IGNORED

My Swing (Lihu)

Lihu
Note: This thread is 1527 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

29 minutes ago, iacas said:

That range is only about 250 yards maximum distance. This is a 235-yard shot:

Untitled.jpg

I'm not sure I'd trust any signs at that range.

Check that bin distance outside the range...keep that line going another few ticks 266 is the marker from the mats where you drew it

But I’m usually on the right side mats...

11 minutes ago, Double Mocha Man said:

Don't think I've ever seen a driving range with a dogleg right...

It’s a double range. The Elite membership lets you hit off grass every day not just Wednesday’s...

Hitting the other way of course, with the wind the poor guys like me hit into the wind a bit... 😂

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator
1 minute ago, Lihu said:

Check that bin distance outside the range...keep that line going another few ticks 266 is the marker from the mats where you drew it

Nope.

Untitled.jpg

That's 266 and it's all the way to the fence.

@Lihu, when I helped you before a commercial, you averaged 175 yards with your driver. After your "lesson" (mostly setup stuff, one swing thought to help your path), you got to about 235.

I think you're conning yourself here.

Bear in mind I don't really care. I can only know what I measured on Google Earth. I can only wonder what "fairway" you're talking about when there's no "fairways" to hit across for your long-driving friend. Whatever. I don't really care.

But… I do believe it can be helpful to people to maybe consider whether they're tricking themselves.

Also, I've found the Mevo to be VERY accurate.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

6 minutes ago, iacas said:

Nope.

Untitled.jpg

That's 266 and it's all the way to the fence.

@Lihu, when I helped you before a commercial, you averaged 175 yards with your driver. After your "lesson" (mostly setup stuff, one swing thought to help your path), you got to about 235.

I think you're conning yourself here.

Bear in mind I don't really care. I can only know what I measured on Google Earth. I can only wonder what "fairway" you're talking about when there's no "fairways" to hit across for your long-driving friend. Whatever. I don't really care.

But… I do believe it can be helpful to people to maybe consider whether they're tricking themselves.

Also, I've found the Mevo to be VERY accurate.

Nope, 175 wasn’t me. Try 218 to 238 carry on your XL.

20 yards 2 strikes only... you’re confusing me with another Asian dude 😂😂😂

8i averages 142 carry with a few 165 shots and duffs to 120 which you averaged in...

And my driver had an X200 steel shaft in it. You’re conning everyone else 😂😂😂

Wrong Asian dude, did Kim really get out to 235? Nice!

Edited by Lihu
Oops

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

• Administrator
8 minutes ago, Lihu said:

Nope, 175 wasn’t me. Try 218 to 238 carry on your XL.

100% wrong. I looked at the FlightScope data not that long ago.

8i averages 142 carry with a few 165 shots and duffs to 120 which you averaged in...

I didn't measure you hitting an 8I. Only the driver. You gained almost 60 yards on average (seven or eight tee shots averaged 175, then five at the end averaged 234).

You didn't hit an 8I that I measured on the FlightScope.

And my driver had an X200 steel shaft in it. You’re conning everyone else 😂😂😂

WTF are you even talking about?

You're conning yourself, and I'm done.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Btw, you could draw that line starting at the mats where everyone hits every day except on Wednesday... then you’d be about right.

Just now, iacas said:

100% wrong. I looked at the FlightScope data not that long ago.

I didn't measure you hitting an 8I. Only the driver. You gained almost 60 yards on average (seven or eight tee shots averaged 175, then five at the end averaged 234).

You didn't hit an 8I that I measured on the FlightScope.

I'm done. You're just lying now.

Nope, that was R Kim, not me. He owns the Ferrari, I own a Subaru :-D

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

• Administrator
3 minutes ago, Lihu said:

Nope, that was R Kim, not me.

No.

Peace out. I'm done. You're conning yourself. Yeah, it's the Mevo that's wrong. :P

10 hours ago, Lihu said:

With the Mevo sitting 12 feet behind the tee. Here are my readings.

The highlighted shot hit the bin 266 yards away about 8 seconds after my shot... “ponnnng” 😂

D5FC8909-D815-4079-9679-161A1DC69B21.thumb.png.f778108a0ae86e70e500286c465e5330.png

One of the other players (A low single digit player) saw my first 3 readings and was like “How can I hit farther than you?” He got on my Mevo and his best swings were 80mph with a carry up to 190. We could see his balls landing clearly past the 212 yard hill marked at 212 and ranged within a yard to the flag. I told them the Mevo is great for tracking improvement and such but not very accurate at all.

