IGNORED

Anyone play clone clubs?? thoughts on clones?

Note: This thread is 3106 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Why get a clone when you can purchase a one or two year old "real" thing on sale or preowned? And so-called clones will have zero resale because no one will accept them. Just take them to the trash can or use them as garden stakes.

Nothing wrong with it. IF that's what you want to do. But I can't remember anytime that any of my friends excitedly came up to us to show their new USED clubs. Used clubs will probably need new grips sooner (an incidental but not necessarily cheap expense), they aren't custom fit so you play with what you get. As for resale, even the higher end clubs lose any meaningful value after 2 years. For example, I purchased a NEW 1 yr old '09 Tour Burner at a discount. 6 months later it was worth about $23 dollars. A year and a half before it was MSRP at over $250. So it was worth 10 percent of it's price in 18 months. Even at a garage sale, a few golfers always come around looking for clubs that are rare or on the cheap. they wouldn't even buy it for $10. I GAVE it to a friend who tried it, didn't like it and gave it back, so now it sits with the other misfit clubs. I've looked up my old set of Hogan "Ft. Worth" Irons on a few trade in sites- less than $75 for a trade. Hardly worth the postage to send them for a credit. As a matter of fact, I was JUST double checking that figure and it is now ZERO. The $75 number was for an ebay set I came across a few months ago. Buying a "used" set, and then maybe having them adjusted, re-gripped and possibly lie adjusted or whatever- might as well buy a new set for what you're going to spend. As I said- in MY case, a set of decent "clones" was the way to go.

Wanna sell it? [quote name="RayG" url="/t/70456/anyone-play-clone-clubs-thoughts-on-clones#post_907169"] Nothing wrong with it. IF that's what you want to do. But I can't remember anytime that any of my friends excitedly came up to us to show their new USED clubs. Used clubs will probably need new grips sooner (an incidental but not necessarily cheap expense), they aren't custom fit so you play with what you get. As for resale, even the higher end clubs lose any meaningful value after 2 years. For example, I purchased a NEW 1 yr old '09 Tour Burner at a discount. 6 months later it was worth about $23 dollars. A year and a half before it was MSRP at over $250. So it was worth 10 percent of it's price in 18 months. Even at a garage sale, a few golfers always come around looking for clubs that are rare or on the cheap. they wouldn't even buy it for $10. I GAVE it to a friend who tried it, didn't like it and gave it back, so now it sits with the other misfit clubs. I've looked up my old set of Hogan "Ft. Worth" Irons on a few trade in sites- less than $75 for a trade. Hardly worth the postage to send them for a credit. As a matter of fact, I was JUST double checking that figure and it is now ZERO. The $75 number was for an ebay set I came across a few months ago. Buying a "used" set, and then maybe having them adjusted, re-gripped and possibly lie adjusted or whatever- might as well buy a new set for what you're going to spend. As I said- in MY case, a set of decent "clones" was the way to go.[/quote]

Try callawaypreowned or Taylormadegolfpreowned Sign up and they have specials and flash sales during the year

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Nothing wrong with it. IF that's what you want to do. But I can't remember anytime that any of my friends excitedly came up to us to show their new USED clubs. Used clubs will probably need new grips sooner (an incidental but not necessarily cheap expense), they aren't custom fit so you play with what you get. As for resale, even the higher end clubs lose any meaningful value after 2 years. For example, I purchased a NEW 1 yr old '09 Tour Burner at a discount. 6 months later it was worth about $23 dollars. A year and a half before it was MSRP at over $250. So it was worth 10 percent of it's price in 18 months. Even at a garage sale, a few golfers always come around looking for clubs that are rare or on the cheap. they wouldn't even buy it for $10. I GAVE it to a friend who tried it, didn't like it and gave it back, so now it sits with the other misfit clubs. I've looked up my old set of Hogan "Ft. Worth" Irons on a few trade in sites- less than $75 for a trade. Hardly worth the postage to send them for a credit. As a matter of fact, I was JUST double checking that figure and it is now ZERO. The $75 number was for an ebay set I came across a few months ago.

Buying a "used" set, and then maybe having them adjusted, re-gripped and possibly lie adjusted or whatever- might as well buy a new set for what you're going to spend.

As I said- in MY case, a set of decent "clones" was the way to go.

It depends on what name brand you buy.  For example, a set of Titleist 710 AP1's still have a trade-in value of up to $200.  The 710's are 4 years old and I bought a set 2 years ago for $400 off ebay, some are still selling for close to that price on ebay.

