IGNORED

Changing setup based on course

Note: This thread is 3690 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I've thought about this while couped up in these polar vortex's (vortexi...?). The thought is changing club arraignments, mostly the wedges but not restricted to them depending on course conditions. For example dropping a 56 and 60 to add a 58 and 64 if the greens are rolling fast.  Or replacing a 3 hybrid for a 5 wood in high wind conditions. Is it best to learn 13 clubs and not change setup, or to learn say 17 or 20 and alternate?

NIke VRS covert

Mini driver 14 degree

Nike covert 5 wood

taylormade sldr 4 hybrid

Taylormade Rocketballz Irons:  6-aw

Taylormade atv  56,60,64

Jpl Putter

Nxt tour s yellow

If you know you play more clubs more often, especially in the long iron to hybrid range. Of course it might be beneficial to put in clubs you might actually end up hitting than not. Lets say you never hit a 5 wood, but you might hit a few 3 hybrids. Swap out the 5 wood. Knowing the course is all apart of game management.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

If you vary your mix, make sure you decide which 14 clubs you want before you head for pre-round warmup. You don't want to end up with a 15th club, and incur the penalties.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

(It's vortices. Lots of people have butchered the plural form this winter since they overthink it but since it's a latin based word we use the latin ending. But since we are actually speaking English we can say vortexes as well. Same thing with Octopi, octopus is a greek word but people insist on the latin ending for the plural form. Insisting on using octopi is pedantic and also wrong, but either octopodes or octopuses is correct.)

I don't really consider the 64 an important club, and hybrids and woods are basically the same in my book. The fairways will be a bit longer and higher if all things are equal in terms of the strike, but I think hybrids are more consistent and better in general.

It basically comes down to what conditions and courses you typically play and whether you have the time and desire to practice with 18 clubs or whatever. I sure as hell do, but I'm better off not focusing on fine tuning a ton of different clubs. And forget about how complicated the short game can get with 4 wedges; not to mention distance control can be tough when you change wedges. In terms of the long game,

As for using different clubs for changing trajectory, I don't like the idea. I can hit different shots with my current clubs; if I can't hit it low enough to cut through the wind then I can't hit it well enough to play it. If I can't hit it high enough to stop reasonably on greens then I don't bother with it in the first place, especially with wedges; your woods obviously aren't . But in case of wind or unusual conditions, all your clubs are affected pretty equally which means if you have consistent gaps and trajectory, you can offset anything the conditions do by changing your club and shot. There's also adjustability, which lets you lower or raise trajectory a bit and I would consider doing so with my long clubs, though none of mine are adjustable besides my driver.

Right now I have a driver, strong 3, 15 and 17 degree hybrids, 3-PW, GW, SW, LW, and putter, as well as a blade I use for practice and because it is really nice. I game the driver, 3w, 17, 3-PW and 54 and 60 degree wedges, and it gaps almost perfectly; in fact I could play decent golf last year with only odd numbered irons.

Basically I have no major reason to put in the blade, 15 degree, or GW and I don't need more than one club of each loft (such as 18 degree hybrid, wood, and iron), though the GW and SW sort of overlap; I could bend my irons stronger in the future and drop the SW for the GW and either add another sand wedge at 56 at the cost of a wood slot or I could carry just the 17 degree and add a specialty club or something. The trouble with the whole setup is that all my favorite clubs are locked in and I'd have to ditch or bend them to get the same beautiful gaps. The 17 degree, 3i, PW, LW form the basis of my set so any attempt to throw in a 2 iron or wedge would destroy everything.

The one interesting thought that occurred to me is that the 3 clubs I kick from my bag to get down to 14 make a perfect minimalist set; 15 degree hybrid, blade 6 iron, and 52 degree wedge. I'll definitely play a few rounds with just those as an experiment.

In My Bag:

Adams Super LS 9.5˚ driver, Aldila Phenom NL 65TX
Adams Super LS 15˚ fairway, Kusala black 72x
Adams Super LS 18˚ fairway, Aldila Rip'd NV 75TX
Adams Idea pro VST hybrid, 21˚, RIP Alpha 105x
Adams DHY 24˚, RIP Alpha 89x
5-PW Maltby TE irons, KBS C taper X, soft stepped once 130g
Mizuno T4, 54.9 KBS Wedge X
Mizuno R12 60.5, black nickel, KBS Wedge X
Odyssey Metal X #1 putter 
Bridgestone E5, Adidas samba bag, True Linkswear Stealth

I do change my set up depending on course. Generally, I have to choose 1 out of a strong 3 wood, 4 wood, 2 iron, and 3 hybrid. Typically the choice is based on what I hit off the tee on that particular course. I've even played with a strong 3 and 3 hybrid, but no driver.

Tyler Martin

Not anymore but I tried. Really don't have the game for it. In the end I found versatile wedges were enough. Everything else is ordinary, don't need more than D-4w-7w-4i on the tee.

Dave :-)

I don't change based on conditions but I do change when I notice a trend ...

E.G - I just took my 3 wood out of my bag and added a 5th wedge (64*) ... Reasoning: I almost never hit 3W & have trouble 100 yards and in ...

I've thought about this while couped up in these polar vortex's (vortexi...?). The thought is changing club arraignments, mostly the wedges but not restricted to them depending on course conditions. For example dropping a 56 and 60 to add a 58 and 64 if the greens are rolling fast.  Or replacing a 3 hybrid for a 5 wood in high wind conditions. Is it best to learn 13 clubs and not change setup, or to learn say 17 or 20 and alternate?

I think you may be getting way ahead of yourself right now, being a 36 cap tells me other than a putter your not really hitting anything consistent enough yet to start changing the configuration of your set for specific courses, usually players in + ranges and a few scratch players will start to do this. I could never recommend a 64* wedge to almost anyone not named Phil it's just such a limited club and a 58* at "OUR" level is usually plenty. Carry the clubs you have the most success with now and for a long time and if you do reach those levels in playing ability then there you go in fact at that level you will know enough to not need to ask on a golf forum.

Rich C.

Driver Titleist 915 D3  9.5*
3 Wood TM RBZ stage 2 tour  14.5*
2 Hybrid Cobra baffler 17*
4Hybrid Adams 23*
Irons Adams CB2's 5-GW
Wedges 54* and 58* Titleist vokey
Putter Scotty Cameron square back 2014
Ball Srixon Zstar optic yellow
bushnell V2 slope edition

K thnks for the advice. I have a small practice area downstairs so I've been able to practice pitching and chipping with the 64 and other wedges. Can't get an idea of distance but know I'm not blading it. But with that said I think I'm not going worry about changing setup week to week. Now finding a decent setup for the year is a different story...

NIke VRS covert

Mini driver 14 degree

Nike covert 5 wood

taylormade sldr 4 hybrid

Taylormade Rocketballz Irons:  6-aw

Taylormade atv  56,60,64

Jpl Putter

Nxt tour s yellow

Note: This thread is 3690 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!