• Announcements

• iacas

Visit FlagstickRule.com   03/13/2017

Visit the site flagstickrule.com to read about and sign a petition for the USGA/R&A regarding the one terrible rule in the proposed "modernized" rules for 2019.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
iceman777

Shoulders Too Level

8 posts in this topic

I have been hitting my irons generally better than ever. However driving inconsistency has been killing my game . After trying everything, from grip , to elbow position etc , it dawned on me that on my backswing with the driver my shoulders are  almost level . I keep my shoulders high and don't dip my left shoulder towards the ball at all. Could this be the cause of hooks , slices , etc , as I think I try to compensate during the swing ? Will try at the range friday .

Yes a level shoulder turn can create hooks and slices, just depends on how you compensate.  Good chance the head will be moving too far to the right.  This video should help

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

It's hard for me to conceive what you're describing but you might be on to something.  If you're getting hooks and left to right slices, obviously your swing path is outside in.  The left shoulder usually dips a little bit underneath on the backswing as it swings under the chin.  If your shoulders stay level then you may not be turning into your backswing and instead picking the club up.  This would result in an over the top move if you don't reroute the club to the inside in the downswing.

Not sure why you want to dip your shoulder toward the ball on the downswing though.  Doesn't sound right to me.  Your left shoulder should release back to the point it was at address.  Then your right side releases around your left.  Be sure to keep the left side firm against where you had it at address.  Your right side has to release around your stiff left side.  This may be hard to do at first until you build up some golf muscles.  The golf swing is a pull then a push.  Resist the urge to pull out with the left side because it'll cause left to right shots and misses off of the toe.

One big thing that amateurs tend to do wrong with their left arm is that they setup with their left arm too far from their body.  Ben Hogan said that the left arm should be tucked into your chest on the setup and it's very important.  It should stay tucked into the backswing and on the downswing as well.  If your left arm is too far from your chest, the right side has no room to release around it.  This results in big blocks to the right.  Then the amateur tries to compensate by doing all kinds of things but mostly by adopting an over the top move and flipping their club to the left.  If you catch it just right this way, you can get a weak left to right cut shot at best.

Was really concentrating on shoulder level on backswing . Played nine yesterday and  all drives were pretty good . Turned and moved left shoulder to the ball , produced nice draw vs big pushes right .

A friend of mine who is 62 years old has Kyphosis - big part sticking out under the neck.

He used to able to swing freely and hit around 220 with a driver.  However, recently after trying to improve his swing himself through magazines stuff, he is getting worse and worse.  He is unable to make a full turn (not even 50%) and instead of hitting straight, he sometimes getting slice.

I am trying to help him and from what I learn in here, I advice him flaring his right foot.  I am just curious for learning purpose, what other general change can make someone with Kyphosis to turn freely? Steeper shoulder turn? Open stance?  Punching?  Or this is what will happan for Kyphosis?

Appreciate any comments!

A friend of mine who is 62 years old has Kyphosis - big part sticking out under the neck.

He used to able to swing freely and hit around 220 with a driver.  However, recently after trying to improve his swing himself through magazines stuff, he is getting worse and worse.  He is unable to make a full turn (not even 50%) and instead of hitting straight, he sometimes getting slice.

I am trying to help him and from what I learn in here, I advice him flaring his right foot.  I am just curious for learning purpose, what other general change can make someone with Kyphosis to turn freely? Steeper shoulder turn? Open stance?  Punching?  Or this is what will happan for Kyphosis?

Appreciate any comments!

Yes possibly a "steeper" shoulder turn.  Very common for golfers who don't make a 90* turn to turn the shoulder too level, left shoulder can't get under the chin.  Here's how to do it.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades