lane go to the end of that lane and then get over. People getting over en masse a half mile ahead cause traffic to back up much father back.

I don't think he is talking about people merging at the end normally, he's talking about people who speed passed everyone and force their way in at the last second. I don't know where those traffic studies were done, but it makes no sense anyway. If people merge early in an orderly fashion instead of "en mass" or at the last second it is much safer and smoother. I've seen many more close calls for accidents by people acting like Savael25 said than I've ever seen when people merge earlier and more controlled.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

Note: This thread is 3888 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!