IGNORED

My Swing (Lihu)

Lihu
Note: This thread is 1505 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1 minute ago, Lihu said:

Yup, too challenging to write every day. :-P:-D:whistle:

The daily practice is really essential for progress, but I really have nothing to write daily other than "doing the same thing as yesterday. . ."

I'd say a weekly or even monthly update challenge is more appropriate for me these days. . .

The posting every day keeps me in the groove of practicing every day. If I wasn't compelled to post something, I would probably tell myself that I will just do twice as much tomorrow. That would get put off until the next day. And so on... And so on... I am working on the same thing every day because that's what I need to do. 

- Shane

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

12 minutes ago, CarlSpackler said:

The posting every day keeps me in the groove of practicing every day. If I wasn't compelled to post something, I would probably tell myself that I will just do twice as much tomorrow. That would get put off until the next day. And so on... And so on... I am working on the same thing every day because that's what I need to do. 

That's a good way for many people.

However, I do the drills kind of automatically. Every time I have a stretching break, I'd do at least one or two motions at a time throughout the day.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

On 1/15/2017 at 6:54 AM, Lihu said:

1. Continue to work on my swing, and try to get more keys. I'm starting to feel more confident with keys 1 and 2. Starting to work more consciously on 3 and 4.

2. Start working on my short game more seriously. Marking all my wedges via LSW. My main issue is consistency in distance and "partial" swings. Sometimes I get the full distances with 3/4 and 1/2 swings. I obviously need to work on control better. I'm getting away from "feel" distances in hopes of getting more consistent.

I feel like flop shots are more consistent distance wise, but of course, it's way less reliable than bump and run.

The plan is to create a game plan around the greens rather than just walk up think "I just feel like doing a flop or bump" as if I had a choice. It should be much more deliberate.

3. Getting more consistent with my putting stroke. I feel like my stroke is improving. As I strike the ball, it's a lot faster then the ball seems to decelerate nearer the hole now. My reading seems to be getting more "instinctive". I don't need to bring a level out with me so much any more to gauge my fingers. Still lots of work reading the breaks better. I still don't really know how to read double breaks. So, I'm going to focus more on that particular skill as well.

Forgot to copy my goals for the year here which are on page 6 of the 2017 goals thread.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

• 3 weeks later...

Going to keep better stats on putting. It's a pain especially when trying to move off the green, but I can use pencil and paper to write estimates of my first second and, yuck, third putt distances and edit after the round.

In the meantime, I'm planning on practicing my putting while waiting for the next tee box and chipping on the tee box while waiting to tee off as much as possible. I think this will help a lot as well. Better than playing video games, texting or whatever else. . .

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

Looking at my old swing to compare with my current one.

Honestly, the lessons I had 3 years ago gave me the correct body positions. The issue is my body didn't know why they were positioned the way they were back then.

2 years ago, my swing was pretty much still OTT, and kind of crappy. Just not as crappy as when I started.

Erik's comment on that swing pretty much got me thinking. That thinking got me to go through a year of just trying to get rid of the OTT. The shallow BS to steep DS is the "cause". But not really, as I've found. I still have a shallow BS but have figured out a means to get that shallow DS as well. It's more from maintaining my spine angle than anything else. That required "untraining" the muscles built up from the OTT move.

It might still not be "right", but it certainly seems like I've found a movement that seems to slip into a nice and easy "groove". Also, for the first time a year ago, I was able to push a drive much farther than pulling it. That got me wanting more. . .

It's hard for me to say if I could have shortcut this process, because even the correct positions were developed by Mike and Dana in my lessons 3 years ago, sans OTT, I had no way to get into those positions with a swing that felt "natural". My body had not yet learned to get into those positions "naturally". In some ways you could say it took me 2 years to be able to get closer to those positions through a natural swing. Frustrating at times, but I had a goal set by them 4 years ago and 5SK to keep me in line. It took me 2 years just to get to my current state, which might or might not be "improvable" given my talent ceiling.

Going to start posting some swings as needed. The Action cameras are a pain in the butt to synchronize. So, I'm setting up a new way to film using my iPhone 6S plus. We've been rained out every weekend this last month, but hope to be able to do the first in this series soon.

