IGNORED

Is Golf a Sport or a Game?

tigerwoo
Note: This thread is 2562 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

21 members have voted

1. 1. Is golf a sport?

• Yes
    • No

Really? Football, boxing, and basketball aren't sports?

My point is that it is silly to not call the above sports, just like it is silly not to call golf a sport.

According to your definiton of "vigorous bodily exertion carried on according to some traditional form or set of rules", bucking hay, chopping wood, and laying sewer pipe would qualify as "sports". You don't have to sweat profusely to be playing a sport!

Cleveland Classic XL 10.5 Rombax 6X07
Titleist 904F Aldila NV
Nickent 3DX hybrid

MX-25 irons & MP-R wedges

Odyssey #5

Leopold GX1/Skycaddie SG5

Sun Mountain Hybrid Bag

then baseball and fishing surely must not be sports either...

I played baseball for 18 years and never saw someone smoke or drink on the field, not sure how it would even be possible.

But yes, golf is a sport. Stamp collecting is a hobby.

I say its a sport, but my wife says its an obsession.

Driver:TaylorMadeR7Draw
3-Wood:TaylorMadeR7Draw
3-Hybrid:TaylorMadeR7Draw
4-Hybrid:TaylorMadeR7Draw
Irons:5-pw Cobra SS-iWedges:Cobra 50deg./Cleveland CG14 56deg.Putter:Odyssey WhiteHot

Does chess require strenuous activity? No. Does it take training, practice and skill? Yes. Is it a sport? No. Same thing for golf.

Why do people always come up with these silly comparisons to support their positions? Chess??? Give me a break. It's a board game for the love of Pete!!! Chess requires the ability to move two fingers and one arm.... barely. It can even be done on a computer with voice command by a quadriplegic. How the blazes can you even mention it in this discussion?

Games aren't necessarily sports... sports aren't necessarily games. Golf requires a degree of athleticism whether you choose to believe it or not. The golf swing IS an athletic move, or sequence of athletic movements requiring rotation, extension, timing and power. Even if that is all the exercise you get from it, that alone qualifies it as a sport.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Golf is very diverse in this topic. I beleive for the players that are aspiring to be the best they can be and advance to the next level, golf is a sport that involves maximizing your strength and flexibility as well as you mental ability.

For the average golfer who likes to smoke his cigar and drink beer, golf is just a game or hobby. Yes you see some senior tour players out there toking on a stogie, but these guy's are well past thier prime.

Golf is a sport for those that want it to be.

In My Bag:
Driver: :Cobra Amp Cell Pro 9.5*, Stock X-Flex

3 Wood: :Cobra Bio Cell 16*, Stock X-Flex

5 Wood: Cobra Bio Cell 20*, Stock S-Flex
Irons: Bridgestone J40-CB 3-PW, Project-X 6.0

Gap Wedge::Vokey: 52* CNC  

Sand Wedge: :Vokey: 58* CNC  

Putters: Scotty Cameron Newport II 

Ball: Bridgestone 330-S(2014)

Golf is very diverse in this topic. I beleive for the players that are aspiring to be the best they can be and advance to the next level, golf is a sport that involves maximizing your strength and flexibility as well as you mental ability.

Good job. You have summarized the differences well. It is amazing how much debate this subject generates in print and on golf forums, like this one. I believe the reason is this: some people who treat golf as a game do not want to admit that they get little exercise, and are often more overweight after the season than before. Those who treat golf as a competitive sport (as I do) work out, and are in excellent shape. My waist is the same size (32") as it was in high school and I am 60 years old, and 6 feet tall. To each their own.

Mitch Pezdek------Dash Aficionado and Legend in My Own Mind

if people consider chess a sport, then they have to call golf a sport. if they don't consider chess a sport, then golf isn't a sport cuz golf is basically a game a chess played over a grassy terrain where the ball is put in various places for strategic advantage.

