IGNORED

2014 FIFA World Cup Thread

jamo
Note: This thread is 3594 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Was on a flight so I missed the game, was casually checking it every ten minutes and I almost shit my pants when it went from 1-0 to 5-0

Riley

From r/soccer

NotSoFastMister 2648 points

Germany, in this game:

• Made themselves the top scoring team in the WC history (taking the top spot from Brazil)

• Equaled Brazil's worst ever defeat (6:0, back in 1920, against Uruguay)

• Achieved the biggest ever victory in WC semi-finals (last one was 6:1)

• Made Klose the top scorer in WC history (taking over the top spot from Ronaldo)

• Scored 4 goals in 6 minutes & 5 under 29 (credit /u/FaceTheTruthBiatch ). No team has ever done that in WC.

• Scored as many goals as Brazil conceded in their previous 9 World Cup final games combined

• Bestowed Brazil their first official defeat at home since 1975. (credit /u/afterallhuman )

• Became the team with most appearances in World Cup Finals at 8, after being tied with Brazil at 7. (credit /u/dezmodez )

dezmodez 567 points

Additionally, Brazil and Germany were tied with most appearances in World Cup Finals at 7. Germany now holds the top spot at 8.

hazebuster 3257 points

THE GOAL LIST WAS SCROLLING

[–] Warranty_V0id 1525 points

DESPITE THE FACT THAT PLAYERS SCORED MORE THAN ONE GOAL!

Yes, you read that right, 7 not a 1.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

So we were not even that far from the truth regarding the special build underground footballmachine factory. http://www.sporttechie.com/2014/06/15/germany-built-their-own-base-camp-in-brazil-for-the-world-cup/

Who's going to face Germany in the final: Argentina or the Dutch? For the sake of having a competitive final match, I hope the Netherlands win it. Everything Argentina does on the field revolves around Lionel Messi; if Germany is able to embarrass Portugal and Brazil teams who were also built around single playmakers (granted, when those players were injured), I don't think even a healthy Messi at his absolute best could carry his team past Germany in the final. The Dutch don't have a player of Messi's caliber, but they do have more options. That probably would make them a better matchup.

In my UnderArmour Links stand bag...

Driver: '07 Burner 9.5° (stiff graphite shaft)
    Woods: SasQuatch 17° 4-Wood (stiff graphite shaft)
    Hybrid: 4DX Ironwood 20° (stiff graphite shaft)Irons/Wedges: Apex Edge 3-PW, GW, SW (stiff shaft); Carnoustie 60° LWPutter: Rossa AGSI+ Corzina...

I'm strapped in and ready to go... Had my dinner and eating a sweet called kinafa while drinking my Dunkin coffee! I don't really like the Dutch for this one, but agree that Argentina is over their head with their one man attack.. Another 5 - 0 performance? Wouldn't that be funny?

:adams: / :tmade: / :edel: / :aimpoint: / :ecco: / :bushnell: / :gamegolf: / 

Eyad

Support anybody against Argentina, but suspect they'll win this in extra time

This ain't a great Argie team, but they press better than any of their previous teams I've seen which makes them difficult to play against as they're essentially based around getting behind the ball and closing you down quickly from ahigh line in midfield

Down goes Mascherano! Down goes Mascherano!

Hybrid: 4DX Ironwood 20° (stiff graphite shaft)Irons/Wedges: Apex Edge 3-PW, GW, SW (stiff shaft); Carnoustie 60° LWPutter: Rossa AGSI+ Corzina...

Well, things are looking good for the Argentinians right now.. Can they keep it up?

Eyad

Well, things are looking good for the Argentinians right now.. Can they keep it up?

It feels like the Dutch are biding their time right now. They have the strength in numbers, and all they need to worry about right now is keeping Messi from getting through their back line on the counter-attack.

[quote name="Abu3baid" url="/t/73308/2014-fifa-world-cup-thread/1050#post_1017767"]Well, things are looking good for the Argentinians right now.. Can they keep it up?

It feels like the Dutch are biding their time right now. They have the strength in numbers.[/quote] At one moment I saw like 6 or 7 back.. Is it their style to be more of a counter attack team though? Playing for penalties might not be smart especially since messi can strike at any moment.

Eyad

At one moment I saw like 6 or 7 back.. Is it their style to be more of a counter attack team though? Playing for penalties might not be smart especially since messi can strike at any moment.

They wore Spain down in the first match of the tournament with this strategy. Let the Argentines do the work right now.

They play a back 3, so they defend a high line from midfield. Traditionally they've been Europe's purest footballing team, albeit of late they've been more physical and tended to betray those principles of the Cruyff, Rep, Resenbrink, Krol or Van Basten, Guillit, & Rijkaerd teams

They play a back 3, so they defend a high line from midfield. Traditionally they've been Europe's purest footballing team, albeit of late they've been more physical and tended to betray those principles of the Cruyff, Rep, Resenbrink, Krol or Van Basten, Guillit, & Rijkaerd teams

It hasn't exactly paid off for the Dutch to play rough in the last two World Cups. There's been nothing of that sort today, thankfully.

Most people would normally regard getting to a final as a decent return

It is explicitly that final which I am referring to.

Pffff we are not doing a good thing with the passing. The yellow card of Bruno martes indi was total bullshit imo. It only was a yellow card because well Messi can't loose the ball himself now can he? Sneijder got kicked really hard and that guy didn't get anything? And I'd like to see the replay of Robbens offside in de first part of the match. Really funny we didn't get that one in replay with the nice blue computer line, ain't it? This ain't a real neutral opinion I guess

BBC says Krul practicing at halftime. I hope we don't see him.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Note: This thread is 3594 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!