IGNORED

A Draw swing

swalker
Note: This thread is 3884 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by Kujan

Is employing a strong grip the best way to close the face relative to the swing path and as a result draw the ball?

No but it can help the swing path be more in to out or as we call it, OUTward.  More below.

Originally Posted by Kujan

Just testing this theory out shows that by strengthening the grip I move the ball position back and as a result strike the ball more in-to-out.

From the grip thread:

"Executive Summary: A stronger grip often results in a clubface that's more rightward pointing (and a more OUTward swing direction), while a weaker grip often results in a clubface that's more leftward pointing (and a more INward swing direction) due largely to the compensations necessary (largely in the third accumulator) to not hit horrible shots like pull-hooks and push-slices."

For more

http://thesandtrap.com/t/68312/grip-strength-opposites-and-compensations-video

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I wouldn't recommend playing a long iron in the back of your stance, unless you're trying to hit a big draw around a tree.  The ball didn't pull when you opened the face because it helped the face be less left at impact.  Again, ball starts where the face is aimed and curves away from the path. If the path is further out than the face, then the ball will draw.  So if it was a straight shot, the face came pretty close to matching the path. It's going right because the face is right, be careful over-estimating things.

It also goes right because it is back in his stance, he is sacrificing height and power

Originally Posted by nick1998bunker

It also goes right because it is back in his stance, he is sacrificing height and power

Like I said I think you're over estimating the effect of a couple more degrees of down will have on the start line.

Mike McLoughlin

Like I said I think you're over estimating the effect of a couple more degrees of down will have on the start line.

It's not necessarily the down it is that a flat swing plane, if not caught at bottom of ark(which he might have altered his swing so it is), will go right as it is coming down, his swing path at impact will be more to the right then it is at the bottom of the arc

It's not necessarily the down it is that a flat swing plane, if not caught at bottom of ark(which he might have altered his swing so it is), will go right as it is coming down, his swing path at impact will be more to the right then it is at the bottom of the arc

Exactly path, not face. Face is what gives most of start line.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

path gives most of the start and face decides what happens from there

Sorry, that's just not true: http://thesandtrap.com/b/playing_tips/ball_flight_laws And: [VIDEO]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eEHiY5iv5u4[/VIDEO]

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

You have it exactly backwards. Face determines starting direction. Path determines where it goes from there.

Yeah take some time looking at the links people provided.  You mentioned D-Plane earlier, here's a quickie video, covers about 80% of what there is to know about the D-Plane.

Mike McLoughlin

Yeah take some time looking at the links people provided.  You mentioned D-Plane earlier, here's a quickie video, covers about 80% of what there is to know about the D-Plane.

ive been "banned" from the sandtrap but ill respond anyway...im confused how that disproves my point, that's what I was trying to say, the farther back in your stance the more right it is going to go thus a more right swing path, then from that line if the face is closed it will draw and if open it will cut(face will affect the initial direction but not entirely)?

• Administrator

ive been "banned" from the sandtrap but ill respond anyway...

Uhm, no you haven't. Absolutely nothing has happened to you except two or three requests that you use multi-quote appropriately rather than responding in two, three, or four or more separate posts. If you were banned, how could you post?

Now, back to the topic…

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

im confused how that disproves my point, that's what I was trying to say, the farther back in your stance the more right it is going to go thus a more right swing path, then from that line if the face is closed it will draw and if open it will cut(face will affect the initial direction but not entirely)?

Face accounts for about 75-90% of initial start line, depending on the club.  So for a draw face should be aimed RIGHT of the target, closed to the path.  Quick example, face 2* right of target, path 4* right.  A few degrees more rightward path won't push the ball that much more to the right.

Mike McLoughlin

Uhm, no you haven't. Absolutely nothing has happened to you except two or three requests that you use multi-quote appropriately rather than responding in two, three, or four or more separate posts. If you were banned, how could you post? d2_doh.gif Now, back to the topic…

Alright sorry... [quote name="mvmac" url="/t/69657/a-draw-swing/30#post_891641"] Face accounts for about 75-90% of initial start line, depending on the club.  So for a draw face should be aimed RIGHT of the target, closed to the path.  Quick example, face 2* right of target, path 4* right.  A few degrees more rightward path won't push the ball that much more to the right. [/quote]well you Learn something new everyday!

Alright sorry... well you Learn something new everyday!

There are PGA professionals and instructors who still haven't learned this. It's been an eye opener to a lot of people.

There are PGA professionals and instructors who still haven't learned this. It's been an eye opener to a lot of people.

is that was what tiger was talking about when Martin hall asked him what was different now then 10 years ago and he said trackman

well you Learn something new everyday!

Thanks for being open to learning new info.  That's why Erik and I share so much information, it's fun, golfers benefit from it and it's based on facts, not opinions.

Mike McLoughlin

W[quote name="mvmac" url="/t/69657/a-draw-swing/30#post_891670"] Thanks for being open to learning new info.  That's why Erik and I share so much information, it's fun, golfers benefit from it and it's based on facts, not opinions. [/quote]well your doing great... I'm trying to learn all I can, so 2 questions, does less loft make the face affect it more? And how much face angle to the right do you want according to the club path to start on the club path and draw back? Or is that impossibly and you just want to aim more right

W

well your doing great... I'm trying to learn all I can, so 2 questions, does less loft make the face affect it more? And how much face angle to the right do you want according to the club path to start on the club path and draw back? Or is that impossibly and you just want to aim more right

Thanks appreciate it.  Yes the amount of loft effects how much the face contributes to start line, again in that 85-75% range (except for putters and some wedge shots).  In figuring out how much to aim right, you basically just try to aim where you want the ball to start.  So let's say for a 7 iron shot, you aim the face 5 yards right of the flag to accommodate for a 3-5 yard draw.  If the ball starts where you want it to and over draws(left of the flag), then you had too much path, if it was a straight push, the path and face were about equal.

I recommend you take a look at this

http://thesandtrap.com/b/playing_tips/ball_flight_laws

http://www.trackman.dk/download/UserConfEU11/Ball%20Flight%20Laws%20I.pdf

Mike McLoughlin

Note: This thread is 3884 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!