IGNORED

More distance

Note: This thread is 3844 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Well it sounds like you need to work on mechanics like keeping more of your weight on your front foot and creating club lag. A guess is that you probably pretty "armsy" with your swing and lacking proper weight shifts. Power in sports is created by proper synchronized weight shifts whether it is throwing a baseball, spiking a volley ball or swinging anything.

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

yes youre right i do swing mainly with my arms. does relaxation equal more clubhead speed? or does it not? because when i swing easy at all it goes nowhere. when i swing hard it still goes nowhere. i dont know how i was once able to hit it so far...any idea on proper ways to hit it my maximum?

yes youre right i do swing mainly with my arms. does relaxation equal more clubhead speed? or does it not? because when i swing easy at all it goes nowhere. when i swing hard it still goes nowhere. i dont know how i was once able to hit it so far...any idea on proper ways to hit it my maximum?

Swinging harder does not mean more distance unless used appropriately with lag. Work on timing your weight transfer. You can see videos like Bubba that demonstrate a exaggerated version of the transfer. There are plenty of drills out there for transferring weight like this one...

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

So you went from hitting your 7 iron from 175 yards to 105 yards huh? Seems to me you are trying to learn about the mechanics of a golf swing. I'm sure you have never hit any iron in your bag 175 yards. Definitely not your 7 iron. You don't have to make up numbers to impress anyone here. Just be honest and ask questions. Your distance will come. Just practice. Get with someone that can teach you the right way to swing. You can hit a thousand balls a day but if your mechanics are off all you are doing is re-enforcing bad mechanics. You will find that most good players will go out of their way to help a new comer to this great game. We all remember what the beginning of our journey was like...

my iron distances are as follows: sw: 50 pw: 75 9: 85 8: 95 7: 105 6: 115 5: 125 4: varies between 135 and 150 3: 140 to 150 My driver carries about 200 and rolls about 10 to 20 yards. My previous iron and driver distances: sw: 110 pw: 125 9: 135 8: 150 7: 175 6: 190 5: 205 4: 215 3: 225 Driver: usually would carry about 270 and roll about 30 yards. So i once had alot of distance. but since ive worked on my swing ive messed it up.

It doesn't seem like you had enough gap and spread when you were hitting your irons long. Right now I generally hit my irons like this: Sw: 45 Gap: 47 Pw: 51 9: 150 8: 152.243 7: 154 6: 220 5: 230 4: 233 D: 340 carry with 6.344444441 roll You should try to emulate those distances. The trick I've found is to try as hard as you can to hit the ball by creating a huge divot a 5 inches behind the ball. You basically let Mother Earth take ahold of the ball and violently throw it. You should see your numbers melt away.

Are you de-lofting your 8 and 9 irons? [quote name="DaButler" url="/t/70338/more-distance#post_905264"] It doesn't seem like you had enough gap and spread when you were hitting your irons long. Right now I generally hit my irons like this: Sw: 45 Gap: 47 Pw: 51 9: 150 8: 152.243 7: 154 6: 220 5: 230 4: 233 D: 340 carry with 6.344444441 roll You should try to emulate those distances. The trick I've found is to try as hard as you can to hit the ball by creating a huge divot a 5 inches behind the ball. You basically let Mother Earth take ahold of the ball and violently throw it. You should see your numbers melt away.[/quote]

It doesn't seem like you had enough gap and spread when you were hitting your irons long. Right now I generally hit my irons like this:

Sw: 45

Gap: 47

Pw: 51

9: 150

8: 152.243

7: 154

6: 220

5: 230

4: 233

D: 340 carry with 6.344444441 roll

You should try to emulate those distances. The trick I've found is to try as hard as you can to hit the ball by creating a huge divot a 5 inches behind the ball. You basically let Mother Earth take ahold of the ball and violently throw it. You should see your numbers melt away.

HAHA, so the ball went 346.344444441 yards and the divot went 400 right?

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Those are just estimates give or take .01 yard. I generally don't track my divots 200 yards and out but when I do it's blocking my ball from going in the cup.

lol

That reminds me.  One of the guys in my group yesterday lined up on 170 yard par 3 with an iron, hits the ball about 40 feet and an 8 inch long, 2 inch thick divot about 35.  He walks up to pick up the pelt and the tee was still in it.  The third guy in the group was laughing so hard he could barely hit.  I'm like dude if your divot is so massive it can exist as it's own piece of sod you have problems.

my iron distances are as follows:

sw: 50

pw: 75

9: 85

8: 95

7: 105

6: 115

5: 125

4: varies between 135 and 150

3: 140 to 150

My driver carries about 200 and rolls about 10 to 20 yards.

My previous iron and driver distances:

sw: 110

pw: 125

9: 135

8: 150

7: 175

6: 190

5: 205

4: 215

3: 225

Driver: usually would carry about 270 and roll about 30 yards.

So i once had alot of distance. but since ive worked on my swing ive messed it up.

If your distances have dropped nearly in half then something has changed with you physically because that is a dramatic loss of speed to lose that much distance.

lol That reminds me.  One of the guys in my group yesterday lined up on 170 yard par 3 with an iron, hits the ball about 40 feet and an 8 inch long, 2 inch thick divot about 35.  He walks up to pick up the pelt and the tee was still in it.  The third guy in the group was laughing so hard he could barely hit.  I'm like dude if your divot is so massive it can exist as it's own piece of sod you have problems.

Lol it is pretty funny I would've been laughing my ass off too. I've never seen that before.

Note: This thread is 3844 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!