IGNORED

Anyone Crossfit? Good or Bad for Your Golf Game?

AveoBigandTall
Note: This thread is 2419 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

9 members have voted

1. 1. Is Crossfit good or bad for your golf game

• Great for your game
    • Only if you bulk up to much
    • What in the world is crossfit
    • Absolutely - i have been looking for a new and credible answer for my scores as of late
    • 100% Bad - dont touch it

3 minutes ago, Alx said:

Honestly I think there are better options.

The problems with crossfit are pretty obvious. Even with weights relative to strength going to exhaustion especially with lifts that require coordination is a recipe for disaster.

Generally speaking when ever you're trying to do something fast the potential for injury is quite high. The concept of circuit training is nothing new and sure it can be done in a good way. Overhead lifts and olympic weightlifting are not the sort of things you want to be doing for reps to exhaustion... Or kipping pullups literally tearing your shoulders apart.

Crossfit isn't very effective either. The cf games popularized the workouts but thats not how you actually train to do well in those workouts. There's a more effective way to reach any goal than doing crossfit. It's basically a tester not a builder.

You can find a lot of discussion on strength/bb forums if you're interested in doing some reading.

I do not disagree with this. A good gym is going to teach you to go at your own pace. I know when I was hitting the workouts in the class, I never went to exhaustion. This was mainly from my experience in years of lifting and learning what you just stated...especially about the Olympic style lifts with high reps. I also never did the kipping pullups. But I will say that if you are attending a "good" cross fit gym, you can do your workouts however you want to do your workouts. The only thing you are trying to improve on is your previous time no matter how many reps you are doing.

My advice on this subject is just what I plan on doing in my future workouts. I will be lifting the traditional style lifting, but will be adding in cross fit workouts as a way to increase my cardio. I honestly think crossfit (for me) works better as a supplement to my normal lifting.

Don't be fooled by the crossfitters you see at the games. Most of these people were good athletes before starting crossfit.

Bryan A
"Your desire to change must be greater than your desire to stay the same"

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

On 5/8/2017 at 1:46 PM, Alx said:

Honestly I think there are better options.

The problems with crossfit are pretty obvious. Even with weights relative to strength going to exhaustion especially with lifts that require coordination is a recipe for disaster.

Generally speaking when ever you're trying to do something fast the potential for injury is quite high. The concept of circuit training is nothing new and sure it can be done in a good way. Overhead lifts and olympic weightlifting are not the sort of things you want to be doing for reps to exhaustion... Or kipping pullups literally tearing your shoulders apart.

Crossfit isn't very effective either. The cf games popularized the workouts but thats not how you actually train to do well in those workouts. There's a more effective way to reach any goal than doing crossfit. It's basically a tester not a builder.

You can find a lot of discussion on strength/bb forums if you're interested in doing some reading.

I think you make some good points.  A specific golf workout targeting my weaknesses with say a TPI instructor will do me better at golf than Crossfit.  

I have read a lot about the pros and cons of CrossFit, and my goal will never to be an elite CF Games contestant, so I am not worried about the games aspect of CF.

...but I would say that I was never told the right techniques at my old gym on any lifts, so I would argue that I am safer now that the instructors are showing me proper positions with minimal weight to get me started lifting.  Plus I think the best part of CF is the ability to scale it to your level.  I have only done the lifts with a barbell and no weights, and I probably will be doing that for another 2 months since I out of shape.

I would disagree that Crossfit isn't effective.  I would actually say its one of the most effective/efficient workouts around.  In 25 minutes I am getting a way better workout than I would with a week's worth at my old gym, but I would say that the best workout is one that you enjoy and gets you stay active and that is what CF has done for me.

In the end, I know the risks with Crossfit, and I know the importance of scaling and I really love the community and the instructors, so I think it is a perfect fit for me.  The fact that it will potentially help the golf game is a bonus.  My goal is make the gym a part of my routine as I try to get back into good health.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, shakogolfer78 said:

I think you make some good points.  A specific golf workout targeting my weaknesses with say a TPI instructor will do me better at golf than Crossfit.  

I have read a lot about the pros and cons of CrossFit, and my goal will never to be an elite CF Games contestant, so I am not worried about the games aspect of CF.

...but I would say that I was never told the right techniques at my old gym on any lifts, so I would argue that I am safer now that the instructors are showing me proper positions with minimal weight to get me started lifting.  Plus I think the best part of CF is the ability to scale it to your level.  I have only done the lifts with a barbell and no weights, and I probably will be doing that for another 2 months since I out of shape.

