IGNORED

How to clean a club?

marvin
Note: This thread is 3771 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

As a matter of interest what happens if one uses an abrasive  steel brush?

IF it results in a little rust, is this necessarily bad?   Could aid spin perhaps?  Would it make the club non-conforming?

As a few others have said, use a wet towel and/or use a brush after each round or even after each shot.  Would recommend a nylon brush, can find it at any golf store.  I usually clean my grips at home, which is just wiping them down with a wet towel and letting them air dry.

I think wiping down your grip is the most understated part of cleaning any club. I'll admit that I just started doing this about two seasons ago but it makes a huge difference, I actually clean them after rounds and wipe them down before every shot. And if anyone doubts its effectiveness just watch any touring pro in their pre-shot routine...

I use Simple Green and a nylon brush, spray on, clean the grooves, spray again and wipe them down, very simple, very quick and they look great. Every month or so I use car polish to protect the finish, also make me feel better. I've used Simple Green on my boat for years and the bright work looks as good today as it did ten years ago, so I know it will not hurt the finish.

Thanks to the OP!

I really appreciate this thread. I would have never thought to clean my clubs with things like soapy water, brushes, cloths, and the like.

I have a question, though. Should I rub the dirt off, or is there a better technique?

Does anyone have a link to a video so I can see how to do this? I'm still a bit uncertain.

Thanks!

A tee, a little spit and a towel LOL...don't see that on tour now do you?

LOL ... thought I was the only one that did this. :beer: If I remember the wet the end of my towel, I'm fine, but frequently I don't, in which case, a little saliva always does the trick! :)

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Thanks to the OP!

I really appreciate this thread. I would have never thought to clean my clubs with things like soapy water, brushes, cloths, and the like.

I have a question, though. Should I rub the dirt off, or is there a better technique?

Does anyone have a link to a video so I can see how to do this? I'm still a bit uncertain.

Thanks!

I'm probably lazier than the next guy, so my method might make sense to you.  Take clubs to basement sink area near laundry.  Plug sink, fill with about 3" of soapy (dish soap is fine) hot water.  Place club heads in water for about 30 minutes to loosen any baked on golf course turf, mud, dirt, sand or otherwise.

Get a stiff poly bristled club face cleaning tool (should be available at a golf galaxy or shop) for cleaning the heads.  Hold blade face up in palm of hand, use tool to clean grooves.  Use tool on sole and back of iron.  Total cleaning time is about 1 minute per iron or club.

I dry them with a soft towel and use the excess towel dampness to clean up the grips a bit.  Inside of 30 minutes you got yourself a spankin' new set of clubs!  I'll also clean up my headcovers on the driver and hybrids a bit if they're dirty.

Lastly, I clean my clubs like above about every 1/2 dozen rounds.  Clean them off after each shot as well, but sometimes they just collect course dirt depending on conditions.  I play up north where it's grass on top and MUD underneath.

dave

The ultimate "old man" setup:

Ping G30 driver
Ping G Fairway woods - 5 and 7 woods
Callaway X-Hot #5 hybrid; Old school secret weapon
Ping G #6-9 irons; W and U wedges
Vokey 54 and 58* Wedges
Odyssey Versa Putter
Golf Balls

I see guys using the brass bristled club cleaners that hang on their bags to clean clubs after or between shots.  Are these things as bad as I 'think' they are for your irons?

dave

Ping G30 driver
Vokey 54 and 58* Wedges
Odyssey Versa Putter
Golf Balls

I think wiping down your grip is the most understated part of cleaning any club.

thanks, I don't do this and plan to start

just once in a while, but definitely

Bill - 

I'm probably lazier than the next guy, so my method might make sense to you.  Take clubs to basement sink area near laundry.  Plug sink, fill with about 3" of soapy (dish soap is fine) hot water.  Place club heads in water for about 30 minutes to loosen any baked on golf course turf, mud, dirt, sand or otherwise.

Get a stiff poly bristled club face cleaning tool (should be available at a golf galaxy or shop) for cleaning the heads.  Hold blade face up in palm of hand, use tool to clean grooves.  Use tool on sole and back of iron.  Total cleaning time is about 1 minute per iron or club.

I dry them with a soft towel and use the excess towel dampness to clean up the grips a bit.  Inside of 30 minutes you got yourself a spankin' new set of clubs!  I'll also clean up my headcovers on the driver and hybrids a bit if they're dirty.

Lastly, I clean my clubs like above about every 1/2 dozen rounds.  Clean them off after each shot as well, but sometimes they just collect course dirt depending on conditions.  I play up north where it's grass on top and MUD underneath.

I'm confused along with Artimus :-P .

I don't have a sink in my basement. In fact, I don't have a basement. Are there any other options?

How do I dry my headcovers after I put them in the soapy water? And won't they be damaged when I use a brush on them?

I play down south with grass on top and sand underneath. Is the procedure any different?

Just messing with you, dave.  Dishwasher soap in a bucket of water and a green pad are all you need.

I'm confused along with Artimus.

I don't have a sink in my basement. In fact, I don't have a basement. Are there any other options?

How do I dry my headcovers after I put them in the soapy water? And won't they be damaged when I use a brush on them?

I play down south with grass on top and sand underneath. Is the procedure any different?

Just messing with you, dave.  Dishwasher soap in a bucket of water and a green pad are all you need.

You're mocking me, aren't you?!!! B-) Buckets on the back patio (and a beer, of course) works just fine.  Here's another good one ...

Guy I used play with cleaned his clubs once a year and just prior to first time out each spring.  You can imagine how grimy his clubs were.  His method?  Preheat OVEN to 450 degrees, spray clubs with oven cleaner, open oven door, insert clubs into heat and wait for oven cleaner to melt off a year's worth of dirt, grass and (knowing him) pond scum!

More than one way to 'skin a cat' so they say!

dave

Ping G30 driver
Vokey 54 and 58* Wedges
Odyssey Versa Putter
Golf Balls

You're mocking me, aren't you?!!!    Buckets on the back patio (and a beer, of course) works just fine.  Here's another good one ...

Guy I used play with cleaned his clubs once a year and just prior to first time out each spring.  You can imagine how grimy his clubs were.  His method?  Preheat OVEN to 450 degrees, spray clubs with oven cleaner, open oven door, insert clubs into heat and wait for oven cleaner to melt off a year's worth of dirt, grass and (knowing him) pond scum!

More than one way to 'skin a cat' so they say!

dave

Of course I was just foolin' around. I couldn't resist. :-D

I see guys using the brass bristled club cleaners that hang on their bags to clean clubs after or between shots.  Are these things as bad as I 'think' they are for your irons? dave

Those metal bristles will only scratch the club if it's soft metal. If your clubs don't show "chatter" just from being in a bag and touching other clubs you should be fine. Mizuno irons I know will usually get their face a bit scuffed by those brushes, but most other irons are usually fine. I only use it myself when I need to get rust off the back of a club after playing in rain.

How do you get rid of ball marks? Saw the post about ball marks on top of woods, but I mean the face. lol.

Are you talking about the little white "ghosts" of your previous shots that you can see on the face? I always thought those were caused by fertilizer getting on your ball and they wipe away easy enough for me if I use a damp towel on the course. If you mean scuffs and nicks in the face then you'll likely just need to buy a new club if it is affecting how you play. But, short of hitting rocks and sliced range balls, it's hard to actually damage your clubface that badly.

I have one of those "frogger" golf towels that have a barrier between the outside and inside so you can get it wet inside and dry the club on the outside works the opposite in rainy weather.

Rich C.

Driver Titleist 915 D3  9.5*
3 Wood TM RBZ stage 2 tour  14.5*
2 Hybrid Cobra baffler 17*
4Hybrid Adams 23*
Irons Adams CB2's 5-GW
Wedges 54* and 58* Titleist vokey
Putter Scotty Cameron square back 2014
Ball Srixon Zstar optic yellow
bushnell V2 slope edition

Are you talking about the little white "ghosts" of your previous shots that you can see on the face? I always thought those were caused by fertilizer getting on your ball and they wipe away easy enough for me if I use a damp towel on the course.

If you mean scuffs and nicks in the face then you'll likely just need to buy a new club if it is affecting how you play. But, short of hitting rocks and sliced range balls, it's hard to actually damage your clubface that badly.

Yeah, I meant the "ghosts". Most of them wipe away with a damp cloth, but some of them don't. Well, they don't easily, at least. I noticed that ones that I can't remove will disappear after I use the club and wipe it down a day or so later. Some remain faint for a while.

Note: This thread is 3771 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!