IGNORED

Pay for modifications or just get new irons?

Note: This thread is 3696 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Just looking for some opinions/advice. So I have a set of MP-59s that I have been playing for almost 2 years. They are great clubs and I've been quite happy with them. Problem is that I have been working really hard on my swing and have made a lot of progress. As the swing gets better and better, it's becoming clear that different shafts would benefit my game. Another issue is that the fitter I used when I bought the clubs didn't do a very good job. He said that standard lie would be fine, however, it turns out I need the clubs bent 1-1.5 degrees upright. It's also time to re-grip.

So my question is if you were in a similar position would you pay for the upgrades/mods on the current set or just get a new fitted set of irons?

Unless you want a different head for some reason, I'd just do the math.  If the cost for everything you want to do is within $100 or so of the cost of new......spec'd the way you want, I'd buy new.  If it's less, go with the makeover.

2 years certainly hasn't put enough wear on the club heads to justify spending much more......again, unless there's a specific club head you want in place of the MP 59's.

• Upvote 1

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Just looking for some opinions/advice. So I have a set of MP-59s that I have been playing for almost 2 years. They are great clubs and I've been quite happy with them. Problem is that I have been working really hard on my swing and have made a lot of progress. As the swing gets better and better, it's becoming clear that different shafts would benefit my game. Another issue is that the fitter I used when I bought the clubs didn't do a very good job. He said that standard lie would be fine, however, it turns out I need the clubs bent 1-1.5 degrees upright. It's also time to re-grip.

So my question is if you were in a similar position would you pay for the upgrades/mods on the current set or just get a new fitted set of irons?

Most places will bend a club for a few dollars per club. Then, your typical grip+installation cost is usually the cost of the grip + $2-3 installtion per club ($10-14 per club max). You're probably looking at $18 per club for both the grip and lie adjustment so you're well under $200 there. You can probably find the shafts you're looking for online as well in a bundle as well. I'm not sure what you're looking at, but I've found KBS Tour C Taper shafts in 3-PW for around $250-300. So, you're now tipping the scale towards approximately $500 total assuming you're looking for a quality shaft in the KBS/PX line.

Just remember that modifications to lie are covered when you purchase clubs at a big box, but the shafts will consist of an upgrade charge and so will the grips, so you could be near $1000 when all is said and done.

Personally, I'd modify your existing clubs because 2 years of typical wear on a club face is nothing and you'd save a lot of money.

• Upvote 1

Thanks David and Spyder. I was pretty much thinking that it would just come down to a numbers game and it definitely makes more sense to modify the existing. I just wanted to confirm that it was the right move to invest more money in the current set.

Any idea of the typical cost for a place to pull and re-shaft irons?

Thanks David and Spyder. I was pretty much thinking that it would just come down to a numbers game and it definitely makes more sense to modify the existing. I just wanted to confirm that it was the right move to invest more money in the current set.

Here is GolfSmith's service "menu" which includes costs of regripping and reshafting: http://www.golfsmith.com/display?page=cm_lp_cm_services

If you really like the clubs themselves (and considering that they aren't that old), I wouldn't go out and buy new ones. I would stick with your current irons and do the reshafting, regripping, and modifications. No sense in buying a whole new set when they aren't even that old.

I had the same problem but my amp cells are only one year old. Being the cheap guy I am I didn't change anything. I'll wait a couple years then go to some better irons like your mizunos. Personally if I did it over again I would just buy new ones But if you buy totally new ones it will cost to get a good shaft in them but also you could sell your current set for a solid price.

Not so sure of that. If you're putting $500 into an update to y our existing irons, I'm guessing you could get another$200 in trade on the 59's, you're almost all the way there. If you legit want to keep the 59's, update them, but if this is driven at all by a desire to get new sticks, take a hard look at it. The last thing you want to do is spend the $500 and still have an urge to get new clubs

• Upvote 1

Not so sure of that. If you're putting $500 into an update to y our existing irons, I'm guessing you could get another$200 in trade on the 59's, you're almost all the way there. If you legit want to keep the 59's, update them, but if this is driven at all by a desire to get new sticks, take a hard look at it. The last thing you want to do is spend the $500 and still have an urge to get new clubs

This is definitely the flip-side of modifying your existing clubs. If you have any doubts, just get new clubs. I only broke down the math as we do not know your personal budget or feelings towards your old clubs.

If you can live without the luster of "new", use the money you save on balls, another new club, a new wedge (or 2), shoes, shirts, or something else. In my opinion, you get more bang for the buck by keeping your existing clubs.

This is definitely the flip-side of modifying your existing clubs. If you have any doubts, just get new clubs. I only broke down the math as we do not know your personal budget or feelings towards your old clubs.

If you can live without the luster of "new", use the money you save on balls, another new club, a new wedge (or 2), shoes, shirts, or something else. In my opinion, you get more bang for the buck by keeping your existing clubs.

Man you guys are good. It's like you can read my mind. I do really like the MP-59s. They are great clubs....BUT I don't really have any budget constraints and a new combo set of Titleist 714 CBs (3-6) and MBs (7-P) might look real nice in the bag. Got some thinking to do.

Man you guys are good. It's like you can read my mind. I do really like the MP-59s. They are great clubs....BUT I don't really have any budget constraints and a new combo set of Titleist 714 CBs (3-6) and MBs (7-P) might look real nice in the bag. Got some thinking to do.

Hell, I'll push you over the edge and change my stance. Go buy new clubs! With no budget constraints, I would definitely encourage you to buy something new and have it built to fit you. :beer:

Yep, those would look good in anyone's bag!

Reshafting is kind of a losing battle unless you do the work yourself but, adjusting lie and re-gripping is definitely cheaper than new clubs. Like others said, depends on whether you want new clubs or just want your existing clubs to fit you better.

Tons of stories out there about guys who bought new clubs and ended up lamenting the loss of their old, trusty set!

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Bad influences! All of you!

Just when I was thinking I'll throw in a set of KBS C-Tapers and be done with it.

I always swore I wouldn't become a club ho. :whistle:

Note: This thread is 3696 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!