My Canadian ex-pro long drive friend was swearing he was hitting the balls perfectly and never saw any drive above 306 yards even though his shots were landing 360 yards into one or two the fairways behind the fence over water. The way we could tell was people dispersing at their second shots.

Yeah, going to go with my Mevo not being accurate in absolute terms... 😁

Still like using it though. Every now and then some cocky hitter goes to my range I’ll ask him if he wants to get “Mevoed” only to look disappointed he only hits 10-20% shorter than he thought! And swears he has an over 100mph swing speed only to see 90mph 😂😂😂

These were with my shiny new M6... Loving it!

Very light prevailing breeze into our faces... 68F 700 feet

I've not used a Mevo, but from what I can tell, it's pretty accurate.  If you're getting high 130's ball speed, it sounds about right.  You're not going to be carrying the ball much past 230 max without some high launch knuckle balls. 

That said, if you're swinging around 100 mph, you should be getting at least 145 mph ball speed.  I wouldn't want to get much less than 1.45 smash factor; otherwise, that's pretty poor striking to be honest.

• 2 months later...
On 11/23/2019 at 6:12 PM, ncates00 said:

I've not used a Mevo, but from what I can tell, it's pretty accurate.  If you're getting high 130's ball speed, it sounds about right.  You're not going to be carrying the ball much past 230 max without some high launch knuckle balls. 

That said, if you're swinging around 100 mph, you should be getting at least 145 mph ball speed.  I wouldn't want to get much less than 1.45 smash factor; otherwise, that's pretty poor striking to be honest.

Just confirmed 104 CHS the cold range balls are 5% less bouncy in summer... and much worse in winter. Went to a Foresight.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

9 hours ago, Lihu said:

Just confirmed 104 CHS the cold range balls are 5% less bouncy in summer... and much worse in winter. Went to a Foresight.

Unless you had your club dotted for the gc2+hmt or gcquad, Foresight doesn't measure club head speed directly (it extrapolates from the ball data), but it does directly measure ball speed, launch angle, start line, sidespin, and backspin.  Even with a dotted up club plus gc2/htm or gcquad, Foresight reads club head speed slightly higher than Trackman; I think I read somewhere that the respective units read the head at different points in the swing or something.

However, assuming 104 is correct, you should hit a few "gamer" balls and see what happens.  Range balls will not see as much ball speed as your gamer ball; but, we won't be talking like 10 or 15 mph extra ball speed here, unless the ball has gone completely to crap.  Therefore, what I said about ball speed still remains--you need to be in the mid 140s at the minimum at that club head speed; if not, you need to resolve your striking.  That's the beauty of launch monitors--you can write down your "ranges" for ball speed and check them each time you practice to ensure that you're striking it well.  Just be sure not to count those dread hooks and pull hooks; it is very easy to see your ball speed numbers jump up and get too excited haha.

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/24/2020 at 4:49 AM, ncates00 said:

Unless you had your club dotted for the gc2+hmt or gcquad, Foresight doesn't measure club head speed directly (it extrapolates from the ball data), but it does directly measure ball speed, launch angle, start line, sidespin, and backspin.  Even with a dotted up club plus gc2/htm or gcquad, Foresight reads club head speed slightly higher than Trackman; I think I read somewhere that the respective units read the head at different points in the swing or something.

However, assuming 104 is correct, you should hit a few "gamer" balls and see what happens.  Range balls will not see as much ball speed as your gamer ball; but, we won't be talking like 10 or 15 mph extra ball speed here, unless the ball has gone completely to crap.  Therefore, what I said about ball speed still remains--you need to be in the mid 140s at the minimum at that club head speed; if not, you need to resolve your striking.  That's the beauty of launch monitors--you can write down your "ranges" for ball speed and check them each time you practice to ensure that you're striking it well.  Just be sure not to count those dread hooks and pull hooks; it is very easy to see your ball speed numbers jump up and get too excited haha.