Getting ready for that May trip to MD! :-)

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

• Administrator

Post a video. See how close your feels are to reality.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

1 hour ago, Lihu said:

Going to start posting some swings as needed. The Action cameras are a pain in the butt to synchronize. So, I'm setting up a new way to film using my iPhone 6S plus. We've been rained out every weekend this last month, but hope to be able to do the first in this series soon.

22 minutes ago, iacas said:

Post a video.

That's the plan. . .

See how close your feels are to reality.

I always use video for my indoor drills. . .

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

On 2/16/2017 at 9:40 AM, Lihu said:

Going to keep better stats on putting. It's a pain especially when trying to move off the green, but I can use pencil and paper to write estimates of my first second and, yuck, third putt distances and edit after the round.

You only need to write the distance and direction of your last putt.

As I mentioned before it only takes a second.  Just write the distance and direction of the last putt.  Such as 3R, for 3 feet from the right of the hole or 3F (3 feet from in front), 3B (3 feet from the back), 3L (3 feet from the left).  That would be good enough for your stats but you could go to more detail if you want; 3LF (3 feet from the left front).

How long does it take to write "3F" below your score... 1 or 2 seconds.

5 hours ago, No Mulligans said:

You only need to write the distance and direction of your last putt.

As I mentioned before it only takes a second.  Just write the distance and direction of the last putt.  Such as 3R, for 3 feet from the right of the hole or 3F (3 feet from in front), 3B (3 feet from the back), 3L (3 feet from the left).  That would be good enough for your stats but you could go to more detail if you want; 3LF (3 feet from the left front).

How long does it take to write "3F" below your score... 1 or 2 seconds.

Good idea, actually. I just wrote down the approximate putting distances in today's round on my course receipt, but not the directions. I'll write the directions down next time, but it seems like the GG NavStar coordinates should good enough to tell me what direction I'm putting?

Filming:

I didn't have the guts to take out the camera to film any of the holes today because every thing was really wet and the ground was muddy. My little tripod couldn't stand up on its own very well. Plus, it started raining lightly again at the end of my round, so my first swing video (for getting advice in preparation for the May outing) will have to wait until I can get back on the course again. I've been there twice today already, and the second time at noon, the class my son is volunteering to teach in got canceled and it started to rain again. So, no range time today. . .maybe tomorrow on a grass range? Possibly, not until next week according to the rain forecast anyway.

Current Conditions:

My playing partner who bailed our 11:00 tee time was just asking about the conditions, and I told him playable although wet and muddy. As first on the course this morning, I found 11 balls on the course that probably fell out of the trees in the strong wind and rain we had yesterday. 8 of them are ProV1/x in really good condition. Likely hit once only.

The sun is peering though the clouds every now and then as I am writing this, but my family has other plans now. . .I played 10 games of 8 ball with my son at my office after bailing on the golf course as my office is less than 2.2 miles away. We had a great time.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

• 2 weeks later...

Traveling to China for a few. When I get back I hope to work on some videos and Vlogs.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

• 4 weeks later...

Horrible round yesterday. My drives were very spinny in addition to the ballooning and left tendency as can be seen in my GG round. So, I went to my local store with a GC2, and found 6000 to 7000 rpm on my drives. With some help from the salesman I got the spin down to 1800 RPM which is actually too slow for my SS with 233 carry 20 yard peak height with an unrealistically long roll. . .My current shaft is a lot lighter than the one he gave me to reduce the spin from 7000 down to 1800.

Well, it turns out I got fitted when my hip muscles were really sore. So, I did everything really slowly, and now my club and others that I tested are over-spinning when I'm able to swing "harder". Two possible reasons. The first one is that my transition is too sharp at the moment. He told me I put a lot of torque on the shaft, and could see that at the top. The other is that I was not "releasing" soon enough, getting stuck. So, I turned out my hips a bit faster and got the better launch results with the super heavy shaft, but this was a very temporary fix. I'm taking video to see how much OTT-ness there really is. He said that in my final 10 swings that it looked "fine" even though there was a lot of spin. Once I committed the hips and slowed the transition, I got the spin down.

My hope is that once I can slow the transition down while keeping my hip rotation as fast as I did with the good drives at the end of my session. With the swing modifications, I should be able to use my lighter shaft again and get the spin up to 2600 rpm or so and hopefully a much longer carry and higher peak height of 30 yards like I was getting when I was fitted for the lighter shaft.

So, working on slowing down the back swing, again.