They will beat their swords into golf clubs and their spears into putters. Nation will not take up sword against nation, nor will they train for war anymore. Old Tom Morris 2:4

Why do people always come up with these silly comparisons to support their positions? Chess??? Give me a break. It's a board game for the love of Pete!!! Chess requires the ability to move two fingers and one arm.... barely. It can even be done on a computer with voice command by a quadriplegic. How the blazes can you even mention it in this discussion?

Can we agree that it is not 100% sport. Maybe 50% game/50% sport. It's not a silly comparison. The poster that I responded to made a similar comparison to golf. When you take my posts out of context, they will lose meaning. Here's my problem with calling golf a sport: athletes don't play the game. Tiger Woods is an athlete...he's one out of the whole world. If it is not required that you be an athlete to compete at a high level, it is not a sport.

According to your definiton of "vigorous bodily exertion carried on according to some traditional form or set of rules", bucking hay, chopping wood, and laying sewer pipe would qualify as "sports". You don't have to sweat profusely to be playing a sport!

That wasn't my definition...that was Webster's Universal Unabridged Dictionary's definition. I'm guessing that you didn't read my whole post. Does bucking hay, chopping wood, and laying sewer pipe have a traditional set of rules? NO! Therefore, it is not a sport. The definition requires that it fit both parts: "vigorous and having a set of rules."

Good job. You have summarized the differences well. It is amazing how much debate this subject generates in print and on golf forums, like this one. I believe the reason is this: some people who treat golf as a game do not want to admit that they get little exercise, and are often more overweight after the season than before. Those who treat golf as a competitive sport (as I do) work out, and are in excellent shape. My waist is the same size (32") as it was in high school and I am 60 years old, and 6 feet tall. To each their own.

Those who take chess very seriously work out as well. True story. Almost every competitive chess player works out (their body) to keep their mind sharp. I'm willing to say that golf is 50/50 game/sport. Exercise does not mean that you are playing a sport.

In my Ogio Ozone Bag:
TM Superquad 9.5* UST Proforce 77g Stiff
15* Sonartec SS-2.5 (Pershing stiff)
19* TM Burner (stock stiff)
4-U - PING i10 White dot, +1.25 inches, ZZ65 stiff shafts55*/11* Snake Eyes Form Forged (DGS300)60*/12* Snake Eyes Form Forged (DGS300)Ping i10 1/2 MoonTitleist ProV1

I actually looked up sport. "Such an activity requiring more or less vigorous bodily exertion and carried on according to some traditional form or set of rules."

Laying sewer pipe is carried on according to a set of rules and is vigorous activity....and chopping wood/bucking hay also meets the requirements of this definition (vigorous and traditional form).

Definitions are limited and one can make arguments either way. In my mind, golf is a sport and you think it isn't because you don't have to be athletic to play. We just have to agree to disagree.

Cleveland Classic XL 10.5 Rombax 6X07
Titleist 904F Aldila NV
Nickent 3DX hybrid

MX-25 irons & MP-R wedges

Odyssey #5

Leopold GX1/Skycaddie SG5

Sun Mountain Hybrid Bag

Laying sewer pipe is carried on according to a set of rules and is vigorous activity....and chopping wood/bucking hay also meets the requirements of this definition (vigorous and traditional form).

You're right. If you don't have to be athletic to be good, then it isn't a sport. Golf doesn't compare to any other real sports that I have played. Golf is different. When I get a spike in volleyball, everyone gets pumped. Your heart is pumping like crazy, your team is going nuts, etc. When I hit a long putt on a golf course, it's different. You don't get the same feeling.

I'm not saying that it is bad that golf isn't a sport. It's unlike any other game or sport that I have ever played. It's the best game on earth and I enjoy it more than many sports. However, it is different. We both know that laying sewer pipe is not a sport. You have to manipulate the definition for it to fit the category of "sport." Don't be silly; we all know what a sport is and isn't. Why is everyone so hellbent on saying that golf is a sport? Does it matter? Does it make you feel like less of a man (or woman) for admitting that it is a game? When you were a kid, you knew what sports were: baseball, basketball, football, etc. Did you ever think of golf as a sport?

In my Ogio Ozone Bag:
4-U - PING i10 White dot, +1.25 inches, ZZ65 stiff shafts55*/11* Snake Eyes Form Forged (DGS300)60*/12* Snake Eyes Form Forged (DGS300)Ping i10 1/2 MoonTitleist ProV1

Why is everyone so hellbent on saying that golf is a sport? Does it matter? Does it make you feel like less of a man (or woman) for admitting that it is a game? When you were a kid, you knew what sports were: baseball, basketball, football, etc.

Yes, to the question in bold.

And why are you so hell-bent on saying it isn't? Do you feel like more of a man for denigrating it? Precision target shooting is a sport. It certainly isn't a game. But it's very definitely a competition, which isn't necessarily contested by athletes. Softball can be played by 50 year old fat guys who drink beer and smoke. Guess softball isn't a sport. Also there is nothing in the definition of sport that says you have to get an adrenaline rush for it to qualify. Maybe YOU don't get a rush from draining a long putt, but most of us certainly do. Or from sticking a 150 yard 7I inside of 5 feet. You don't think that Tiger or Sergio is getting a rush when he does a fist pump? When I hole a putt for a birdie in a team competition, I guarantee you that we are all pumped, high fiving each other. Maybe YOU treat golf as a passive hobby, but I can tell you that I don't, nor do most of the guys I play with in my Men's Club. Just because you happen play other sports that require a greater degree of vigorous activity doesn't automatically disqualify golf from the role of sport in any but your own mind. All sports do NOT require that a participant be a highly tuned athlete. I've named several... certain forms of hunting, fishing, softball. Just because the people who participate in those forms aren't necessarily athletes it doesn't disqualify an activity from being a sport. I've made my point, but like I said in my first post, it isn't going to change anyone's mind. I've seen discussions on this a half dozen times in the past. You will never change the minds of those purists who seem to feel threatened if anyone has the temerity to call golf a sport. So I'm out of this discussion unless someone actually comes up with a new twist (unlikely), or I'm asked a specific question. You have a happy New Year playing hobby golf and I'll have a good one playing sport golf.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Yes, to the question in bold.

Don't get me wrong: I love golf. I would rather play golf than basketball or volleyball. Why in the world would I not want to accept it as a sport? There's no reason at all! Why would I feel threatened if golf is called a sport?

Seriously though, when was the last time you played a competitive sport (i.e.-basketball, football, soccer, volleyball, etc.)? At a high level (varsity HS or college)? There's a major difference between adrenaline rushes in golf and those other sports. I'm a two-sport varsity athlete. There's a HUGE difference b/t golf and volleyball/basketball. When you get pumped, it's just different. I can't explain it, but it's different. Hunting and fishing aren't sports either. They're in the same category as golf and Nascar. They should get their own category. They're not the same as other sports. Sports require that you be an athlete. It is what I think a sport is. By saying that 50 year old guys play softball (a sport) and drink beer doesn't change what I think. They're just messing around...they're not playing a sport. Any professional softball or baseball player could not compete if they drank beer while playing. In golf, it helps to be athletic. If you can swing harder, etc. then you can be better. However, in basketball, football, etc. you HAVE TO BE athletic. It is impossible to compete at a high level if you are not athletic. Impossible! This is why golf isn't a sport; you don't have to be athletic to be good. There are tons of golfers who are better than me. I doubt that many of them are better than me at basketball or volleyball. Some are, but they are athletic. Most of the golfers that I have seen are not athletes by any stretch. Here's what I want everyone to try: smoke or drink while you play golf. Then, smoke and drink while you play basketball (not on the sidelines - in the game). I bet that you can't do it in basketball.

In my Ogio Ozone Bag:

It's funny. I posted the link to the article not really expecting people would even respond much. I did it just because it addressed a couple subjects that had been recent topics on here (walking vs. riding; carrying vs. caddy vs. push cart and scoring).

From the study that was conducted of which this article is a summary, they say golf is a 'sport' based on the amount of physical exertion. From that article:
So, is golf a sport?