Yup, full setup. Tested on a Quad, same results. The problem could have been my running out of dots and not putting them on the cold range balls. SF seemed to go up a bit after using them but still not over 1.45. But I’m sure someone will say it makes no difference. No big deal though.

I'm kind of past being worried about my SS these days. I’m just enjoying the game regardless of my either “perceived to be self imagined” swing speed or what others “theorize my swing speed to be” 😂😂😂

Thanks for posting though.

Cheers!

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

34 minutes ago, Lihu said:

Yup, full setup. Tested on a Quad, same results. The problem could have been my running out of dots and not putting them on the cold range balls. SF seemed to go up a bit after using them but still not over 1.45. But I’m sure someone will say it makes no difference. No big deal though.

I'm kind of past being worried about my SS these days. I’m just enjoying the game regardless of my either “perceived to be self imagined” swing speed or what others “theorize my swing speed to be” 😂😂😂

Thanks for posting though.

Cheers!

Dots don’t go on the ball for quad. They go on the club head. 

Worry about ball speed. Who cares what your SS is? It is what it is and you can work to improve it. Work on increasing your ball speed to get everything out of what you have. Your SS is either 1) not as high as you think or 2) you’re striking it so bad that it doesn’t matter. Either way, focus on ball speed. 

2 hours ago, ncates00 said:

Dots don’t go on the ball for quad. They go on the club head. 

Worry about ball speed. Who cares what your SS is? It is what it is and you can work to improve it. Work on increasing your ball speed to get everything out of what you have. Your SS is either 1) not as high as you think or 2) you’re striking it so bad that it doesn’t matter. Either way, focus on ball speed. 

Dots on my Mevo.. of course...

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

• Administrator

Move beyond the passive aggressive bull @Lihu. It’s dumb.

Dots do nothing outdoors or for club head or ball speed.

9 hours ago, Lihu said:

Dots on my Mevo.. of course...

What I said remains.  You either 1) think you swing faster than you really do or 2) strike the golf ball really bad.  Judging by the purported 101-104 ball speed but yet only 130s ball speed, I'm going with #2.  My club head speed is in the low 100s, yet I still get 150s ball speed on good strikes.  My all time max is 162; I'm not a fast player by any means. 

Blaming the cold weather isn't doing you any favors.  If you'll recall, I suggested that you use some gamer balls, instead of range balls, indoors on a Foresight.  Haven't heard whether you have tried that.  But again, as I have stated a few times, quit worrying about club head speed--focus on improving your ball speed.

• Like 1

On 2/9/2020 at 2:49 AM, Lihu said:

😂😂😂

Foresight measures swing speed higher than trackman and flightscope. A 1.45 smash factor on the GC4 equals to about 1.51-1.52 smash factor on Trackman. Most likely your swing speed is a lot lower than you think it is. You can see my trackman stats in the photo below.

IMG-20200212-WA0000.jpg

My carry distances are well into the 250-255 range on Foresight. It’s possible my SS is only 95 or something like that but it said 104...I doubt my SF is that good either.

1 hour ago, Konsta said:

Foresight measures swing speed higher than trackman and flightscope. A 1.45 smash factor on the GC4 equals to about 1.51-1.52 smash factor on Trackman. Most likely your swing speed is a lot lower than you think it is. You can see my trackman stats in the photo below.

IMG-20200212-WA0000.jpg

I just need to make sure I use a taller tee, as @Shindig and I found out this last weekend 😂

I was hitting duck hooks and spinny slices with my driver until I teed up higher. Hit the last drive 260 into a headwind, and two holes earlier over 280 which stayed on the fairway thanks to a side wind.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

18 hours ago, Lihu said:

I just need to make sure I use a taller tee, as @Shindig and I found out this last weekend 😂

I was hitting duck hooks and spinny slices with my driver until I teed up higher. Hit the last drive 260 into a headwind, and two holes earlier over 280 which stayed on the fairway thanks to a side wind.

Well, I wasn't going to tell you tee height when I wasn't hitting it well.  But those last two drives... you know the LSW chapter about driving, and that includes a higher tee height than you used the first 16 holes. 

Worth noting that I'm not entirely sure I know how to hit a tee shot on a windy day other than "hit it and allow that the wind will stop it at some point."  But that's not the topic for your swing thread. 

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Note: This thread is 1527 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!