I would disagree that Crossfit isn't effective.  I would actually say its one of the most effective/efficient workouts around.  In 25 minutes I am getting a way better workout than I would with a week's worth at my old gym, but I would say that the best workout is one that you enjoy and gets you stay active and that is what CF has done for me.

In the end, I know the risks with Crossfit, and I know the importance of scaling and I really love the community and the instructors, so I think it is a perfect fit for me.  The fact that it will potentially help the golf game is a bonus.  My goal is make the gym a part of my routine as I try to get back into good health.

I agree, crossfit can be very effective, like many other types of training.  Good form is important, as well as cycling the sessions appropriately, regardless of the type of training.

As a former college football player I spent a bit of time in the gym, and never once injured myself (in the gym).  I'm not saying people can't get injured, but it typically has more to do with improper form, and not conditioning the body properly to start handling the heavier loads.

Being a better overall athlete will help in any sport, golf included.  If you want to be a better athlete, train like one.  Ground based, multi-plane movements are the best.  And add in the additional rotational work for sports such as golf.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been doing Cross fit since 2006.  Back then our gym was just an athletic training facility.  Trained college teams, sport specific training etc...  When Cross fit became the rage a few years ago we did hybrid classes and now our gym is Cross fit but still mixes in athletic training.

It's called Crossfit Ares in Massachusetts.

I love it....Being there over 10 years is proof.  I was never good at working out on my own so the small classes, having an instructor plus the classmates make it fun and competitive.

Very good for my game... Why?...well I'm 55 and have not lost any yardage anywhere.  In fact I hit it further.  swing speed is at 115 mph.  No flexibility issues, core strength and over all strength is up.  I'm in better shape now than 20 years ago.  Who would have thought at 55 I'd be doing 36" box jumps on one leg...and I'm 5'5" 142 lbs.  I have no problem beating the 25 year olds in sprints, suicides, 3 cone agility...  Legless rope climbs, Donkey Kong rope climbs...I owe it all to the trainers.

Like anything, you have to be smart about training.  Shoulders and rotator cuffs, knees...just have to watch what I do for weight.  In Cross fit there is a prescribed men's and women's weight for the WOD.  Most times I go in the middle when picking a weight...sometimes the woman's weight does me fine.  Body weight exercises like pushups, pullhps I crush everyone.

I did some reading on cross fit and have to admit I have trouble keeping up with the latest fitness craze. In my opinion the best fitness program is the one that works for you. To get the results you are after you must not only believe in that program, but have a passion and a commitment to the process. After 30 years of weightlifting and every kind of fitness program imaginable then 20 years of power yoga, I can say with authority "listen to your body " find out what works for you and that may change in time.I love the idea of functional fitness and I am not at all sold on the idea that any kind of weightlifting fits into that category. I am now a strong believer in Dynamic strength, a strength that is build with connection. It does not help to have a strong core if you do not use it as part of an integration with the rest of the muscles supporting the movement you are attempting to improve

I did Crossfit for about a year with a co-worker.  We loved it but didn't dedicate as much into improving my diet as I did in working out.  Sadly I was doing one of the Open workouts and went WAY past where I should have on a workout and really hurt my lower back.  Also ended up getting a hernia (not really that big of a deal) and had to take a break.  I haven't gotten surgery for the hernia yet but plan to this winter and I might go back to Crossfit next year.

The instructor for my morning group ended up opening his own box.  He's a really solid guy and preached 'go at your own pace' religiously.  If you manage the weights you lift, the form for each workout and your own pace then you'll be fine and Crossfit can be very effective because it's really working on mostly 'everyday moves' that we do.  Where people have problems is when they go too fast, have bad form and/or try to lift way too much and they get injured.

Now, is Crossfit good for golf?  I think there are likely other golf-oriented workouts that might be a little better but, like I said, I think Crossfit develops core muscles that we utilize a lot in our regular daily activities.  So I always felt like my ability to play better on the course related to my endurance, which will improve as you do any work out regiment, but I saw myself doing regular daily stuff (i.e. work around the house, etc) much much easier while I was doing Crossfit.

