IGNORED

new driver MISTAKE. (so far)

shootermcgavin0
Note: This thread is 3645 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

So I just got back into golf about 3 months ago. Bought a used set from a pawnshop (96 big bertha firm flex ping ib60 and a taylormade r540). After a few rounds and driving range experiments I decided to upgrade. I traded the r540 and bought a big bertha diablo reg flex ( I decided size mattered). After a few driving range adventures and a few rounds I was hitting it out to 250 with a rollout and sometimes 250 rolling to 275. Well yesterday it clicked I gotin a grove and 8/10 were well over 250 I got cocky and decided right then and there it was time to get stiff or go home. So instead of waiting a week and spending 50 plus to reshaft I bought a taylormade rbz 10.5 tour already with a stiff shaft. Lets just say im struggling to hit it out to 225 and its not pretty. Mistake or learing curve any similar stories?

So I just got back into golf about 3 months ago. Bought a used set from a pawnshop (96 big bertha firm flex ping ib60 and a taylormade r540). After a few rounds and driving range experiments I decided to upgrade. I traded the r540 and bought a big bertha diablo reg flex ( I decided size mattered). After a few driving range adventures and a few rounds I was hitting it out to 250 with a rollout and sometimes 250 rolling to 275. Well yesterday it clicked I gotin a grove and 8/10 were well over 250 I got cocky and decided right then and there it was time to get stiff or go home. So instead of waiting a week and spending 50 plus to reshaft I bought a taylormade rbz 10.5 tour already with a stiff shaft. Lets just say im struggling to hit it out to 225 and its not pretty. Mistake or learing curve any similar stories?

Did the shot shape change? Meaning whats the trajectory of the ball between the two drivers? Is one higher, and one lower? Is one curving more, did you develop a slice or a hook?

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Take the club to a shop and get the frequency checked you may be shocked, just because the shaft says stiff doesn't entirely mean that.

Rich C.

Driver Titleist 915 D3  9.5*
3 Wood TM RBZ stage 2 tour  14.5*
2 Hybrid Cobra baffler 17*
4Hybrid Adams 23*
Irons Adams CB2's 5-GW
Wedges 54* and 58* Titleist vokey
Putter Scotty Cameron square back 2014
Ball Srixon Zstar optic yellow
bushnell V2 slope edition

My only thought would be go get fitted and see the numbers side by side on a launch monitor.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Yeah, there is so much to a shaft besides it's flex. Best thing to do is compare the two side by side on a LM and see what the difference actually is.

Tristan Hilton

My Equipment: 
PXG 0211 Driver (Diamana S+ 60; 10.5°) · PXG 0211 FWs (Diamana S+ 60; 15° and 21°) · PXG 0211 Hybrids (MMT 80; 22°, 25°, and 28°) · PXG 0311P Gen 2 Irons (SteelFiber i95; 7-PW) · Edel Wedges (KBS Hi-Rev; 50°, 55°, 60°) · Edel Classic Blade Putter (32") · Vice Pro or Maxfli Tour · Pinned Prism Rangefinder · Star Grips · Flightscope Mevo · TRUE Linkswear Shoes · Sun Mountain C130S Bag

On my MacBook Pro:
Analyzr Pro

Welcome to the SandTrap! Glad to have you. I say take it back, tell them you're not happy with it, and you want the old one back. I'm assuming you traded in the old one?

Colin P.

My buddy was telling me the same thing. Im going to play a round tomorrow and if it is still all over the place I may do just that. Maybe I wasn't ready for stiff or im just trying to swing to hard and its throwing off my mechanics. I might just buy the old one back, and keep both although im sure the wife wont like that idea lol.

Nothing wrong playing with a R shaft, especially if your hitting it well. FWIW, you need to put your ego aside, and get whatever works best for You. Heck the pro shop I go to, has even told guys that a Ladies shaft is best for them, cuz the launch monitor gave the best #'s with that shaft. The guy didn't like it to much, but took his advice.

Oh, yeah...Welcome to TST. I also recommend that you get fitted for the driver, then you'll know for sure.

The RBZ is most likely a very long shaft at 46"(maybe more), the Callaway might be old enough that companies were still making drivers at 45". I'd say that hurts contact and direction, and also makes the driver feel needlessly hefty. I'd probably get fitted or get your swing checked out but shortening it slightly should have a bigger effect on results than changing flex.

In My Bag:

Adams Super LS 9.5˚ driver, Aldila Phenom NL 65TX
Adams Super LS 15˚ fairway, Kusala black 72x
Adams Super LS 18˚ fairway, Aldila Rip'd NV 75TX
Adams Idea pro VST hybrid, 21˚, RIP Alpha 105x
Adams DHY 24˚, RIP Alpha 89x
5-PW Maltby TE irons, KBS C taper X, soft stepped once 130g
Mizuno T4, 54.9 KBS Wedge X
Mizuno R12 60.5, black nickel, KBS Wedge X
Odyssey Metal X #1 putter 
Bridgestone E5, Adidas samba bag, True Linkswear Stealth

I figured it out I think, I was making it was to hard. For some reason with the big bertha I naturally closed the face. So to adjust I just closed the fade at address. Thanks for all the advice though guys. Im still going to get it fitted though.

Note: This thread is 3645 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!