IGNORED

My Swing (Abu3baid)

Abu3baid

Very interesting swing in post 187.I am wondering if you feel any physical strain with it as you go to the top?

I'm sorry, what do you mean? What could possibly be interesting in my swing? Strain? Nothing I can note!

:adams: / :tmade: / :edel: / :aimpoint: / :ecco: / :bushnell: / :gamegolf: / 

Eyad

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I'm sorry, what do you mean? What could possibly be interesting in my swing? Strain? Nothing I can note!

First I gather you are quite a good player,Your swing strikes me as being very centered with controlled head movement,a big 100-110 degree shoulder turn and a shut face at the top.I find for me,of course being older,to be a very strenuous combination of moves which do require a narrower stance which you have.This is the reason for my observation and question.

"There is no reason to listen to me. I am merely voicing my opinion on certain aspects of golf mechanics that I have experimented with along with others I have read about and watched." - freedrop, on himself [Source]

User was banned February 22, 2014 for multiple violations.

First I gather you are quite a good player,Your swing strikes me as being very centered with controlled head movement,a big 100-110 degree shoulder turn and a shut face at the top.I find for me,of course being older,to be a very strenuous combination of moves which do require a narrower stance which you have.This is the reason for my observation and question.

Thanks, but my swing and game is still a major work in progress.. If you take a look at my swings from earlier you will see I'm still going through a major swing mechanic "evolution", but things are improving.. Regarding your question, no I don't feel any strain swinging, and most likely i am over swinging still, but I'm not going to worry about it,as it isn't a priority of mine.. Thanks for stopping by.

Eyad

Thanks, but my swing and game is still a major work in progress.. If you take a look at my swings from earlier you will see I'm still going through a major swing mechanic "evolution", but things are improving..

Regarding your question, no I don't feel any strain swinging, and most likely i am over swinging still, but I'm not going to worry about it,as it isn't a priority of mine..

Thanks for stopping by.

I don't think you look like this overswing,but it's something to keep in mind.

"There is no reason to listen to me. I am merely voicing my opinion on certain aspects of golf mechanics that I have experimented with along with others I have read about and watched." - freedrop, on himself [Source]

Centered head movement controlled by his proper loss of right knee flex and shoulder turn angle. He's doing a good job here.

He might get a bit too much shoulder turn, but he is working on feels right now, so a lot of things start to get exaggerated. Maybe a final tune up would be too feel like he's making shorter turns just to help facilitate a steadier head and more consistency in ball striking. Right now that is not a major concern unless it starts to effect how he learns the other keys.

He probably has little strain on his body because he's not restricting his turn by keeping his right knee flexed. So I don't get were you are saying he's straining himself.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

He probably has little strain on his body because he's not restricting his turn by keeping his right knee flexed. So I don't get were you are saying he's straining himself.

What I am referring to is what seems to be his desire to keep the club face square all the way back to the top resulting in a closed face at that position.As a result he has to make an extra big shoulder turn to feel he is getting to  the top then having to make an exaggerated leg drive at the bottom in order to allow the left wrist to flatten out preventing a hook.He is not allowing his arms to rotate on the takeaway making it a strenuous effort IMO.

What I am referring to is what seems to be his desire to keep the club face square all the way back to the top resulting in a closed face at that position.As a result he has to make an extra big shoulder turn to feel he is getting to  the top then having to make an exaggerated leg drive at the bottom in order to allow the left wrist to flatten out preventing a hook.He is not allowing his arms to rotate on the takeaway making it a strenuous effort IMO.

Now tell me why I am wrong and leave my daddy out of it.

On the clubface during the backswing and at the top of the swing,

Honestly what the club does as the top doesn't matter much. Hogan had a huge cup at the top of the swing, and reversed it to a bowed in the downswing. Dustin Johnson keeps a huge amount of bow in his wrist and maintains it in the downswing. Depends on what the golfer likes to do. Tiger always like to have a flat wrist. Also the clubface angle will depend on the grip. @Abu3baid 's grip is on the strong side, so the clubface will not be at the typical square position that everyone says is needed at the top because it changes the relationship between his left hand and the clubface angle. Meaning, if his left wrist is flat at the top with a strong left hand, then the culbface will look different compared to a person who has a weak left hand. So that has to be taken into perspective.

Some golfers have a very early wrist rotation. @mvmac posted a swing in the Norther Trust Open thread that had a pro who had his clubface nearly rotate 90 degrees open when the club is at A3 (parallel to the ground in the backswing). That is an extreme case, but the guy is clearly a good golfer. Some players might have very late clubface rotation.

Here's a guy who does, Matt Kutchar. Very late clubface rotation in the backswing, but has no problem with his swing length.

The clubface angle doesn't control the backswing length. Cocking the wrist could control it. Cocking the wrist early might give the sense that a person has finished the swing. Cocking the wrist may or may not cause clubface rotation. What usually controls backswing length is the turn rates between the shoulders and the hips. What also causes overswinging is trying to create depth with the hands, instead of with a good body turn. Or a person can be John Daly

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:

"Abu3baid's grip is on the strong side,"-saevel125,you wrote this.....IMO opinion this is very important depending on what you mean.

"Abu3baid's grip is on the strong side,"-saevel125,you wrote this.....IMO opinion this is very important depending on what you mean.

Ummm, what do you think I mean? Cause I mean what I mean.

Yes, his grip is on the strong side. Which isn't a bad thing. I personally prefer a slightly stronger grip.