Answer: It certainly is A sport, but probably not The Only sport you would need to play if you really want to get fit. But getting fit on the treadmill or in the weight room will definitely diminish fatigue on the golf course and, in turn, help you play better.

``The study shows there's significant energy expenditure in golf, more than bowling and some other sports it's been compared to,'' Wolkodoff said. ``There are a lot of sports that don't have this level of energy expenditure.''
Personally, I think it's a sport, but honestly I don't care what anyone else thinks it is. Sport, hobby, waste of time and money... - it's all of those and more in some people's opinions, but their opinion doesn't mean anything to me or impact me in anyway. Is anyone going to stop playing because 'The Institute for Sports Definition' steps in and say "It's not a sport"? I'm going to continue to enjoy it (most of the time) and play even if people say it's just an implement of torture.
Driver: SQ DYMO STR8-Fit
4 Wood: SQ DYMO
2H (17*), 4H (23*) & 5H (26*): Fli-Hi CLK
Irons (5-6): MX-900; (7-PW): MP-60
Wedges (51/6*): MP-T Chrome; (56/13): MP-R ChromePutter: White Hot XG 2-Ball CSPreferred Ball: e5+/e7+/B330-RXGPS Unit: NEOPush Cart: 2.0

Seriously though, when was the last time you played a competitive sport (i.e.-basketball, football, soccer, volleyball, etc.)? At a high level (varsity HS or college)? There's a major difference between adrenaline rushes in golf and those other sports. I'm a two-sport varsity athlete. There's a HUGE difference b/t golf and volleyball/basketball. When you get pumped, it's just different. I can't explain it, but it's different.

I played travel hockey all through my childhood and highschool, then some club hockey in college, and I still play. I have also played a fair share of baseball, track, and other "sports." All of them give me slightly different adrenaline rushes... but all DO give me that sensation, just in different ways.

Here's what I want everyone to try: smoke or drink while you play golf. Then, smoke and drink while you play basketball (not on the sidelines - in the game). I bet that you can't do it in basketball.

Professional baseball players HAVE drank and smoked while playing... and this really isn't some magic formula to solve the problem either.

However, in basketball, football, etc. you HAVE TO BE athletic. It is impossible to compete at a high level if you are not athletic.

Not true at all... many golfers are every much as an athlete as some linemen, shotput throwers, bicylers, etc., etc.

Here's what I know... schools have golf "SPORTS" programs... both colleges and high schools when I buy a golf book/magazine... it's in the sports section ESPN covers golf the swing IS an athletic move
My Clubs: Callaway FT-i Tour LCG 9.5° w/ Matrix Ozik Xcon 6 stiff; Sonartec GS Tour 14° w/ Graphite Design Red Ice 70 stiff; Adams Idea Pro 2h(18°) & 3h(20°) w/ Aldila VS Proto 80 stiff; Adams Idea Pro Forged 4-PW w/ TT Black Gold stiff; Cleveland CG12 DSG RTG 52°-10° & 58°-10°; Odyssey...

Golf is life! simple but truth to my good friend, James and I.

Titleist 910 D2 9.5 Driver
Titleist 910 F15 & 21 degree fairway wood
Titleist 910 hybrid 24 degree
Mizuno Mp33 5 - PW
52/1056/1160/5

"Yonex ADX Blade putter, odyssey two ball blade putter, both  33"

ProV-1

By definition golf is a sport, as said earlier a sport is defined as an activity with set boundaries (rules) with a competitive nature and physical activity.

Any one who says the golf swing is not physical is foolish.

However the level of fitness required for golf only really becomes an issue at elite level, are you telling me the top 20 golfers in the world don't train like athletes?

In my opinion it shows a certain level of ignorance to say golf is not a sport.

In my Ping UCLAN Team Bag

Nike Sasqautch 9.5 - V2 Stiff
Cleveland HiBore 15 - V2 Stiff
Ben Hogan Apex FTX, 2 - PW - Dynamic Gold StiffNike SV Tour 52, 58 - Dynamic Golf StiffYes Golf Callie - 33 inchesBall - Srixon Z star X

Note: This thread is 2562 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!