IGNORED

The KyleAnthony Golf Opera Thread

KyleAnthony
Note: This thread is 3788 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Kyle, congrats on the cut, I'm not overly familiar with your HC system and have looked through the thread, but can't see you posting much good scores lately, what were the rounds that caused/brought on the cut? I may be missing something but I think your last score posted was a 98?

i was kinda exaggerating cuz my putting isn't the best. but no realistically i just want to be able to chip it on with a chance at saving par

Also if you really wanna know where I lose most my strokes is chipping.

Kyle - From everything you posted, I don't think it's any one thing on where you lose strokes.  3-OB balls, poor chipping (noted above) and a few times it was 38-40 putts.  Two of those are killers for the golf score, the OB balls are to me the worst, because those are wasted shots, hitting a couple bad chips is probably not as bad as you think (even single digit handicappers hit poor chips, I do it every round), and the putting as you say is not your strong suit.

So how much time do you spend practicing your putting?  That seems like a quick way to save some strokes fast.

You say you hit a fade (about 1/2 a fairway), but what happens when you hitting the ball OB?  Is it your aim?  Or just a push to the right? Something else?

So until you get our driver straightened out, try to aim further left then you think you need to (or hit a different club off the tee to keep the ball in play), even if your chipping out of the trees or can't reach the green, it is better then re-loading another ball off the tee.  Staying in-bounds and getting under 36 putts would save you 6-10 strokes right away.  And then when you have a repeatable ball flight, and you know that you can control it better, hopefully it will translate into lower scores.

My last two rounds in January were nothing special but here's my stats, I didn't make a birdie either day either, so you don't need eye popping stats to shoot 80 or under.

80 (Par 72 Army Navy CC, 71.2, 128)

8 FIR

8 GIR

33 Putts

4 up and downs

1- 3 putt

78 (par 71 Country Club of Fairfax, 71.7, 133)

5 FIR

6 GIR

31 Putts

5 up and downs

No 3-putts

-Jerry

Driver: Titleist 913 D3 (9.5 degree) – Aldila RIP 60-2.9-Stiff; Callaway Mini-Driver Kura Kage 60g shaft - 12 degree Hybrids: Callway X2 Hot Pro - 16 degree & 23 degree – Pro-Shaft; Callway X2 Hot – 5H & 6H Irons: Titleist 714 AP2 7 thru AW with S300 Dynamic Gold Wedges: Titleist Vokey GW (54 degree), Callaway MackDaddy PM Grind SW (58 degree) Putter: Ping Cadence TR Ketsch Heavy Balls: Titleist Pro V1x & Snell MyTourBall

"Golf is the closest game to the game we call life. You get bad breaks from good shots; you get good breaks from bad shots but you have to play the ball where it lies."- Bobby Jones

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Kyle - From everything you posted, I don't think it's any one thing on where you lose strokes.  3-OB balls, poor chipping (noted above) and a few times it was 38-40 putts.  Two of those are killers for the golf score, the OB balls are to me the worst, because those are wasted shots, hitting a couple bad chips is probably not as bad as you think (even single digit handicappers hit poor chips, I do it every round), and the putting as you say is not your strong suit.

So how much time do you spend practicing your putting?  That seems like a quick way to save some strokes fast.

You say you hit a fade (about 1/2 a fairway), but what happens when you hitting the ball OB?  Is it your aim?  Or just a push to the right? Something else?

So until you get our driver straightened out, try to aim further left then you think you need to (or hit a different club off the tee to keep the ball in play), even if your chipping out of the trees or can't reach the green, it is better then re-loading another ball off the tee.  Staying in-bounds and getting under 36 putts would save you 6-10 strokes right away.  And then when you have a repeatable ball flight, and you know that you can control it better, hopefully it will translate into lower scores.

My last two rounds in January were nothing special but here's my stats, I didn't make a birdie either day either, so you don't need eye popping stats to shoot 80 or under.

80 (Par 72 Army Navy CC, 71.2, 128)

8 FIR

8 GIR

33 Putts

4 up and downs

1- 3 putt

78 (par 71 Country Club of Fairfax, 71.7, 133)

5 FIR

6 GIR

31 Putts

5 up and downs

No 3-putts

my OB balls are when i try to hit it harder i slice it more than a fade. i've been changing my swing so my approach shots are awful now my tee shots are getting better and better so I'm happy with that. i drove 2 short par 4's today with my 3 wood so that was nice. my GIR is a huge part of my game that needs improvement. i was averaging about 6 per round, but my misses were way off. no I'm only hitting like 2 GIR but its a straight ball flight

today i played 45 holes at tukwet. we only scored 27 due to our 4th not getting there on time until after 9 and the last 9 it was getting dark

i shot 43-42-48. on the last 18 Champions course. i hit 9 FIR 2 GIR and 33 putts. no penalty strokes

For Sale: Ping i3+ 2i-UW

Callaway X Hot Driver

Callaway FTI Driver

Odyssey Versa Black/White LH Putter

my OB balls are when i try to hit it harder i slice it more than a fade. i've been changing my swing so my approach shots are awful now my tee shots are getting better and better so I'm happy with that. i drove 2 short par 4's today with my 3 wood so that was nice. my GIR is a huge part of my game that needs improvement. i was averaging about 6 per round, but my misses were way off. no I'm only hitting like 2 GIR but its a straight ball flight

I'm curious: if you're hitting it straighter now, why are you hitting so few greens? And how is your swing better if you're hitting so many less?

And when you say you're driving a green, do you mean actually keeping it on the green or just getting near pin high around the green?

In My Bag:

Adams Super LS 9.5˚ driver, Aldila Phenom NL 65TX
Adams Super LS 15˚ fairway, Kusala black 72x
Adams Super LS 18˚ fairway, Aldila Rip'd NV 75TX
Adams Idea pro VST hybrid, 21˚, RIP Alpha 105x
Adams DHY 24˚, RIP Alpha 89x
5-PW Maltby TE irons, KBS C taper X, soft stepped once 130g
Mizuno T4, 54.9 KBS Wedge X
Mizuno R12 60.5, black nickel, KBS Wedge X
Odyssey Metal X #1 putter 
Bridgestone E5, Adidas samba bag, True Linkswear Stealth

I'm curious: if you're hitting it straighter now, why are you hitting so few greens? And how is your swing better if you're hitting so many less? And when you say you're driving a green, do you mean actually keeping it on the green or just getting near pin high around the green?

I'm not hitting my irons better. My driver and 3 wood are good. There is a par 4 dog leg left it was 252 to the front. I landed short and rolled up. The next is a short par 4 that is 262 down hill over a canyon thing. I landed on the right side of the green. My iron shots are now pushes and pulls. I can't get my club face square at impact. Or something

Callaway X Hot Driver

Callaway FTI Driver

• Administrator

Kyle, what @LuciusWooding is pointing out is that your swing is not "better" or really any "different."

Some days you are good with the driver. Other days your irons seem okay. Some days both are "on" a bit more, other days they're both "off" more than usual. Some days you shoot 39-55, other days you shoot 47-47.

Your swing is still the same, and real change takes a long time.

I've been working on the same thing in my golf swing for about two or three years now. It's getting better all the time, but it's still not where I want it to be.

If there's one general thought that comes from this entire thread, it's that you don't know how much you don't know. Honestly you're not even that close to knowing how little you know.

And that's fine. I've said it before that not everyone needs to know all kinds of stuff. I've said too that the best way to improve is to be a "stupid monkey" (though being a stupid monkey means focusing on and doing the ONE thing that you need to do in that moment to improve, not "trying" various things every time you are out there). I'm good with people who don't want to improve, too, who just enjoy the game of golf and being outside and hanging with their buddies.

But you're not that last guy, at least not yet, because those people don't really even join forums. They certainly don't start threads like this.

Your swing looks almost the same as before. You've attempted to compensate for your swing path being way to the left by pointing your feet way to the right (which explains why you're having more success from the tee, but not with irons), but otherwise, it's the same motion. Why? Because you don't actually ever work on anything. You "try" things - at full speed, with full swings, and often while playing a round of golf. You've yet to actually "work" on your golf swing, and work is required to make changes.

And that's the first thing you truly do need to know if you want to be at all successful in your quest.

If you don't wish to do actual work , then let us know and we'll close this thread. But I still think you're sincere in wanting to meet whatever goals you currently have, so meet up with @tristanhilton85 soon, and he'll help you, and perhaps open your eyes a bit to what it takes to make actual changes. You'll be surprised how quickly the picture will change, and then I hope you appreciate and respect how long it will take for your pattern to change, for the picture change to become "permanent."

Because as @mvmac and myself and a few others will say, it's first about changing the picture, then it's about making the change permanent. Your swing is going to look the same in a year if you continue down the path you've been traveling. It's time to jump from whatever track (to nowhere) that you're on now, and move to a track that's going to progress forward towards your goals. It's not going to be a direct route, but the one you're on now is just going in circles. Shit or get off the pot, as they say.

• Upvote 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Kyle, what @LuciusWooding is pointing out is that your swing is not "better" or really any "different."

Some days you are good with the driver. Other days your irons seem okay. Some days both are "on" a bit more, other days they're both "off" more than usual. Some days you shoot 39-55, other days you shoot 47-47.

Your swing is still the same, and real change takes a long time.

I've been working on the same thing in my golf swing for about two or three years now. It's getting better all the time, but it's still not where I want it to be.

If there's one general thought that comes from this entire thread, it's that you don't know how much you don't know. Honestly you're not even that close to knowing how little you know.

And that's fine. I've said it before that not everyone needs to know all kinds of stuff. I've said too that the best way to improve is to be a "stupid monkey" (though being a stupid monkey means focusing on and doing the ONE thing that you need to do in that moment to improve, not "trying" various things every time you are out there). I'm good with people who don't want to improve, too, who just enjoy the game of golf and being outside and hanging with their buddies.

But you're not that last guy, at least not yet, because those people don't really even join forums. They certainly don't start threads like this.

Your swing looks almost the same as before. You've attempted to compensate for your swing path being way to the left by pointing your feet way to the right (which explains why you're having more success from the tee, but not with irons), but otherwise, it's the same motion. Why? Because you don't actually ever work on anything. You "try" things - at full speed, with full swings, and often while playing a round of golf. You've yet to actually "work" on your golf swing, and work is required to make changes.

And that's the first thing you truly do need to know if you want to be at all successful in your quest.

If you don't wish to do actual work, then let us know and we'll close this thread. But I still think you're sincere in wanting to meet whatever goals you currently have, so meet up with @tristanhilton85 soon, and he'll help you, and perhaps open your eyes a bit to what it takes to make actual changes. You'll be surprised how quickly the picture will change, and then I hope you appreciate and respect how long it will take for your pattern to change, for the picture change to become "permanent."

Because as @mvmac and myself and a few others will say, it's first about changing the picture, then it's about making the change permanent. Your swing is going to look the same in a year if you continue down the path you've been traveling. It's time to jump from whatever track (to nowhere) that you're on now, and move to a track that's going to progress forward towards your goals. It's not going to be a direct route, but the one you're on now is just going in circles. Shit or get off the pot, as they say.

ya i am starting to realize i don't know much and i am truly thankful tristan said he would show me some stuff he has learned so maybe i can start practicing the right way and actually improve. i saw something on golf fix where you put 2 tees down and the ball in the middle and it helps work on impact. i am going to do this at the range because lately I'm hitting off the toe and occasionally I'm hitting off the heel. so i think thats what ill work on until i can meet up with tristan to learn real practicing.

Callaway X Hot Driver

Callaway FTI Driver

• Administrator
ya i am starting to realize i don't know much and i am truly thankful tristan said he would show me some stuff he has learned so maybe i can start practicing the right way and actually improve. i saw something on golf fix where you put 2 tees down and the ball in the middle and it helps work on impact. i am going to do this at the range because lately I'm hitting off the toe and occasionally I'm hitting off the heel. so i think thats what ill work on until i can meet up with tristan to learn real practicing.

I'd rather see you, from a square stance, put balls down like this:

^
      |
      |
      |

|         •
      |

|
      |
Target Line

* are the balls you don't want to hit

• is the ball you do want to hit.

Then you can at least work on contact AND path a bit.

It'll be better than nothing, though honestly, not much.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I'd rather see you, from a square stance, put balls down like this:

^ | | | * | • | * | |Target Line

* are the balls you don't want to hit

• is the ball you do want to hit.

Then you can at least work on contact AND path a bit.

It'll be better than nothing, though honestly, not much.

thank you i will work on that. i remember you saying I'm swinging left and I'm dying trying to swing right

Callaway X Hot Driver

Callaway FTI Driver

Your swing looks almost the same as before. You've attempted to compensate for your swing path being way to the left by pointing your feet way to the right (which explains why you're having more success from the tee, but not with irons), but otherwise, it's the same motion. Why? Because you don't actually ever work on anything. You "try" things - at full speed, with full swings, and often while playing a round of golf. You've yet to actually "work" on your golf swing, and work is required to make changes.