Read, there are 5 things the best golfers of all time do very very well. They are listed on this forum, and have been discussed many times. Where the clubface points at the top, how the arms rotate in the backswing, it doesn't matter unless it negatively effecting his swing. Honestly it isn't hurting his swing. The forearm rotation ISN'T causing him to overswing. He's just overswinging. His hip turn looks good, his shoulder turn looks good, he's just really really turning a lot. Its not that hard to see.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

Ummm, what do you think I mean? Cause I mean what I mean.

Yes, his grip is on the strong side. Which isn't a bad thing. I personally prefer a slightly stronger grip.

Read, there are 5 things the best golfers of all time do very very well. They are listed on this forum, and have been discussed many times. Where the clubface points at the top, how the arms rotate in the backswing, it doesn't matter unless it negatively effecting his swing. Honestly it isn't hurting his swing. The forearm rotation ISN'T causing him to overswing. He's just overswinging. His hip turn looks good, his shoulder turn looks good, he's just really really turning a lot. Its not that hard to see.

Right, it is strong and will compound the situation as I described it IMO....but not your's

Very interesting swing in post 187.I am wondering if you feel any physical strain with it as you go to the top?

*No mention of strong grip

Quote:

Originally Posted by freedrop

*No Mention of strong grip

I don't think you look like this overswing,but it's something to keep in mind.

*First time mentioning strong grip, but only quoting that I said @Abu3baid has a stronger grip.

Right, it is strong and will compound the situation as I described it IMO....but not your's

Now you mention that it will compound the situation. Compound what? You haven't mentioned anything. You haven't described any scenario. You go by asking about physical strain. @Abu3baid basically told you he didn't have any. Then you mention him having a very centered turn, which is a good thing. Also mention he has a larger shoulder turn. Then you talk about his clubface being closed because in the backswing, and how it causes him to overswing.

I don't get how a strong grip compounds this, care to explain, cause you haven't yet?

For once please write technically, explain in DETAIL how your ideas work in the golf swing. Cause you haven't once done that, and it leads to these sort of back and forth tit for tat discussions were you clearly loose because you don't write with substance.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

Saevel125...I'm not going to go on and on ,I have said what I wanted to this point.

Agreed, I don't really feel much strain.. In reality I don't feel like I start my downswing until I feel the tension at A4!  Not sure if it is a good thing or not, but I can't help it right now.

Well, in reality I have no desire to keep the club face square/open/closed.. It's not even a thought that I have or something that I have ever considered or thought about..  I'm sorry, but I also do not even think about making a full shoulder turn, all I do is just turn until I feel tension, and this is just something that I do with out even thinking about.. Also, I am not fighting a hook at all.. My miss has been the "straight push" especially with longer clubs..

Can you expand on allowing my arms to rotate on the takeaway?  Do you men my forearms? If that is what you mean then again, I don't have that thought in my mind "don't rotate arm".. never considered it. so, I can't be preventing it.

@Abu3baid's grip is on the strong side,

Cocking the wrist could control it. Cocking the wrist early might give the sense that a person has finished the swing.

Lots of good stuff, but I only wanted to comment on the above.. yes, as of right now I want to have a strong grip because that is the only way I was able to get "structure" into my grip and be able to get good sequencing in my swing later on.  Also, Cocking the wrist was another priority piece for me which helped me reduce my overswing.. If you go back and take a look at some of my early swings in the thread you will see what real over swinging is!

It is true.. I am currently playing a strong grip as mentioned above.

The forearm rotation ISN'T causing him to overswing. He's just overswinging. His hip turn looks good, his shoulder turn looks good, he's just really really turning a lot. Its not that hard to see.

Yes, most likely I am just turning too much, at least I think I am.. Until it becomes a priority piece like you mentioned I'm not going to worry about it.

This is the point I want to really get an understanding in.. What situation will be compounded?  I mean, if you took a look at some of my previous swings, you would see that I was really overswinging badly, and this was being done with a weak grip.  Switching to a strong grip has helped me tremendously with ball striking and controlling both my start lines and my curve.

Now you mention that it will compound the situation. Compound what? You haven't mentioned anything.

I don't get how a strong grip compounds this, care to explain, cause you haven't yet?

I am also interested in learning more about this.

Dear freedrop,

I am working hard on achieving my goals, if you can help that would be great.  Can you please point out to me what is the priority piece for me to work on fixing so that I can improve and give me a drill or two to work on to help on that priority?  I appreciate it.

Eyad

New posture I plan on taking to the course for the first time tomorrow:

minus the sandals!  Let us see if I have done enough work at home for my body to be comfortable with it.

Eyad

minus the sandals!  Let us see if I have done enough work at home for my body to be comfortable with it.

So? Update? What did you shoot today?

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

Well I was able to take my posture to the course, but that was about it.. One thing that hurt me was that i was not fully cocking my wrist up in A3 and it was throwing my swing off big time.. I think it was because my only swing thought was getting into my posture,. I don't know if this is normal, but it is frustrating.. I mean I was mishitting my pitching wedge and other irons, just not right.. Anyway, I taped my self after i got back at the range and that is where I noticed that my sequencing was way off.. I will post a swing or two, but I know one thing, I'm not going to think about my posture anymore, I know I can get into it fine.. I will go back to the old thoughts of having a proper A3 position and then transitioning correctly into A6..

Eyad

Yes that looks much better. The thing with set up, they can come and go. For me I found that if I know I am set up the way I want, I push that thought away, then focus on my swing feel. Maybe in your preshot routine something like this. Line up to the ball, posture feels good, take a waggle to set up into your A3 swing though. Something to break up the thought process and get you set.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag