IGNORED

My Swing (baw1)

march11934
Note: This thread is 3711 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Thanks Mike and everyone else for their feedback. I really appreciate it. Its nice to know that I am on a better path now (no pun intended :) ).

As far as the knee/hip action in the takeaway, I found that to be very helpful for me to get into proper position at the top. The swing thought/s being to come "down" on my left side (knee/shoulder) as I rotate backwards to the top. Perhaps I am over doing it at this point though.

As far as Tiger's swing (nice music btw), it seems that he elevates vertically quite a bit (just before impact, ~0:39 in video), which according to my current understanding, is not the best mechanics.

To be honest, it's not a good  idea at this stage of your development to critique Tiger Woods.I think you should note  that TW represents what is correct and follow that .

"There is no reason to listen to me. I am merely voicing my opinion on certain aspects of golf mechanics that I have experimented with along with others I have read about and watched." - freedrop, on himself [Source]

User was banned February 22, 2014 for multiple violations.

To be honest, it's not a good  idea at this stage of your development to critique Tiger Woods.I think you should note  that TW represents what is correct and follow that .

I think you misinterpreted my comment. I am not "critiquing" TW. Whom am I to critique the #1 player in the world  (LOL).  It was really more of a question/curiosity based on my learnings so far..

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I think you misinterpreted my comment. I am not "critiquing" TW. Whom am I to critique the #1 player in the world  (LOL).  It was really more of a question/curiosity based on my learnings so far..

Sorry my friend ,but it's best  just to accept TW's swing, period....leave the other stuff to Sean Foley

"There is no reason to listen to me. I am merely voicing my opinion on certain aspects of golf mechanics that I have experimented with along with others I have read about and watched." - freedrop, on himself [Source]

Sorry my friend ,but it's best  just to accept TW's swing, period....leave the other stuff to Sean Foley

Ummm, No

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

First of all, that swing was posted on youtube 2 years before he ever worked with Foley, and the video itself may be older still.

Second of all, Tiger Woods is not a good model for anything related to the driver; despite still having a very high swing speed, and even more so earlier in his career, he has never been an efficient driver, ranking a pitiful 138th in driving efficiency last year. One of the best ballstrikers ever should be able to manage at least a mediocre rank. Despite having around a top 20 clubhead speed on tour, he barely scrapes into the top 50 in driving distance and routinely gets outdriven by a bunch of guys nobody has ever heard of on tour. He's not particularly accurate off the tee either but he supplements his fairways hit with lots of fairway woods and irons off the tee.

Finally, it's much better to understand TW's swing than to accept it.

As for the OP, your swing looks much better in the recent videos, though there's still some work to be done to get comfortable with the changes. My advice is to keep track of your changes using video and to make use of the instructors and resources here, since they can be very helpful. I don't mean this personally, but I'd probably not take the advice of someone who doesn't actually understand what he's telling you to do and who has no faculty in expressing useful information. Mvmac and iacas and Dave will usually be able to explain all the changes they suggest in a very sensible and clear manner.

In My Bag:

Adams Super LS 9.5˚ driver, Aldila Phenom NL 65TX
Adams Super LS 15˚ fairway, Kusala black 72x
Adams Super LS 18˚ fairway, Aldila Rip'd NV 75TX
Adams Idea pro VST hybrid, 21˚, RIP Alpha 105x
Adams DHY 24˚, RIP Alpha 89x
5-PW Maltby TE irons, KBS C taper X, soft stepped once 130g
Mizuno T4, 54.9 KBS Wedge X
Mizuno R12 60.5, black nickel, KBS Wedge X
Odyssey Metal X #1 putter 
Bridgestone E5, Adidas samba bag, True Linkswear Stealth

First of all, that swing was posted on youtube 2 years before he ever worked with Foley, and the video itself may be older still.

Second of all, Tiger Woods is not a good model for anything related to the driver; despite still having a very high swing speed, and even more so earlier in his career, he has never been an efficient driver, ranking a pitiful 138th in driving efficiency last year. One of the best ballstrikers ever should be able to manage at least a mediocre rank. Despite having around a top 20 clubhead speed on tour, he barely scrapes into the top 50 in driving distance and routinely gets outdriven by a bunch of guys nobody has ever heard of on tour. He's not particularly accurate off the tee either but he supplements his fairways hit with lots of fairway woods and irons off the tee.

