IGNORED

PGA Championship Thread!

Puttin4Bird
Note: This thread is 6102 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

For what it's worth I can't have Tiger on my mind as a selection this week. As I'm sure has been said elsewhere, Southern Hills isn't overly long, but you want a guy who can shape the ball, and hit v accurate irons off the tee/into the greens. Woods putted very well over here at Carnoustie, just in order to stay in the top dozen. But last week not so good, despite his 8 shot win. I just don't see that Southern Hills "fits his eye" - Tiger's description of Firestone.

Despite indifferent form in recent weeks, I like David Toms to make a run at his favoutite major. Also think that Luke Donald might prove best of our Europeans. Won't get out-muscled like on some long tracks. And Sergio Garcia has the game to suit - just wonder that he's not really going to get over the disappointment of losing the Open just yet.

Have great fun watching, and good luck with all your selections.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The more I think about it the more I like a guy like David Toms. Played well in the Masters and US Open and the conditions should be similar. I still like Tiger as the heavy favorite but I wouldn't be surprised if Toms, Zach Johnson or a healthy Jim Furyk won. I'll have to downgrade Furyk though after hearing he's still having back problems.

1. Tiger
2. Vijay
3. Johnson
4. Rose
5. Toms
6. Harrington
7. Choi
8. DiMarco
9. Mahan
10. Casey
tie Garcia

Driver: 09 Launcher 10.5
4 Wood: 09 Launcher Steel 17
Hybrid: Baffler DWS 20 Aldila Reg
Irons: AP1 4-GW Steel
Wedges: 588 Gunmetal 56 & 60Putter: Studio Style Newport 2Ball: NXT Tour

• Administrator
For what it's worth I can't have Tiger on my mind as a selection this week. As I'm sure has been said elsewhere, Southern Hills isn't overly long, but you want a guy who can shape the ball, and hit v accurate irons off the tee/into the greens. Woods putted very well over here at Carnoustie, just in order to stay in the top dozen. But last week not so good, despite his 8 shot win. I just don't see that Southern Hills "fits his eye" - Tiger's description of Firestone.

I'm not sure Medinah necessarily fits Tiger's eyes, either, and since most of the doglegs are out about where his 5W or 2I go, I think he could employ a very Medinah-like or Hoylake-like strategy.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

What does every think of a match up between Justin Leonard and Colin Montgomerie?

This seems like a slam dunk to me.

Justin has been playng good finishing T9 at the Bridgestone and T2 at the Buick a few weeks back. He is playing 4 hours away from his home and always good in Texas. He is in good shape.

Colin will melt in the Oklahoma heat. His last three tournaments he has finished T41, T71, T71.

Any thoughts?

winner: Jim Furyk

dark horses: Davis Love III or Kenny Perry

Possibilities: Luke Donald & Stewart Cink

just my opinions though

I'm not sure Medinah necessarily fits Tiger's eyes, either, and since most of the doglegs are out about where his 5W or 2I go, I think he could employ a very Medinah-like or Hoylake-like strategy.

You know, Hoylake is a great example of how Tiger can beat the rest of the field in numerous different ways. Garcia drove the ball like a god that week, while Woods gave up up to 80 yards off the tee, and was constantly hitting long irons for his second shot where Garcia and the rest were hitting mid/short irons. We all know he did it brilliantly. He IS a tremendous strategist.

At Carnoustie this year his iron play was very inconsistent, while the putter kept him in it. Last week I thought it was a little bit the other way round. I suppose the other way of looking at Southern Hills is that guys like Toms, Weir, Di Marco and Donald are playing unsuitable courses every time they get to a major layout that's 7,600 yards. There are gonna be a lot of players this week thinking "this is really a course I can win on." My guess is that we'll know a lot in about 12 hours time ! Enjoy

At Carnoustie this year his iron play was very inconsistent, while the putter kept him in it. Last week I thought it was a little bit the other way round.

So are you saying that Tiger hit his irons better and didn't putt well at Firestone? Maybe it's just me that sees this and please correct me if I am wrong. Tiger hasn't been very consistent at all this year. He has, however, been consistent enough to earn a few W's here and there. If he can carryover that round he had Sunday at Firestone then Tiger is going to run away with this tournament. Hands down. I don't think he will completely carry it to this tournament, but I won't be surprised to see him shoot something stupid low in one of these rounds. Hell, he made 100% of his putts inside of 10 ft this past week. Whether they are birdie putts or par putts, we all know that those <10 ft putts are crucial in a major.

Driver: 905R 9.5*
3-wood: 906F 13*
Irons: Forged Blades
Wedges: Black Satin SV Tour 52* , 56*, 60*
Putter: FuturaBall: ProV1x or One Platinum---------------------------------------------------------My 2008 Tournament Qualifiers:Tennessee State Match Play - Qualified - July...