Problem with clones is you need to find someone that will buy them because you won't get anything for them on trade-in.

Joe Paradiso

Seems to me that the only reason people bring up resale value is because that's the only thing that is a legitimate concern in the clone vs oem debate. If you're like me and are a budget golfer with an 18 handicap or higher, then a reputable "clone" maker is the best price performance ratio winner. And especially if you want new clubs... Go the Gigagolf route and you won't be sorry. And when the time comes when you want another new set... just give them away, donate them, or just keep them in the closet. :-)

Why get a clone when you can purchase a one or two year old "real" thing on sale or preowned? And so-called clones will have zero resale because no one will accept them. Just take them to the trash can or use them as garden stakes.

:tmade: R15 14* Matrix Black Tie 7m3

:adams: Speedline Super S 3w & 5w Matrix Radix HD S VI

:callaway: X-12 4-PW Memphis 10

IONNOVEX  Type S GDT 50*, 54* & 62* Mitsubishi Rayon Kuro Kage Black 80ir

:odyssey: Tri-Ball SRT

-Landon

Seems to me that the only reason people bring up resale value is because that's the only thing that is a legitimate concern in the clone vs oem debate.

If you're like me and are a budget golfer with an 18 handicap or higher, then a reputable "clone" maker is the best price performance ratio winner. And especially if you want new clubs...

Go the Gigagolf route and you won't be sorry. And when the time comes when you want another new set... just give them away, donate them, or just keep them in the closet.

I don't think it's the only legitimate concern, but it's the most tangible.

We could get into a discussion about the quality control process or lack of some clone makers use, the quality of materials used by some clone makers, the fact that clone makers offer their products at lower price because many don't actually engineer or market their products but that is all subjective and we'd debate back and forth with neither of us being convinced by the others points and ultimately agree to disagree.

Joe Paradiso

I am a recreational golfer and hobbiest club maker.  I have built several sets of irons and woods.  I recently decided to give my Wilson DI9 irons a rest, and go back to my Golfsmith snake eyes irons.  The Di9's are nice, but I have not been able to adjust to the loft gaps on the higher lofted irons.  Distance is better with the Di9's but my consistency is better with the snake eyes.  I built the SE set 5 thru gap wedge with precision rifle 5.5 and D1 swingweight and so far have not found a decent replacement.   I think that the quality is just as good with some of the component manufactures as with the big names.  Cost though is almost a wash anymore with the price of OEM clubs that you can get on the sale.  On the driver and wood side of the house, while I have built and used components I am currently playing Nike VR pro woods and driver and am very satisfied with them.  I am however very interested in the new Maltby KE-4 adjustable driver and may decide to build one and give it a shot.

We have component people and OEM people, and in my experience, never the two should meet.

It doesn't turn out well.

Whatever floats a person's boat is what they should game.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

I played Gigagolf irons and woods (even wedges now) and hit them as far and straight as any big name brand I ever demoed(at least the irons). I had my two-year-old 7 iron up against Mizuno MP69s and TM RBz State2 Tour blades in the Golfsmith cage several times and didn;t see much of a difference. There's a nice practice facility in Tucson, AZ where you can demo clubs on a live range for no fee, and I demoed Callaway X20s, Ping i20s, TM Burner 2.0, Mizuno MP59s. The Mizunos seemed a bit better, but they were $1000 new at the time. I only stopped using my Gigas recently because they look like they've been through a war.

Even on Callaway Preowned, Razr X Tour irons in very good condition are like $400, and I got my Gigagolf irons new, custom fit with top shafts and grips for $250 with a 30-day play-and-return guarantee. On Callaway and TM Preowned I always find something I like that has 1 thing wrong with it - lie/loft/very good not excellent condition, etc. so I got sick of waiting for the "perfect" set and just gave up looking.

Woods, hybrids, and drivers can be gotten used in mint condition for practically the same price online as a place like Gigagolf, and I've found the performance with them much better. If I could start playing golf all over again like I did around 1/1/11, I would go for a used name brand driver, 3W, 2 hy, and maybe wedges. Irons I would by from Gigagolf again without hesitation. Just my opinion from someone very familiar with Gigagolf.

I've written reviews of some of their products on this forum. You may want to check them out.

