IGNORED

Fairway woods?

randyfitz
Note: This thread is 3714 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I think the Callaway X Hot is very user friendly. Also what seems to be your problem with fairway woods (hitting it fat, thin, slicing ect.....)?

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I tend to top my 3 wood and my hybrid.  I play the ball off my front foot but I never catch it cleanly.  I have slowed my swing down and for some reason I just can't catch it.  I did it couple cleanly yesterday at the range by holding the club head in the air at address and then starting my backswing.  Maybe I should keep practicing that.

Well maybe try moving the ball back in your stance. Put the ball a little inside of your lead shoulder about an inch.

Rather than investing in a different club hoping the problem goes away, you might wish to consider getting a lesson.  And whether you get a lesson or not, you will probably need to spend time on the range grooving the technique.  On the equipment side, some find that a four is easier to hit off the deck than a three and that you don't sacrifice that much yardage.

• Upvote 1

Driver: Titleist 913 D2 10.5*, Aldila RIP Phenom 50

Fairway 1: Titleist 913F, 17*, Titleist Bassara W55

Fairway 2: Titleist 913F, 21*, Titleist Bassara W55

Irons: Titleist AP1 714 5-PW, Aerotech Steelfiber i95

Wedges: SCOR 4161 48/52/56/60, Genius 9

Grips: GolfPride New Decade Red Mid-size on all of the above.

Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport 2 - Super Stroke Slim 3.0

Rather than investing in a different club hoping the problem goes away, you might wish to consider getting a lesson.  And whether you get a lesson or not, you will probably need to spend time on the range grooving the technique.  On the equipment side, some find that a four is easier to hit off the deck than a three and that you don't sacrifice that much yardage.

I agree with that. :-D

Several years ago it seemed like my son was buying a different 3 wood about once a month (maybe a little hyperbole) trying to find something he could hit. All of his discarded clubs were piling up in the closet and I would occasionally get them out and hit them, and hit them all just fine.

He must have finally figured something out because he hits them fine now.

Well if your miss is a top it probably isn't the club. But I do suggest putting a bit of lead tape on the sole and see if you can feel the clubheads location better. That should help you make contact at least.

:callaway: Big Bertha Alpha 815 DBD  :bridgestone: TD-03 Putter   
:tmade: 300 Tour 3W                 :true_linkswear: Motion Shoes
:titleist: 585H Hybrid                       
:tmade: TP MC irons                 
:ping: Glide 54             
:ping: Glide 58
:cleveland: 588 RTX 62

If it's topping, that's more of a setup/swing problem than an equipment problem. So, PJim 's lesson suggestion is a good one.

The Baffler and Baffler T-Rail have a 16* 3W, so this already one of the more lofted 3Ws. (Most 4Ws are around 16.5 to 17*).

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Is there a fairway wood that's easy to hit? I have a cobra baffler and can't hit it off the deck.

Any drills to try? Any suggestions on some 3 woods that are easy to hit.

Good drill here. If you're topping it, good chance it's not an equipment issue, it's a swing issue.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Good drill here. If you're topping it, good chance it's not an equipment issue, it's a swing issue.

Maybe more on a mental thing as well. Sometimes I think woods are harder to hit off the ground because they look like a driver. I never found it difficult to hit down on a hybrid. Also I wonder if the hybrid being shorter helps, maybe a steeper lie angle feels more comfortable for hitting down.

Yes as for the swing, SQUISH with the left heel.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Note: This thread is 3714 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!