PGA typically has the deepest field of any tourney because there are no amateurs.

I think you are overstating things a bit. I suppose you can argue that the PGA has the strongest field of any "Major" because amateurs aren't invited, but the The Players is generally regarded as attracting the strongest field of any "tourney".

My pick this year is Justin Rose. He's extremely talented and I think he is due for a breakthrough win.

Driver: Launcher, 10.5°
Fairway: Big Bertha 2007, 15° & 18°
Hybrid: Rapture, 21° & 24°
Irons: Big Bertha 2006, 5 - PW
Wedges: Vokey, 52° & 56°Putter: White Hot XG, Rossie Ball: HX HotI'm not saying my golf game went bad, but if I grew tomatoes, they'd come up sliced. ~ Lee Trevino

First of all, thanks to FIJI and IACAS for taking the time to reply to the thoughts of a new member. Have grown exasparated by some forums in Britain where only the views of a small cabal count, and you can be put down in very short order.

I suppose I should say that I like to have a little money on the line when it comes to the Majors, and my comments on Tiger Woods should be viewed in that light. He is 2/1 with British odds makers, with the next best at 20/1 !

But aside from any thoughts about whether or not he represents value as an investment, I can't get away from the actual golf course. The last three USPGAs to be played on par 70 tracks (Atlanta 2001, Oak Hill 2003, Baltusrol 2005) haven't proved to be happy hunting grounds for our man. Many of the pros this week have likened Southern Hills to a hilly version of Colonial - a tournament which hasn't featured on Tiger's itinerary since 1997 ! I know Firestone is also par 70, but as I alluded to in my original post, if Woods could roll one course up and take it round the world with him, Akron would probably finish a close second to St Andrews.

I'm really not saying he can't win. I just expect him not to. But hey, the phenom tees off in half an hour, and I'll enjoy following his fortunes as much as the next man (or woman). Let the sports commence !

• Administrator

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

does anyone know if they're passing the pga championship on tv before 2PM when it goes on TNT? 2PM seems too late, people have already teed off, why are they airing it so late?

In my Essex Stand Bag:
3 Wood: F/Speed - Aldila S Graphite Shaft
Hybrid: Halo 3i 22° - R Graphite Shaft
Wedges: Glass Bead - Lob Wedge - 60°Putter: Tour Collection MX400 (LOVE IT!)Ball: HX-Tour 56 - Pro-V1XHome Courses: Stone Mountain Golf Course (73.5/134)

How long will it be until the clock is 2PM in ET in the states?

I have made one hole in one this far. While you are reading this, I am most likely out on the tee trying to sink another one

about 3:15 hours

In my Essex Stand Bag:
3 Wood: F/Speed - Aldila S Graphite Shaft
Hybrid: Halo 3i 22° - R Graphite Shaft
Wedges: Glass Bead - Lob Wedge - 60°Putter: Tour Collection MX400 (LOVE IT!)Ball: HX-Tour 56 - Pro-V1XHome Courses: Stone Mountain Golf Course (73.5/134)

Don't count Ernie out of this one. Don't think he'll win, but could likely be in the top 10. Got to watch him for a few holes yesterday and he played 12 through 16 better than anyone else I saw.
Driver X460 10°
Hybrid HiBore 2H 19°
Irons 845s 3-PW
Wedges Spin-Milled Vokey Oil Can 56°
Putter Rossie 2Ball NXT Tour

• Administrator
Does this link work for anyone?

http://www.sportsline.com/golf/pgach...dmh=dm4.221477

I got an email saying it would show video now. Give it a try.

Works for me, it looks like the same coverage they have on PGA.com. I love that they have started doing these webcasts for all majors and other big events. I'm sure my boss might have a different opinion, but I like it.
"You lick the lollipop of mediocrity once and you'll suck forever."

HiBORE XLS 9.5* Fujikura Fit On (Gold) (s) shaft | HiBORE XLS 15* 3w Fujikura Fit On (Gold) (s) shaft | 585h 21* | MP 57 4-pw w/Dynamic Gold s-300 shaft | 53* 56* Rac Chrome 60* Rac Satin | Monza Corza DB 35" | Tour ix
Home...

Does this link work for anyone?

Working for me on my tiny little window I have in the bottom right of my computer screen here at work.

I wish I could just kick back and watch it all afternoon at my desk.

Driver: 905R 9.5*
3-wood: 906F 13*
Irons: Forged Blades
Wedges: Black Satin SV Tour 52* , 56*, 60*
Putter: FuturaBall: ProV1x or One Platinum---------------------------------------------------------My 2008 Tournament Qualifiers:Tennessee State Match Play - Qualified - July...

Note: This thread is 6102 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!