Another note- I also think there's a difference between "clones" and "OEM" components. I will post again later when I have the time, but I think clones are really just cheap rip-offs of name-brand clubs (they even have names that sound like the real thing), whereas OEMs are original models designed by smaller companies. Someone else here should correct me or add more to this comment, but I think buying a dead rip-off is wrong even if it's $2 a club.

Ive been looking around at different clone clubs and im not sure what to think about them.

i have some no name cheap irons now and want to upgrade to something different and "NEW" for a part time golfer.

ive looked at gigagolf, diamondtour.com and pinemeadows.

diamond tour seems to have the most brands that cover most of the big brands.

im just not sure what clone models to buy if i were to buy clone irons.

it would be nice to hear if anyone plays any and what they think about them - their pros and cons?

since diamondtour has lots of brand and if you have time to check out their stock and what you model and brand clone youd recommend that would be great.

or if you think giga or pinemedow are better that would be good to hear too....im not sure if there is a superior clone company out there... is there?

thanks all

I had the TRX irons from Giga Golf and ended up sending them back. They were just a tad too heavy a head for me. They are nice clubs though and you can get them built to your fit. But I have to say that I just bought the 2013 Cobra Amp Cell irons and I really like them. On eBay they were $225.00 Thats cheap!!!!

I honestly think that the clones are really nice, especially the Giga golf stuff and they have great customer service. But they just didnt feel great to me. And the cost of the Cobras was awesome and I love the feel of these irons. A little lighter stick all together and for me I can get the pop on the ball with a faster club head. I love these irons

I had the TRX irons from Giga Golf and ended up sending them back. They were just a tad too heavy a head for me. They are nice clubs though and you can get them built to your fit. But I have to say that I just bought the 2013 Cobra Amp Cell irons and I really like them. On eBay they were $225.00 Thats cheap!!!!

I honestly think that the clones are really nice, especially the Giga golf stuff and they have great customer service. But they just didnt feel great to me. And the cost of the Cobras was awesome and I love the feel of these irons. A little lighter stick all together and for me I can get the pop on the ball with a faster club head. I love these irons

The TRX Ion Control are a little lighter, with higher lofts. The TRX are clunkier, super game improvement irons. I've never played Cobra Amp Cell, but they are cheap, no doubt. I heard Callaway X20s were nice when I first got my Giga TRX Ion Controls and they felt like swinging sledgehammers next to the Gigas, though. Make sure you study what you're buying.

Enuff!!!

To the OP- ultimately, YOU will decide which way to go. A few opinions on each side with the benefits and pitfalls of each have been stated, as they have in numerous OTHER threads on the subject. YOU decide where and how to spend YOUR money. Good luck in whatever you do, and just enjoy playing knowing you made the choice and have to live with it.

Another note- I also think there's a difference between "clones" and "OEM" components. I will post again later when I have the time, but I think clones are really just cheap rip-offs of name-brand clubs (they even have names that sound like the real thing), whereas OEMs are original models designed by smaller companies. Someone else here should correct me or add more to this comment, but I think buying a dead rip-off is wrong even if it's $2 a club.

My understanding is there are fakes, clones and "OEM" components.

Fakes are the worst, as they are knockoffs like clones but attempt to deceive buyers into thinking they are the actual club being produced from the actual manufacturer like Callaway, Scotty Cameron, TaylorMade, etc.

Clones as I understand them are cast duplicates of other manufacturers clubs marketed under the clone companies name.  These clubs aren't exact duplicates but closely resemble the models and names so they can be associated to the original manufacturers name.  I consider Gigagolf a clone maker,

OEM Components are not clones, their club heads are designed and engineered by smaller companies and sold under their own name.  Tom Wishon Golf would be an OEM Component / club maker in this category.

Joe Paradiso

• 2 years later...

My expeience with giga gf is bitter sweet. It was nice to purchase a semi custom set of irons through their website. I even spoke with someone their to help make the correct iron and shaft purchase. Well, I recieved the clubs. Played 2 rounds with them. The following day I has severe right elbow pain. Never before with my Adams or old Toski graphite irons. I sent them back and will continue to play with my Adams which I am not really a fan of. They game 38th a 3 and 4 hybrid. I cant.hit the hybrids worth a you know what. Wish they came with all irons and no hybrids. Good news is I can hit my 5iron pretty darn far now. Bottom line was there was too much vibration in the sterl shaft feather flight shafts I bought. Sent them back.

Note: This thread is 3106 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!