IGNORED

My journey to breaking 80.

Finley
Note: This thread is 3302 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Thanks. It felt nice to get another, I just don't know why I'm all over the place... I've been everywhere from the two scores in the 70's, to scores in the 90's over the past year. It's probably the focus thing, have my good days and bad. Btw, just saw I missed your question about my daughter's golf. We've been to the range a few times, and to the Par 3 once. I ask her every weekend if she wants to go, but she chooses going to the pool with Mom over golf 90% of the time. No worries though, not going to try to force it. Sounds like you've had quite a few rounds in the 70's... That's great. What is your typical scoring range? High 70's to mid-80's? What seems to be working out for you?

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks. It felt nice to get another, I just don't know why I'm all over the place... I've been everywhere from the two scores in the 70's, to scores in the 90's over the past year. It's probably the focus thing, have my good days and bad.

Btw, just saw I missed your question about my daughter's golf. We've been to the range a few times, and to the Par 3 once. I ask her every weekend if she wants to go, but she chooses going to the pool with Mom over golf 90% of the time. No worries though, not going to try to force it.

Sounds like you've had quite a few rounds in the 70's... That's great. What is your typical scoring range? High 70's to mid-80's? What seems to be working out for you?

Just curious.....

Does your high scores, lets say 85 or over, stay with you for a few rounds or weeks?

Example, you hit 85, 87, 90, 91, 88, 93.

Then you start hitting lower scores again, 82 or lower, for a few months, or so.

In my bag Driver: Cleveland CG tour black Fairway Woods: Diablo Octane 3 wood; Diablo 5 wood Irons: Mizuno MP53 5-9 Hybrid: Cobra 3, 4 T-Rail Wedge: 46* Cleveland, 50* Cleveland, 54* Titleist, 60* Titleist Putter: Odyssey protype #6 Ball: Maxfli U4/U6... But I'm not really picky about the ball I use.

Just curious..... Does your high scores, lets say 85 or over, stay with you for a few rounds or weeks? Example, you hit 85, 87, 90, 91, 88, 93. Then you start hitting lower scores again, 82 or lower, for a few months, or so.

It really is all over the place... The weekend prior to the 78, I had a 92, so it can be round to round. I've also gone on streaks of shooting low - mid 80's for a month and then high 80's to low 90's the next month. I guess we'll see what happens this weekend, I am playing a much easier course.

84 today..... but man, it was an "easy" 84 where I think it could've easily been sub-80.  I played once in early June, once in early July, but I've practiced a ton the past few weeks and reviewed my lesson video while reading the Lowest Score Wins book.  I laugh at how optimistic I was earlier in this thread about the year, but it's still do-able this year. I got derailed in golf with some family obligations (my daughter just married, so I was honored to be father of the bride!), but I'm thinking I can get back into lessons and regularly playing before the season ends.

The trick for me is to groove my driver swing. My distance and control felt so good today. That was from reviewing the lessons I had earlier this year. By reading the book, I think I played smarter with my driver on the course. I was actually being too conservative, I think. While I don't look back at today and say "wow, I hit great," I still shot an 84, with tons of shots that I feel like I left out there. I put too many approaches into bunkers (usually pulled left), I flubbed one driver right that took a crazy bounce to land in the root of a tree. But overall, I hit shots where I expected, accounting for my typical short/right miss. I played smart and stayed out of trouble and except for the first hole, I had easy two-putts. A stress-free 84 ain't bad, and with a few breaks, I think I've still got a shot! Hope is eternal eh? I'll catch you guys before the year is out!

My Swing

Driver: :ping: G30, Irons: :tmade: Burner 2.0, Putter: :cleveland:, Balls: :snell:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Another one yesterday, 79, at a different course than the prior two. Granted, it was an easier course. Par 72, 6450 yards, 70 rating/114 slope. 13 pars, 3 bogeys, 2 doubles. Would have been better, but I was pretty shaky the 3 final holes because I knew I had a shot at 75 if I par'd out. I had a par and two doubles... Let the excitement get the best of me. I'm hoping now that I've done it a few times, the pressure is off a little bit and I'll be able to pull it off on a semi-regular basis by just having more confidence. Randall - that's great, especially since it sounds like you haven't been able to put much time into the game. Hopefully you'll find a little more time to play and break into the 70's soon.

