Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
David L Yskes

just moved to Battle Creek, Michigan

5 posts in this topic

hey , so i just moved to battle creek, michigan because of a job.. i've heard and seen there are plenty of golf courses around here since i drive a lot... but dont know of any of the names or places of any of them...

my friend adam told me Binder Golf Course is pretty nice... but idk  its still early and grass is still brown lol..     but just looking to set up a list of places to play...   basically anything up to a price range of 60$ per round, maybe even 75$ ...

I do like a challenge too.. so the tougher the course the better...

Want to get rid of this advertisement? Sign up (or log in) today! It's free!

Check out Gull Lake in nearby Augusta, MI.  Stonehenge North and South and also Yarrow Golf Club.  Great little golf Mecca and destination for golf trips.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

There are a lot of choices, most for less than the $60-$75 round - considering in 1/2 hour you can be in Kalamazoo or Jackson.

Here is something you really want to remember - the Oakland Hills that you might see near Battle Creek is not THE Oakland Hills, one is a very plain public course right on I-94, the other (Oakland Hills Country Club) is a very elite private course only about 2 hours away.

I'll second the Gull Lake courses, I play them every year and they are very nice, along with Bedford Valley. The Grande in Jackson is a really nice course and not all that far from you. Plenty of good options anywhere in this state. This will help

http://michigan.twoguyswhogolf.com/reviews/michigan_golf_course_reviews.html

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Want to join this community?

We'd love to have you!

• 2016 TST Partners

GAME Golf
    PING Golf
    Lowest Score Wins
    • I will second that you need to look at each mfg's specs on club length and lie with the club you got fitting with. For example Callaway Apex 5 iron is 24* and 38", XR 5 is 23* and 38.25" and XR OS 5 is 25* and 38.5".  I'm sure there are slight lie differences, +1/2" doesn't seem a definitive length. John  
    • I've had 4 rounds with no double bogeys in the past 2 years, and I've broken 80 3 times in that same time. So, equally hard for me, I guess? In 2 of those 4 rounds, I had at least one triple bogey, though. So if the question is it is harder to break 80 or not have anything worse than a bogey on your scorecard, then I'd say the latter.
    • In general, I don't try to be precise enough to control the distance to within more than 10 yards on an approach shot. So, the answer is nothing. For example, if the pin is at 120 and the center of the green is 125, I'm hitting my 125 club instead of trying to adjust my 125 club to go 120. If that club goes anywhere between 120-130, that's totally fine by me. If I tried to hit that club 120, the odds are still that I'm not going to have a close putt, so what's the point? Aim at the center of the green, 2 putt for par, and get out of there. That said, if I really need to control my distance (say I'm pressing for birdies in a tournament or playing a scramble), I have a couple of techniques: 1/2 and 3/4 swings with wedges. I'm not going to bother with this with anything above a pitching wedge, because we're not precise enough with longer clubs to invest time into learning those distances. Grip down a little bit. That will take maybe 5 yards off a club. Hard to know that for sure, because I do that once every 5 rounds or something. Flight a club like this (I use this technique more when I don't want a lot of spin with my wedges):  I think trying to control distances on the range is a fun brain plasticity exercise or a good break from working on your priority piece. Nice to be able to pull out when absolutely necessary. Sort of like hitting a big slice or big hook.
    • They just showed a view from the front, it sure looks like his hand is anchored to his chest.  
    • Breaking 80 is tougher, I believe. Although I haven't technically crossed the threshold so maybe my opinion isn't valid. I'm not tracking my handicap, but I have been shooting mid-eighties lately from the standard men's tees (6,100-6,300 yards), consistently now for a while. The piece of my game that is consistently dragging my score down the most right now (for a while now) are penalties. Those 2 strokes at a time freaking KILL my score. With that being said, with a penalty and my current playing ability almost assuredly results in a double-bogey or worse. But I can still shoot an ~85 with a couple double's or one of them a triple in there. I'm shooting a lot of pars now. I VERY rarely get a birdie. For some reason I cannot reach par 5's in 2 and they aren't particularly long on my home course. I think I've had 1 birdie in my last 3-4 rounds? But I can tell you, when I have ONE birdie on my scorecard it is usually HUGE to my score, and that's when I'll usually have a < 82-84 day. Something about getting that birdie on the scorecard makes my confidence grow.  
  • TST Blog Entries

• Images

• Today's Birthdays

• Blog Entries