Driver: Cobra FlyZ | 9.5 Degrees Draw | Fujikura Pro 63 Tour Spec
Fairway Wood: Cobra F7 3-4 Wood | 14.5 degrees | Fujikura Pro 65
Hybrid: Cobra F7 3-4H | 19 degrees | Fujikura Pro 75H
Irons: Srixon Z545 (4-Iron) | Srixon Z 765 (5-PW)
Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM6 | 50 F Grind | 54 M Grind | 58 K Grind
Putter: Odyssey O-Works 1W WBW

I don't know about it's benefit on one's Golf game, but as an orthopedic PA, Crossfit definitely helps to cover my mortgage

Driver: :callaway: Rogue ST  /  Woods: :tmade: Stealth 5W / Hybrid: :tmade: Stealth 25* / Irons: :ping: i500’s /  Wedges: :edel: 54*, 58*; Putter: :scotty_cameron: Futura 5  Ball: image.png Vero X1

-Jonny

26 minutes ago, woodzie264 said:

I don't know about it's benefit on one's Golf game, but as an orthopedic PA, Crossfit definitely helps to cover my mortgage

great  comment LOL

18 hours ago, JCrane said:

great  comment LOL

I guess like anything else you benefit from the idiots of Crossfit or just people going to the gym that, like one of the previous posters said " don't know their limitations".  We had a guy the other day, late 40's doing kettle bell swings as part of the WOD with. 50 lb. Bell.  It was a wod for time as well.  Didn't see him for the rest of the week.  His wife goes everyday and I asked her where he was and she said his back was hurting.  I said to her, what's he using a 50 lb for?  She shook her head.  I saw him the next week and asked how he was and I said to him, are u frigginq high using a 50?   He said yeah I know...

You have to think, you can hurt yourself doing crap around the house too if u don't use your head.

10 hours ago, Typhoon92 said:

I guess like anything else you benefit from the idiots of Crossfit or just people going to the gym that, like one of the previous posters said " don't know their limitations".  We had a guy the other day, late 40's doing kettle bell swings as part of the WOD with. 50 lb. Bell.  It was a wod for time as well.  Didn't see him for the rest of the week.  His wife goes everyday and I asked her where he was and she said his back was hurting.  I said to her, what's he using a 50 lb for?  She shook her head.  I saw him the next week and asked how he was and I said to him, are u frigginq high using a 50?   He said yeah I know...

You have to think, you can hurt yourself doing crap around the house too if u don't use your head.

thanks for sharing. As a former weightlifter myself, I really think the problem maybe chemical in men. The testosterone release can overcome our good sense and want us to follow the addiction to that feeling rather than to listen to our bodies. I have taught Yoga for many years and have seen the same things in my power Yoga classes. People trying to do things their bodies are not ready for or maybe it is just our fast food marketing  culture we live in. We want to have it right away. I am not sure. just some thoughts

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, JCrane said:

thanks for sharing. As a former weightlifter myself, I really think the problem maybe chemical in men. The testosterone release can overcome our good sense and want us to follow the addiction to that feeling rather than to listen to our bodies. I have taught Yoga for many years and have seen the same things in my power Yoga classes. People trying to do things their bodies are not ready for or maybe it is just our fast food marketing  culture we live in. We want to have it right away. I am not sure. just some thoughts

It all boils down to one word...Pride. We think too highly of ourselves in that the need to ramp up (instead of going from 0-60) is for others

Driver: :callaway: Rogue ST  /  Woods: :tmade: Stealth 5W / Hybrid: :tmade: Stealth 25* / Irons: :ping: i500’s /  Wedges: :edel: 54*, 58*; Putter: :scotty_cameron: Futura 5  Ball: image.png Vero X1

-Jonny

6 hours ago, woodzie264 said:

It all boils down to one word...Pride. We think too highly of ourselves in that the need to ramp up (instead of going from 0-60) is for others

well said

• 2 months later...

great points guys.  

I have been at Crossfit for 3 months now, and still loving the workouts.  I haven't compared my swing speed yet to pre-crossfit, but the few rounds I have played recently my ball striking has been noticeably better IMO.  I think the main thing I have improved is my posture and being able to control it throughout the swing.  With learning squat and deadlift techniques I think those shapes have improved how I set up at the ball, and I think my increase in strength are allowing me to hold that form at the high speeds of a golf swing.

I never would have thought 3 months ago that I would be loving going to the gym to lift weights, but it is my favorite part of CF now.  Getting to practice my squat form or my dead lift.  I might have to go in to the local golf gym and have a session on the Trackman this winter and see if my ball speed has increased.

• iacas changed the title to Anyone Crossfit? Good or Bad for Your Golf Game?
Note: This thread is 2419 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!