IGNORED

Rust on Scotty Cameron Pro Platinum

Note: This thread is 3656 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hi, Over the winter I stupidly left my clubs in the back of a truck with a fabric bed cover during a snowstorm. The headcover of the putter was soaked and, despite my best efforts, the putter now has several spots of rust across the putter head. Since my putter doesn't have any special finish I was wondering if anyone had techniques for removing rust that worked well for them. I don't believe the rust is major, it's mostly just discoloration, but I'd like to prevent it from becoming so. Thanks for any help!

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Hi,

Over the winter I stupidly left my clubs in the back of a truck with a fabric bed cover during a snowstorm. The headcover of the putter was soaked and, despite my best efforts, the putter now has several spots of rust across the putter head.

Since my putter doesn't have any special finish I was wondering if anyone had techniques for removing rust that worked well for them. I don't believe the rust is major, it's mostly just discoloration, but I'd like to prevent it from becoming so.

Thanks for any help!

Good to see you posting again!  Have you tried a rag and some coarse polish like a car buffing compound?  I would also try some gun oil, get yourself a can of Rem Oil and try cleaning it with that.  Also you can spray it down after every round and it will keep it protected.  I had an old Scotty I used to do that with and it worked well.

Nate

:pxg:(10.5) :benhogan:(4W):titleist:U500(3UI) :benhogan: Icon(4-PW) :edel:(52/58)

:odyssey:Putter :snell: MTB Black  

So far I haven't tried anything, just because I wanted to be certain that it wouldn't damage the putter first. I do have Remington Oil handy though, so I will try that soon and report back on the results.

So far I haven't tried anything, just because I wanted to be certain that it wouldn't damage the putter first. I do have Remington Oil handy though, so I will try that soon and report back on the results.

Yeah the Rem Oil will definitely be safe so yeah give that a shot.  Hope it works.

Nate

:pxg:(10.5) :benhogan:(4W):titleist:U500(3UI) :benhogan: Icon(4-PW) :edel:(52/58)

WD 40 with a very fine scotchbrite pad will work too.

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Good thought, that should do the trick.  Then keep some gun oil on the little bastid.

Nate

I haven't tried WD 40 on a putter but it works well on wedges.   Scotty Cameron sells a cloth that is treated with a chemical to help prevent rust once you get it cleaned up.

Joe Paradiso

Note: This thread is 3656 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!