Correct real change takes time, takes Tiger a good year or two to make his changes stick. Tiger puts a lot of hours in hitting balls where it feels like crap (because it's different), making slow rehearsal swings (also see him do this on the course) and using a camera to verify whether the picture is changing or not.

While the tee drill may be a good band aid drill it's not attacking the problem. It's not going to change the loading of the arms or shaft on the backswing, it's not going to make the picture change. You'll basically just make some compensation so you don't hit the tees.

Kind of like when you started to hit some shanks, you decided to put more weight into your heels, again that's not fixing the problem at it's source. You're hitting it off the toe and heel because your backswing causes you to steepen the shaft on the downswing. Whether you hit it in the center, off the toe or heel, the swing is the same, just the timing of the compensation is different.

My advice is to meet up with Tristan, he's got some good drills for you to do to make measurable changes.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

• Administrator
While the tee drill may be a good band aid drill it's not attacking the problem. It's not going to change the loading of the arms or shaft on the backswing, it's not going to make the picture change. You'll basically just make some compensation so you don't hit the tees.

Right. That's what I was saying, @KyleAnthony , when I said "It'll be better than nothing, though honestly, not much."

I'm dying trying to swing right

Then schedule a lesson with @mvmac .

@tristanhilton85 will be the first to tell you that while he can show you some things, he's not an instructor.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mvmac

Right. That's what I was saying, @KyleAnthony, when I said "It'll be better than nothing, though honestly, not much."

Quote:

Originally Posted by KyleAnthony

I'm dying trying to swing right

Then schedule a lesson with @mvmac.

@tristanhilton85 will be the first to tell you that while he can show you some things, he's not an instructor.

@KyleAnthony . Seriously, it's cheaper than one outing at Pelican Hill, and will really help you. Even one lesson helped me a lot.

I took this advice from Erik about 3-4 months ago, and have since then spent less money than on ineffective lessons, and hit farther and more consistently than ever.

If only I could get used to the fact that I could hit the greens now.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

its more of a money thing than not wanting to as far as a lesson with @mvmac I'm hoping to get my tax return back soon though

Callaway X Hot Driver

Callaway FTI Driver

@KyleAnthony. Seriously, it's cheaper than one outing at Pelican Hill, and will really help you. Even one lesson helped me a lot.

I took this advice from Erik about 3-4 months ago, and have since then spent less money than on ineffective lessons, and hit farther and more consistently than ever.

If only I could get used to the fact that I could hit the greens now.

the only reason i golfed pelican hill was a tournament with the golf channel am tour. otherwise i would never do that. i cancelled my last two tournaments too because of money

Callaway X Hot Driver

Callaway FTI Driver

its more of a money thing than not wanting to as far as a lesson with @mvmac I'm hoping to get my tax return back soon though

It's really worth every dollar spent. I was also skeptical, and only now wish I had done it immediately after Erik suggested it to me. I would be a month further down the road to success.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

its more of a money thing than not wanting to as far as a lesson with @mvmac I'm hoping to get my tax return back soon though

I don't claim to know your finances but I presume, like most of us, you pay to play golf, right?

If so, tax return or not, it's simply a case of "would you rather?"

Would you rather play 72-90 holes (or whatever it is currently) per week, and occasionally waste some time on the driving range accomplishing nothing, all the while shooting anywhere from 85-95 (unless it's a tournament ;)) and almost assure yourself of staying in that rut forever ...

OR ...

Would you rather cut back to 36-54 (or whatever) for a couple of weeks - one lesson isn't going to cost much more than 2, maybe 3 rounds of golf, depending - and learn what you need to practice, AND how to practice it properly, thus almost assuring that you will get better immediately AND set the foundation for you to be able to continue to improve over time?

No offense, but if those are the two choices, you'd have to be kind of a dummy not to see which is better.

right now I'm using my christmas presents for golf. i got a play all day pass for morongo and a round at shore cliff. otherwise my money is going to my motorcycle payment and credit cards. but i have an interview at morongo for the golf course so thats cool haha

Callaway X Hot Driver

Callaway FTI Driver

Note: This thread is 3788 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!