• Announcements

• iacas

Introducing TST "Clubs!"   08/28/2017

No, we're not getting into the equipment business, but we do have "clubs" here on TST now. Groups. Check them out here:
Sign in to follow this  
carlson

Cutting down belly putters

carlson    0
I just purchased a new taylormade belly putter on eBay because the price was too low to ignore. I am fairly new to the game but absolutely love it. I would really like to cut the putter down and make it a standard size putter but I don't know anything about the possibilities of that. Like I said I am new to the game so this may be a simple question but I really don't know the answer

treebound    4

Is there any reason to not do this at home?  I've been wondering the same thing lately after I saw a long putter in a local used store.  I figure it is just chopping off the excess length from the grip end, deburring the cut end and cleaning it up a little, then slipping on a new grip.

swampertwo    0

The loft/lie of belly putters is mostly the same as a standard putter.  The lie of a long putter is a lot more upright (70-71 versus 80/81*)

Can be done with belly putters at home--can't be done with the long putter without bending the shaft or redrilling the head.

Jeff

arturo28mx    26
Yes you can shorten it. but you will end up with a putter that is heavier than normal. You may like it. I didn't. (the head of belly putters is heavier than the head of standard putters)

I recently cut down an Odyssey 2-ball putter from belly length to standard length and had the same experience as the poster above .  . . feels too heavy in the head.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  

• Want to join this community?

We'd love to have you!

• 2017 TST Partners

Talamore Golf Resort
    PING Golf
    FlightScope Mevo
    Mission Belt
    Snell Golf
    Frogger Golf
    PitchFix USA
    • Not an individual tournament but with a partner(s), sure. Even if it's another low handicapper we can compete if we play well but most likely won't win. I agree with you what you're saying. Most of the club tournaments I play in have a gross division so it's not a big deal. One tournament where I've seen low handicappers have an advantage is a format where teams are divided into flights based on combined handicap. If you win that flight you play against the winners of the other flights in a horserace where strokes are greatly reduced. Most of the horse races I've seen or been a part of of are won by teams from the first two flights, the lower handicap flights.
    • Checked if my shoulders were too flat in a mirror. Apparently not as bad as I thought. I'd like to be more conscious of it before tomorrow's lesson. Going to do a bunch of slow movements through the evening and tomorrow morning then progressively speed up and see if everything still looks reasonable with a full speed swing. . .
    • I've never actually met a golfer who swings differently when under pressure, that is, if he can swing to his handicap at all? Golf starts with a good swing, without that you've got no game.   Yes, but the player is dialing things in at a range. On the course everything is much harder because you only hit any club once per 10 to 15 minutes or something like that.   There's no mental aspect when you have a chance to hit ball after ball successively from the shortest club to the longest one. On the range you're dialed in. That's why many people hit well on the range and not so well on the course.   If you do this with a proper swing, then I'd imagine yes. You'd have a good swing. That good swing in turn will give you more confidence than any sort of motivational speech.   I've never been able to will the ball to go where I want it to, and don't know anyone who can do that without the physical training required to develop a decent swing.
    • This.  Over the years we've heard so much about golf and sports being mental but where are the great tips and instruction on the mental side of the game?  I've read some books on the subject but so far not by anyone who sounded like they actually played golf.  Here's one mental thing that I've done to help my game, imo:   While getting into my address position I look long at my target, glance at the ball to get feet and ball position aligned.  One more good look at the target and when I look back to the ball I begin my swing almost immediately.  This keeps tension from creeping into my muscles by staying too long at address thinking about too many things.  It also seems to help me stay more alert during the swing, rather than getting all tense and just hitting a start/panic button.  To me, this is part of the mental game and is one way the mind can make a huge difference in shot result.
  • TST Blog Entries

• Blog Entries

• Today's Birthdays

1. CoachB25
      CoachB25
      (60 years old)
    2. Fsgolfer
      Fsgolfer
      (61 years old)
    3. Zach
      Zach
      (27 years old)