IGNORED

2 Iron vs Hybrid

Note: This thread is 3845 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I've been looking at a club in between my 4 iron and 3 wood, and determined it will either be a 19* 3 iron bent to 18* or a 19* hybrid. I hit the ball pretty high and am a pretty good long iron player, and I'm just curious as to in your personal experience whether a hybrid is worth the extra 100 dollars. I would go hit them but it's hard to find a 3 iron (rocketbladez tour) and a hybrid (913h) in left handed to demo.

FT Optiforce 440 Diamana S+, Nike covert tour Kuro Kage, Mizuno MP54 4-PW, Vokey SM5 52 56 60, Odyssey White Ice #2

I just replaced my 3-iron with a 910h 19 deg hybrid.  So far I love it.  Let's face it...even if you are a good long iron player...hitting 3-irons out of varied lies is not easy.  I think the hybrid plays easier out of the rough and off a tee.  I do not hit the ball particularly high...so controlling the roll on a 3-iron isn't easy.  The hybrid definitely lands a bit softer.

Off a tee I'm getting something like 225yds and off the ground somewhere around 215-220.

I wouldn't call the 910 / 913 particularly forgiving...but the club communicates the quality of your strike very nicely and the feel is excellent.

Best of luck...

Titleist 910D3 - 9.5°- Ahina Stiff
Taylormade Burner 2.0 3Wood - Proforce V2 Stiff

Taylormade Burner 5W - Proforce V2 Stiff
910D 21° 3h - Ahina Stiff

Titleist 712 AP2 - KBS Tour
Titleist Vokey - 52* & 56*

Odyssey White Hot #1 XG

X's or B330's

I just replaced my 3-iron with a 910h 19 deg hybrid.  So far I love it.  Let's face it...even if you are a good long iron player...hitting 3-irons out of varied lies is not easy.  I think the hybrid plays easier out of the rough and off a tee.  I do not hit the ball particularly high...so controlling the roll on a 3-iron isn't easy.  The hybrid definitely lands a bit softer.

Off a tee I'm getting something like 225yds and off the ground somewhere around 215-220.

I wouldn't call the 910 / 913 particularly forgiving...but the club communicates the quality of your strike very nicely and the feel is excellent.

Best of luck...

Thank you. I'll keep that in mind.

FT Optiforce 440 Diamana S+, Nike covert tour Kuro Kage, Mizuno MP54 4-PW, Vokey SM5 52 56 60, Odyssey White Ice #2

Go for the hybrid. So much easier to hit, and the versatility will help since you don't already have one in your bag.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

If you don't want a club that you can hit easier, further, higher, and land softer, stick with the iron. ;-)

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Off a tee, I prefer my 2 iron.  It's just easier for me to hit something relatively long and low and in play.  But, off the ground, forget it; my 3 hybrid is so much easier.  Plus, it's nice to have the hybrid to hit out of some of the heavier rough.  Everything considered, the hybrid is what stays in the bag.  No need to buy a new hybrid.  something 5 years old works great and there are a bunch of them out there

If you like long irons, but want something that launches higher, try an Adams Idea Pro. It has a very compact head and plays like an iron but with a higher MOI face an lower COG. They come in 18* and 20*. It's also the only hybrid I've owned that doesn't tend to snap hook 1/5 shots.

Kevin

Titleist 910 D3 9.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Titleist 910F 13.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Adams Idea A12 Pro hybrid 18*; 23* with RIP S flex
Titleist 712 AP2 4-9 iron with KBS C-Taper, S+ flex
Titleist Vokey SM wedges 48*, 52*, 58*
Odyssey White Hot 2-ball mallet, center shaft, 34"

2-iron for me. I can't get used to the typical hybrids and if I have a miss with a hybrid, it's usually a snap hook - nasty. To the OP: You could also look at things such as Mizuno's MP-H4s (or older Fli-His) or Titleists 712u if you don't want a 'pure' 2-iron but prefer the look to a 'typical' hybrid.

Home Course: Wollaton Park GC, Nottingham, U.K.

Ping G400, 9°, Alta CB 55S | Ping G400, 14°, Alta CB 65S | Adams Pro Dhy 18°, 21°, 24°, KBS Hybrid S | Ping S55 5-PW, TT DGS300 | Vokey 252-08, DGS200 | Vokey 256-10 (bent to 58°), DGS200 | Ping Sigma G Anser, 34" | Vice Pro Plus

As far as lefty 2-irons, I only found a couple:

• Raxr X Muscleback | 18* loft, $125 stock
  • Titleist Forged Utility iron, 712U | 18* loft, $140

Also, Cleveland has three models offering left-handed sets. All feature 3-irons with 19* loft: MT, TT, and Altutude.

Mizuno has some 2 irons, but none for lefties. Also, the Callaway X.Proto Utility irons offer no left-handed clubs.

If you could catch a rare, tour van demo day for Callaway or Titleist, you could probably test-hit the left-handed model.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Note: This thread is 3845 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!