IGNORED

My First Florida Golfing Trip

boogielicious
Note: This thread is 3664 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I just returned from a four day golf trip to Florida, Cocoa Beach and Orlando with a close friend of mine.  This was my first time golfing in Florida and I had a lot of fun.  It was interesting to play on different type of grass and rough that I am used to as well.  Below was the trip.

Tuesday PM - Played the Savannahs on Merritt Island, $55 with cart.  Nice course, but lots and lots of water.  Plenty of wild life too including Osprey and of course, gators.  We saw an Osprey on 18 in a tree eating a fish.  Fairways were nice and greens were in okay shape but a bit slow (8 at most).  The rough around the green was a different grass I have not seen before that was tough to pitch and chip out of.  Even with pitches, the club would either get stuck or unearth dirt/sand beneath.  I took a while to get used to.  We hadn't golfed since before Thanksgiving, so this was probably not the course to start on.  I brought all my used balls and lost a few on this course.  I was the most stiff after this round.

Wednesday AM - Baytree National in Melbourne, $59 with cart - Semi-private.  We had a sunrise tee time.  The course layout was nice and had some difficult sections and more water.  The only disappointing thing was the greens.  They looked to be in either tough shape or the winter grass was dying and the spring grass had not grown in yet.  Very bumpy with bare patches.  We missed seeing Tim Wakefield, former Red Sox knuckleballer by a couple of minutes.  I, of course, had my Sox hat on for the trip.  We flew through this one because we played behind some members.  The whole round was 3:15.

Wednesday PM - Mallards Landing in Melbourne, $25 with cart.  Inexpensive Muni.  Fairways were decent for the most part, but the greens were better than Baytree.  The back nine was in great shape.  Not a lot of water.  We got poured on at the 8th and had to sit out for 1/2 hour until the storms cleared.  This round it where my putting started to really gel.  I made a lot of one putts.

Thursday AM (my 54th birthday!) - Turtle Creek in Rockledge, $33 with cart.  By far the best deal of the trip.  Nicely maintained course with new greens that were running 9-10 and in great shape.  Almost made a 60 footer that lipped out.  I was surprised that my body was not stiff or tired from the 36 the day before (first time doing 36).  I played really well on the back nine and almost beat my friend who usually plays 4 strokes better than me.  The course has some water, but also a lot of pine trees between fairways that make the landing areas narrow.

Friday AM - Forest Lake in Ocoee - $47.  Nicest overall course of the trip.  Great greens running at 10.  There was some water, but the course is more set up for waste area and dog leg type hazards.  The rough was some other grass on top of sand.  It almost played like a sand shot out of it.  I had my best round of the trip and was putting lights out.  I made a 40 footer with 50+ inches of break for par on one hole.  I also played the best back nine of the trip with a 38.  Best shot of the trip was a 180 yard uphill into the wind shot with a 4 wood to within 10 feet! :dance: Missed the putt right :-\ .

I will write reviews of these courses in the Course section.  All in all, a nice trip.  Folks at the courses were very nice and so were the other golfers.  We seemed to be playing with more retirees than tourists. We played as a twosome each round because the courses were busy.  Now we have to wait a good month and a half before we play again. :-(

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

@boogielicious did you play the Cocoa Beach muni? I can't remember what it is called. It is almost like an island built out onto the sound. I played there a long time ago. I was 14 and it was when I was down there playing in a national baseball tournament. If I remember it was not a great course but kind of a cool spot.

Nate

:pxg:(10.5) :benhogan:(4W):titleist:U500(3UI) :benhogan: Icon(4-PW) :edel:(52/58)

:odyssey:Putter :snell: MTB Black  

Nice write-up. Too bad you didn't get to see James over at Reunion :-( but I understand that this trip was much more a "play golf" trip than a "practice golf" trip, if you know what I mean.

Try not to wait another 54 years before making another Florida trip!

And Happy Belated :beer:

Constantine

Cool trip and Happy Birthday!

Yeah next time you're in Orlando, make sure to stop by and see James :-)

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

You didn't call? Next time send a note and I'll grab a buddy and we'll play! Glad you had a good time! :beer:

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

You didn't call? Next time send a note and I'll grab a buddy and we'll play! Glad you had a good time! :beer:

I'm doing this if/next time I go to Florida.

Colin P.

I'm doing this if/next time I go to Florida.

If you don't, I will drive up there and kick your Tiger luvin' ass! :-)

In David's bag....

