IGNORED

Compression vs. Deformation and Other Words

iacas
Note: This thread is 3583 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I don't understand what the big deal is about side spin though?

Obviously by definition, spin axis is tilted = side spin. The End. :-P

Deformation is correct terminology especially from former tennis coaches of mine. They alwass said deformation of the ball at the tennis racquet.

I wonder what actually causes the spin axis to become tilted that way, or rather, why does side spin afffect the ball-flight the way it does?

I guess it's because the way that the dimple pattern on the golfball, affects the lift force of golf ball? If the spin is tilted, then lift is mis-directed I suppose...?

If you roll an aircraft along its roll axis with the flightstick say... 30 deg to the left.  Roll axis is controlled by flight surfaces called ailerons, which are at the backsides of each wing.

The airflow becomes disturbed and the aircraft starts to turn towards the left side, quite slowly usually though...

I suppose, the reason that the aircraft turns because of roll axis flight surfaces, is that the lift is disturbed

You can see the aileron position when looking at an aircraft from the outside e.g. watch US Navy Hornet F-18 before take-off. Usually the pilot "tests" the flight surfaces by jerking the controls, while still on the ground. (so the ground crew can check if the flight surfaces work properly according to control inputs))

• Administrator

I guess it's because the way that the dimple pattern on the golfball, affects the lift force of golf ball? If the spin is tilted, then lift is mis-directed I suppose...?

Yes.

And there is no "side spin" per se, as was already discussed. Only one spin, and an axis.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I definitely used to think that to draw the ball you needed to do what people often mean by "compress" (or "trap").  I don't believe I ever actually thought I was pinching the ball against the ground, but I definitely thought to draw the ball you should get the hands further in front and take a big divot with a steep angle of attack.  Though this may have just been a function of my swing faults where my only reliable draw was with a full on punch with the ball way back in the stance and the only way I could draw a full swing shot (and even then only on the range since it was so unreliable) was a low hard trap draw.  Whoops, there's some hand me down terminology implying physical falsehoods!

Matt

Mid-Weight Heavy Putter
Cleveland Tour Action 60˚
Cleveland CG15 54˚
Nike Vapor Pro Combo, 4i-GW
Titleist 585h 19˚
Tour Edge Exotics XCG 15˚ 3 Wood
Taylormade R7 Quad 9.5˚

I've always wondered about those terms (compress, trap) after see a golf ball launch on hi speed camera. The term seems to indicate that you are squishing the ball down into the turf, but watching on camera shows a ball immediately taking flight.

- Shane

Note: This thread is 3583 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!