IGNORED

PGA Tour World Invasion

Keith White
Note: This thread is 3843 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Ok Folks, so how do you feel about the growing number of internationals pitching up in the USA and playing the tour?  Do you welcome the characters being in the mix or does it bug you ? Should the Euros be in Europe or is it the more the merrier from the American point of view?

Personally I am split, I watch a lot of the PGA Tour and enjoy seeing some of my favourites on the evening TV (time difference is cool for UK watching) but there are some fantastic courses and tournaments across Europe that suffer with the loss of Westwood, Rose, Garcia, etc  etc so my mood is split and I fear for the long term value of the European Tour.  While we try to extend the golf to a wider world audience the second biggest tour is losing out, but watching those guys in America against your great players is so enjoyable.

Two sides to the coin for me, your thoughts if you please Ladies n Gents

Driver - Cleveland Launcher XL270
3 Wood - Cleveland Launcher HT FL3W
Hybrid - Adams A12OS 4h
Irons -  Mizuno MP54 5i - Pitch
Wedges - Cleveland 588 Rotex
Putter - Rife Mr Beasley
Remember, P23 - V4 !!

The game is global and if players are eligible they can play where they like.

It's not a case of "your tour" or "their tour" or "their players" or "our players"

Both tours have different characteristics.

European players often prefer to play in Europe because they are in more interesting and varied places.

But I know what you mean - I watch a lot of the European Tour events and they seem to lack atmosphere, but at least you can watch the golf and listen to decent commentary rather than hearing idiots yelling out every single shot.

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

Quality reply, PGA must eject the idiots, getting worse each year and reflects bad on USA fans via world TV.  Good point regards the global game too. And your right about the atmosphere, but how many more fans would travel to the Spanish Open and buy tickets if the favourites were Rory, GMac, Rose, and Kaymer etc.  I guess as you say it's global and they must play where they wish, but Europe needs its stars. To be honest being completely selfish, I wouldn't see them so much if they were in Europe so it suits me watching them over the pond with a beer in the evening.

Hybrid - Adams A12OS 4h
Putter - Rife Mr Beasley
Remember, P23 - V4 !!

The economic crisis in Europe has played a large part, with the Tour there losing many events which results

in less sponsorship money for those tourneys they still have.

I love the Euro Tour too for it's knowledgeable AND respectful fans.

• Administrator

I like it when they play on the PGA Tour because then I get to watch them.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I like to see the best players in the world compete against each other. That is on the PGA Tour.   And that's what most of the top players around the world are doing.  They know where the money is, the top competition, the endorsements.

Look at the "invasion" of baseball by players from Asia and Latin America. It has been good for Major League Baseball, if not so good for the Japanese league.  Same with the NBA with all the European stars. Conversely, would soccer players in the US be satisfied playing Major Soccer League in the US if they had a chance for the big bucks in the Premier League?

There should never be a limit. If they can compete and win, they should be allowed to play here.

I like to watch the best players regardless of their country of origin.  I will catch the Euro or Asia tour events occasionally.  They are quality golf too.  Many of the top world players have homes in the US, so they must like it as well.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

The economic crisis in Europe has played a large part, with the Tour there losing many events which results

in less sponsorship money for those tourneys they still have.

I love the Euro Tour too for it's knowledgeable AND respectful fans.

If the stars are there the sponsors will pay the bucks.  USA has had its economic struggles but your tour has flourished, and despite the economic problems in Europe, the UK and spanish premier soccer leagues continue to grow because they have the stars, the world wants to watch and the sponsors queue up to get a slice.

This is not a complaint on my part, Westwood moved across the pond for the better weather and the chance to practice more and be a stronger competitor, and who could blame him. I love the fact that USA golf fans enjoy the internationals on your tour, and many of my favourites are American player. You cant argue its the best golf on earth !  I just hope the European tour stays up there and hold its own.  There are signs its struggling.

Hybrid - Adams A12OS 4h
Putter - Rife Mr Beasley
Remember, P23 - V4 !!

I don't mind europeans playing on tour.  That being said I would still prefer to see an American win the tournament the same way I want to see USA win medals at the Olympics.  But there are several Euros who I like to see on TV on Tour.  Westwood being one of them (although let's be real he's practically an american anyway I mean he lives year round in Florida)

Callaway XR 9.5 + 1, Taylormade R15 3 Wood, Burner 3 Rescue, Callaway XHot 5H, Warbird 4H, Nike Vapor Fly 6-AW Irons, Titleist Vokey 54, 60 Wedges, Taylormade Rossa Fontana Putter, Srixon Z-Star Tour Yellow.

Best Score 2017:  82 (Traditions at the Glen, Par 70)

Favorite Course - Conklin Players Club (Par 72) - Best Score 86

It would be great if you could have the best of the best playing both tours, but obviously that's not possible. If the best Euros stay home then it weakens the field for the American events thus making them less interesting. I wouldn't mind seeing more (Americans) among the world's best traveling overseas for big Euro events, but with the FedEx Cup system that's less likely to happen.

Kevin

Titleist 910 D3 9.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Titleist 910F 13.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Adams Idea A12 Pro hybrid 18*; 23* with RIP S flex
Titleist 712 AP2 4-9 iron with KBS C-Taper, S+ flex
Titleist Vokey SM wedges 48*, 52*, 58*
Odyssey White Hot 2-ball mallet, center shaft, 34"

If the stars are there the sponsors will pay the bucks.  USA has had its economic struggles but your tour has flourished, and despite the economic problems in Europe, the UK and spanish premier soccer leagues continue to grow because they have the stars, the world wants to watch and the sponsors queue up to get a slice.

The Spanish league is far from financially sound. There are two super rich teams, a couple that are doing okay and a bunch that are struggling to stay afloat. The issue being that Barca and Madrid can sell their own TV rights for bundles of cash, the TV companies will then only pay peanuts for the rest. The English league is better as they have a collective agreement for TV rights (which the big clubs want to ditch) but there are still teams really struggling.

As a Euro the ability for European layers to play in the US is a huge improvement from the 80's when Seve, Faldo & Lyle were struggling to get into some of the US Majors.

The only downside for me is that the majors have lost some of their wow factor, they used to be the events where you got the best players together. Now there is the 4 majors, 3 WGC events in the US, the Players plus the Fedex events which have the majority of the top 50 players in them.

Finchem would like for there to be one Tour that he oversees so I'm sure he's encouraging every international player to join the PGA Tour.

Unfortunately we miss out on many of the top international players here in the US unless it's a larger tournament that warrants the trip over for them.  I also enjoy seeing the international courses as it's a different style of play than we see on many of the US courses.

I see some logistical issues in that the PGA Tour already has a full schedule but maybe they could work out the schedule so that one tournament a month was outside the US.

Joe Paradiso

Note: This thread is 3843 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!