IGNORED

Taylor Made R1, what colour should I choose?

Note: This thread is 3683 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. Smokey black colour (like in the pic) or Piano black colour (shiny black)

• Smokey black
    • Piano black

I just wanted to say that this driver is the best I have used, but I hated the R1 brands and stripes on it, so I painted it pure black. Easy job and worth it :)

Im just wondering what you guys think about the black colour.

Should I have it like it is, sandblasted smokey black or should I do it ''piano black'' shiny?

If I go for the final shiny layer, there is NO RETURN :)

Id leave it. What did you paint it with?

I used 3 layers heat resistant black matte paint on spray can. This is the same paint you will use to restore fireplaces and so. Thing with this is that is really scratch resistant and it also gives the ''sandblown'' finish but I am a little unsure about making it shiny black .Now it's almost the same as the Ping i20 2013.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not a huge fan of drivers with a high gloss finish, so I'd stick with the matte personally. But the question is: which do you typically prefer?

Tyler Martin

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I'm not a huge fan of drivers with a high gloss finish, so I'd stick with the matte personally. But the question is: which do you typically prefer?

Yes, I did it with high gloss first, using a glossy finishing layer over the black in the first post. Did not like it when it was sunny, so I did it over again and now it is like the one in the picture. Matte is best. I kind of liked the orginal white colour on the R1, but it had to big problems.

- The white paint was not good at all, it got scratches just by looking at it.

- The logos on the top is not good, better if they did it clean like the R11s.

Im also arguing with Taylor Made about a Spider Blade putter, the paint on this putter is really bad quality, it tears way to easy, even if you threat it with care :(

Thinking about doing the putter black to....

I just wanted to say that this driver is the best I have used, but I hated the R1 brands and stripes on it, so I painted it pure black. Easy job and worth it :)

Im just wondering what you guys think about the black colour.

Should I have it like it is, sandblasted smokey black or should I do it ''piano black'' shiny?

If I go for the final shiny layer, there is NO RETURN :)

I bought the Black one myself.....and that looks badass. Kinda wish I did the same thing.

In my :tmade: Burner Golf Bag

:tmade:R1 Black Driver 10.5 degrees

:tmade:RBZ 3-Wood

:tmade:Burner Superfast 2.0 3-hybrid

:tmade:Burner 2.0 irons 4-PW, AW, SW, LW

:tmade:Spiderblade putter

:adidas:Audizero Golf shoes

Calling @WUTiger , how did 3 coats of spray paint change the swing weight of this driver.....?

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Sorry, no firsthand knowledge on this.

I did find a thread on repaints in GolfWRX.com. Rough estimate: each coat would add about 1/2 swingweight point.

• One person recommended three coats of color and three coats of clear.
  • Another person suggested taking the driver to an auto body shop and have them do it.

You might contact Ralph Maltby's www.GolfWorks.com crew and see if they know. GW refinishes metal wood heads. You can call them at 1-800-848-8358.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Sorry, no firsthand knowledge on this.

I did find a thread on repaints in GolfWRX.com. Rough estimate: each coat would add about 1/2 swingweight point.

One person recommended three coats of color and three coats of clear.

Another person suggested taking the driver to an auto body shop and have them do it.

You might contact Ralph Maltby's www.GolfWorks.com crew and see if they know. GW refinishes metal wood heads. You can call them at 1-800-848-8358.

As an OLD painter, you do NOT need 3 coats of clear. 1 if done properly will do.

I wonder if powder coating could be done on a driver? I don't know much about it but the only drawback I can see is if a driver head can be baked without messing it up.

I wonder if powder coating could be done on a driver?

I don't know much about it but the only drawback I can see is if a driver head can be baked without messing it up.

Yeah, I wouldn't want to chance sending a driver through a powder coating process.

Would either make a really nice finish or a glob of warped up metal. ;-) Volunteers to be the Guinea pig? Ha ha! Edit: Well after a Google search it appears it can be done, but I'm not sure how much expertise it takes, and it's expensive to have someone else do it.

Note: This thread is 3683 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!