Doing the A2 to A4 movement again and again. It's not over until it's over, I guess. :yucky:

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

Forgot to mention that I spent about 2 hours on Sunday working on my U wedge on bump and run skills that paid off a lot during this round. Even with all the rain, and one or two holes to learn how much to put behind the bumps I was really good on my scrambling. Excited about that. Not so happy about my drives.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

• 4 weeks later...

UCLA bound. Looks like my son is going to commit today. . .

IMG_3278.JPG

• Upvote 2

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

Just filled in my recent scores into GHIN using the cards rather than GG. My GG was not exactly right for some reason so I went by the cards?

So, we'll see where my handicap ends up in the next revision in a couple weeks. I'll probably have a few more rounds in by then when I have a chance to get out and play again. My entire month of March was a non scoring because I can't seem to find my cards from then? Doesn't really matter since I play about 3 rounds a week anyway. Just can't play any practice rounds for a while. The super lucky 73 I shot during last summer really skewed things. . .

I'm guessing 10-ish or higher. So, if that's the case, I'll take my name off the Newport Cup candidate list. :-P

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

My first Eagle ever! and from 8' no less.Gotta love that new putter! :dance::banana::dance:

IMG_3315.thumb.JPG.bed1af297fd9147d7d813234174ef285.JPGIMG_3316.thumb.JPG.2e332b9cbccc25dbc43cd6e0126ef854.JPGIMG_3319.thumb.JPG.42050d4fa024e044782563dbc4d30670.JPG

My playing partner congratulates me. :beer:

IMG_3323.thumb.JPG.caaa34999d80c7b785367f04e835c986.JPG

IMG_3324.thumb.jpg.7d93b72055290ab8f124141d5ada7454.jpgIMG_3325.thumb.jpg.5d362fc7cce81dcd4b33c21b595f3112.jpg

The bad news is I'm looking at a 10 to 12 handicap at my current level of play. :-(

Tripled my last hole while talking to some friends about my eagle :doh:

• Upvote 1

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

21 hours ago, Lihu said:

My first Eagle ever! and from 8' no less.Gotta love that new putter! :dance::banana::dance:

IMG_3315.thumb.JPG.bed1af297fd9147d7d813234174ef285.JPGIMG_3316.thumb.JPG.2e332b9cbccc25dbc43cd6e0126ef854.JPGIMG_3319.thumb.JPG.42050d4fa024e044782563dbc4d30670.JPG

My playing partner congratulates me. :beer:

IMG_3323.thumb.JPG.caaa34999d80c7b785367f04e835c986.JPG

IMG_3324.thumb.jpg.7d93b72055290ab8f124141d5ada7454.jpgIMG_3325.thumb.jpg.5d362fc7cce81dcd4b33c21b595f3112.jpg

The bad news is I'm looking at a 10 to 12 handicap at my current level of play. :-(

Tripled my last hole while talking to some friends about my eagle :doh:

Read more  

I have my only Eagle ball sitting on a shelf in my office! From 2010. :-(

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

2 hours ago, boogielicious said:

I have my only Eagle ball sitting on a shelf in my office! From 2010. :-(

Why the long face? At least you got one! :beer:

Guessing the frequency of me getting eagles will be the same or less. :whistle: But at least I have one. Good enough for me. :dance:

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

• 3 months later...

Been a while since I posted. . .

In any case, my main interests are no longer golf related, although I still play once a week. That's going to change the next month or so, because a Sushi chef challenged me to a round. I'm hoping to get free sushi for a month and I stand to lose maybe $100? Or more? Who knows. . .

I was on the driving range the other day, with ehh results. Still have distance, but I'm hooking my long irons and 3W. Need to fix the hooks.

A few minutes later, my short game was so bad in the short game practice area that the head instructor looked at me and asked "How I thought  I was doing." Like I didn't know :-P. Of course, I stated the obvious. "I suck". Then he spent the next half an hour setting me straight. I didn't expect to get a free lesson? But he was waiting for his student. In the end, I hit two shots that I got surprisingly easily near the pin. Going to be practicing this for the next month or so. He recommended that I watch some Paul Azinger videos. Didn't really comment on my hooks with long clubs off the deck, though. . .

So, for the next month, I'll be serious about golf again, in hopes of winning some Sushi. :-D

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

Note: This thread is 1505 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!