Thanks. It felt nice to get another, I just don't know why I'm all over the place... I've been everywhere from the two scores in the 70's, to scores in the 90's over the past year. It's probably the focus thing, have my good days and bad. Btw, just saw I missed your question about my daughter's golf. We've been to the range a few times, and to the Par 3 once. I ask her every weekend if she wants to go, but she chooses going to the pool with Mom over golf 90% of the time. No worries though, not going to try to force it. Sounds like you've had quite a few rounds in the 70's... That's great. What is your typical scoring range? High 70's to mid-80's? What seems to be working out for you?

High 70's to 85 is currently my zone. I'm hoping to shoot a 75 by the end of the year. Knowing my numbers on all shots has made a huge difference. I've practiced so much that I have every yardage in my game from 4 steps to 270 yards. I've created a chip shot that is the same motion with my 60, 56, 52, PW, 9i, and I know exactly how far each will go. I have 3 shots with all my scoring irons, full, arm level to the ground, and choke up level to the ground. I have pitch shot numbers on my wedges that sit and stop on the green. I know my punch shot numbers from a 7i to 3wood. Your last round of 79 sounds so familiar. I do everything possible to focus on each hole as a separate hole instead of a round of 18. When I can do that, I get low scores. When I fire a 37 on the front and start thinking about shooting another 37 for a 74, it goes down hill. Walked 9 today. 41. 4 pars, 5 bogeys. The muscle around my left shoulder blade is bothering me. I guess I need to take a few weeks off. Boomer!

• 3 weeks later...

I shot a 76 last week, my first time ever shooting under 80. My previous lowest score was 82 strokes on that same course so I was a bit suprised at myself keeping it together towards the end. I was even chasing after the 75 but bogeyed the last hole.. A par 71 course at 63.500 yards, 3 bogeys and 6 pars for a 39 on the front nine, which I followed with 4 bogeys, 3 pars and 2 birdies to close out the back 9 with a 37.

This has been my goal for the last 2 seasons, so I'm super stoked and can't wait to get out on the course next time!

Driver: Ping i15, 3 Wood: Ping i15, Irons: Mizuno MP-53, Wedges: Mizuno MP T-11, Cleveland CG15, Putter: Ping iN Anser V2

• 4 months later...
Hey a web site for us: breakingeighty .com/about

I bookmarked this on my phone. Thanks for posting.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

This looks like a nice course to play someday?

http://breakingeighty.com/carnoustie-golf-links

Here are two pros/experts playing it:

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Do you have fun just playing for score? I don't enjoy golf unless I have some money on the line or am playing a tournament. Medal play golf is brutal. Enter a tournament and see.

Well one thing for sure, I would want at least 13 strokes playing against you. :-D

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

• 4 weeks later...

I shot a 76 last week, my first time ever shooting under 80. My previous lowest score was 82 strokes on that same course so I was a bit suprised at myself keeping it together towards the end. I was even chasing after the 75 but bogeyed the last hole.. A par 71 course at 63.500 yards, 3 bogeys and 6 pars for a 39 on the front nine, which I followed with 4 bogeys, 3 pars and 2 birdies to close out the back 9 with a 37.

This has been my goal for the last 2 seasons, so I'm super stoked and can't wait to get out on the course next time!

63,500 yards! I'm impressed!

63,500 yards! I'm impressed!

Finally, a course fit for all the Internet Driving Distance Guys.

Dom's Sticks:

Callaway X-24 10.5° Driver, Callaway Big Bertha 15° wood, Callaway XR 19° hybrid, Callaway X-24 24° hybrid, Callaway X-24 5i-9i, PING Glide PW 47°/12°, Cleveland REG 588 52°/08°, Callaway Mack Daddy PM Grind 56°/13°, 60°/10°, Odyssey Versa Jailbird putter w/SuperStroke Slim 3.0 grip, Callaway Chev Stand Bag, Titleist Pro-V1x ball

[QUOTE name="The Recreational Golfer" url="/t/69585/my-journey-to-breaking-80/108#post_1104979"]   63,500 yards! I'm impressed! [/QUOTE] Finally, a course fit for all the Internet Driving Distance Guys.

2700 yard drives?

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

2700 yard drives?

I mean, if they're trying to baby a 3-wood.

Dom's Sticks:

Callaway X-24 10.5° Driver, Callaway Big Bertha 15° wood, Callaway XR 19° hybrid, Callaway X-24 24° hybrid, Callaway X-24 5i-9i, PING Glide PW 47°/12°, Cleveland REG 588 52°/08°, Callaway Mack Daddy PM Grind 56°/13°, 60°/10°, Odyssey Versa Jailbird putter w/SuperStroke Slim 3.0 grip, Callaway Chev Stand Bag, Titleist Pro-V1x ball

Note: This thread is 3302 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!