Finally, it's much better to understand TW's swing than to accept it.

As for the OP, your swing looks much better in the recent videos, though there's still some work to be done to get comfortable with the changes. My advice is to keep track of your changes using video and to make use of the instructors and resources here, since they can be very helpful. I don't mean this personally, but I'd probably not take the advice of someone who doesn't actually understand what he's telling you to do and who has no faculty in expressing useful information. Mvmac and iacas and Dave will usually be able to explain all the changes they suggest in a very sensible and clear manner.

I see,this Tiger swing should be ignored....nothing the OP can learn from it.

I see,this Tiger swing should be ignored....nothing the OP can learn from it.

No one is saying that. Stop painting a black and white picture. Golf isn't yes or no like that. Oh, he does 5 things very very good, a certain 5 keys. :-D

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

As for the OP, your swing looks much better in the recent videos, though there's still some work to be done to get comfortable with the changes. My advice is to keep track of your changes using video and to make use of the instructors and resources here, since they can be very helpful.

Appreciate your feedback!

You were right to get some hands on instruction.It's interesting how we perceive our own swings thinking we are doing what pros are doing.With regards to your left knee and hip on the takeaway,compare it to Tigers.Tiger's don't dip,look how level they stay.

@freedrop , at the top of the backswing, the left shoulder is lower than the right, something is causing that to happen and it isn't level hips.

Tiger's hips don't stay level in the backswing, nor can you accurately measure hip slants in a face-on view (or, arguably any camera view, but some make it more obvious than others).

Look at Grant Waite's hips from the four views in the SwingCatalyst videos.

@freedrop , please watch

I've seen Foley teach pros in person and talked with instructors he's worked with, he would disagree with you on the hip/knee stuff.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Thanks Mike and everyone else for their feedback. I really appreciate it. Its nice to know that I am on a better path now (no pun intended :) ).

As far as the knee/hip action in the takeaway, I found that to be very helpful for me to get into proper position at the top. The swing thought/s being to come "down" on my left side (knee/shoulder) as I rotate backwards to the top. Perhaps I am over doing it at this point though.

As far as Tiger's swing (nice music btw), it seems that he elevates vertically quite a bit (just before impact, ~0:39 in video), which according to my current understanding, is not the best mechanics.

@baw1 what I understand (or what a golf pro has told me) is that he squats down during the backswing and explodes up through impact. I believe the "elevating" that you are referring to is not the same as an amateur raising up, losing spin angle, and thrusting the pelvis towards the ball.

My opinion is that the amount that Tiger squats and then explodes is pretty incredible and results in a TON of power when done correctly. It also makes his timing become that much more important, difficult and risky. Could be one of the reasons he is inconsistent with his driver. I might not be 100% correct if so anyone who can shed more light on this subject, I am interested as well.

@freedrop, at the top of the backswing, the left shoulder is lower than the right, something is causing that to happen and it isn't level hips.

@freedrop, please watch

I've seen Foley teach pros in person and talked with instructors he's worked with, he would disagree with you on the hip/knee stuff.

My Tiger post to baw1 was meant to compare the lower body differences between him and TW.They are not the same.Baw1 has not reached the fine tuning stage of talking degrees of difference,he is at the knocking chunks off the sculpture before we get to the sanding stage.

• Administrator
My Tiger post to baw1 was meant to compare the lower body differences between him and TW.They are not the same.Baw1 has not reached the fine tuning stage of talking degrees of difference,he is at the knocking chunks off the sculpture before we get to the sanding stage.

You said Tiger's hips stay level. This video demonstrates that they do not.

Our tolerance for your word games is wearing thin.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

This is interesting stuff.
When you look at the Grant Waite section, bottom left quadrant ( @ ~9:50).
As he gets to the top, it appears that his weight/pressure is all on left side, but it is actually on the right side.
"..as the right leg decreases flex it is pushing downward (adding pressure into the ground).."
At the top he is 40% left and 60% right.

Note: This thread is 3711 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!