If you don't, I will drive up there and kick your Tiger luvin' ass! :-)

You know me and Tiger, we're lovers, not fighters!

Colin P.

You know me and Tiger, we're lovers, not fighters!

Yeah, you can tell that from watching him play the last couple of weeks! :-$

In David's bag....

@boogielicious did you play the Cocoa Beach muni? I can't remember what it is called. It is almost like an island built out onto the sound. I played there a long time ago. I was 14 and it was when I was down there playing in a national baseball tournament. If I remember it was not a great course but kind of a cool spot.

My friend picked the courses.  He was there with the Navy back in the '80s.  Next time I will look that up.

Nice write-up. Too bad you didn't get to see James over at Reunion  but I understand that this trip was much more a "play golf" trip than a "practice golf" trip, if you know what I mean.

Try not to wait another 54 years before making another Florida trip!

And Happy Belated

Next time definitely. I still need a lot of work to improve.

You didn't call?

Next time send a note and I'll grab a buddy and we'll play!

Glad you had a good time!

Next time definitely. :beer: It was a last minute trip.

Scott

My Swing Thread

My first Florida golf trip.............oh boy, what a trip!

I lived in Columbus OH at the time...........my golf buddies and I had to get out of the snow to play!!   It was a bad winter circa winter of 1995-1996.  At first we looked at Tennessee....no good!..it was freezing in TN.  Then we looked at Georgia, it was cold there too!!............the extended forecast was 40 degrees in Myrtle beach too!  Screw that!!!!!!!!!!!

A light bulb turned on............................let's fly to south Florida for a long weekend!!!   My wife was cool with the golf trip with the guys, until Florida!! When Florida came up, she wanted some of THAT!!  The golf trip with the guys never happened.....................my wife and I took an unplanned 1 week trip to south Florida. We decided to drive, and left during a level 1 snow emergency.  I bought a new car the week before so we had new wheels for the road trip............We spent our first night in Atlanta, and they experienced record lows with wind chills below zero.........LOL

We finally did make it to south Florida on day 2...............during the week, I played early 4 days......after that was quality time.   Good memories.........this was before we had kids. This was our last trip before kids.......

What's in Paul's Bag:
- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Driver
- Big Bertha Alpha 815 3-wood
- Callaway Razr Fit 5-wood
- Callaway Big Bertha 4-5 Rescue Clubs
-- Mizuno Mx-25 six iron-gap wedge
- Mizuno Mp-T4 56degree SW
- Mizuno Mp-T11 60degree SW
- Putter- Ping Cadence Ketsch

My first Florida golf trip.............oh boy, what a trip!

I lived in Columbus OH at the time...........my golf buddies and I had to get out of the snow to play!!   It was a bad winter circa winter of 1995-1996.  At first we looked at Tennessee....no good!..it was freezing in TN.  Then we looked at Georgia, it was cold there too!!............the extended forecast was 40 degrees in Myrtle beach too!  Screw that!!!!!!!!!!!

A light bulb turned on............................let's fly to south Florida for a long weekend!!!   My wife was cool with the golf trip with the guys, until Florida!! When Florida came up, she wanted some of THAT!!  The golf trip with the guys never happened.....................my wife and I took an unplanned 1 week trip to south Florida. We decided to drive, and left during a level 1 snow emergency.  I bought a new car the week before so we had new wheels for the road trip............We spent our first night in Atlanta, and they experienced record lows with wind chills below zero.........LOL

We finally did make it to south Florida on day 2...............during the week, I played early 4 days......after that was quality time.   Good memories.........this was before we had kids. This was our last trip before kids.......

I did hear it from the wife on this trip.  She plays golf, but is not really interested in a golf only vacation.  We usually take a vacation in the winter to the Caribbean, but this year my son is in college, so we did not.  Next year we definitely will go again.  I think I can convince her to bring the clubs.  Even my son plays now, so we could have some golf mixed in.

Scott

My Swing Thread

My reviews:

• Upvote 1

Scott

My Swing Thread

Great reviews @boogielicious .  I will be in the Anna Maria Island/Bradenton area later this week and next week.  I will play a couple courses there and do some reviews as well if I can.

Nate

:pxg:(10.5) :benhogan:(4W):titleist:U500(3UI) :benhogan: Icon(4-PW) :edel:(52/58)

:odyssey:Putter :snell: MTB Black  

Thanks @cipher !  I think reviews really help.

Scott

My Swing Thread

Note: This thread is 3664 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!