IGNORED

My Swing (CarlSpackler)

CarlSpackler
Note: This thread is 2647 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Why aren't you Aimpointing all of them?

And I agree with Erik, nearly missed = drained.

Well, because it actually didn't hit me until we were about 6 holes into the round. ;-)

I'm still not good at judging slope with my feet. OK, I'm horrible at it.

- Shane

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Well, because it actually didn't hit me until we were about 6 holes into the round.

I'm still not good at judging slope with my feet. OK, I'm horrible at it.

Its a skill that must be refreshed every once in a while. I would actually recommend just breaking out the level before each round just to do a quick refresher.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Well, because it actually didn't hit me until we were about 6 holes into the round. ;-) I'm still not good at judging slope with my feet. OK, I'm horrible at it.

Don't over analyze the slope, go with your first impression and observe the result. Eventually you'll get the feel. - barely noticeable but definitely there = 1% - definitely there = 2% - whoa = 3% - holy Moses = 4% YMMV also, don't sweat it when you blow one. Could be your read was wrong, could be your stroke sucked, could have been too fast/slow. Sometimes you miss, just move on.

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

Its a skill that must be refreshed every once in a while. I would actually recommend just breaking out the level before each round just to do a quick refresher.

Don't over analyze the slope, go with your first impression and observe the result. Eventually you'll get the feel.

- barely noticeable but definitely there = 1%

- definitely there = 2%

- whoa = 3%

- holy Moses = 4%

YMMV

also, don't sweat it when you blow one. Could be your read was wrong, could be your stroke sucked, could have been too fast/slow. Sometimes you miss, just move on.

It's more of a physical thing for me. My right leg is almost 1" shorter than my left. It's been over a month since I've had an adjustment, so I'm REALLY out of whack. If I'm standing on R->L putt, it feels more level and a level slope feels like it's going to break right.

- Shane

It's more of a physical thing for me. My right leg is almost 1" shorter than my left. It's been over a month since I've had an adjustment, so I'm REALLY out of whack. If I'm standing on R->L putt, it feels more level and a level slope feels like it's going to break right.

Then I would pick one side to measure slope with. Meaning make your left or right leg the one that is always below the other when reading slope. This way you are always consistent. In the end you will develop a feel. It's just associating a number to it.

This might be something you need to refresh more often, maybe before each round.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Then I would pick one side to measure slope with. Meaning make your left or right leg the one that is always below the other when reading slope. This way you are always consistent. In the end you will develop a feel. It's just associating a number to it.

This might be something you need to refresh more often, maybe before each round.

It will take time and I definitely think I would need to calibrate before every round since it's always changing. Since yesterday was a best ball, I was able to cheat. I would guess the slope and then watch their putts to see how close I was.

- Shane

Then I would pick one side to measure slope with. Meaning make your left or right leg the one that is always below the other when reading slope. This way you are always consistent. In the end you will develop a feel. It's just associating a number to it.  This might be something you need to refresh more often, maybe before each round.

Right, you don't have to be facing the hole, you can be facing the ball. Of course I'm referring to an express midpoint read which is different procedure to the original midpoint reads, but in either case you can do as Matt suggests and just turn whichever way allows you to be consistent.

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

Right, you don't have to be facing the hole, you can be facing the ball. Of course I'm referring to an express midpoint read which is different procedure to the original midpoint reads, but in either case you can do as Matt suggests and just turn whichever way allows you to be consistent.

I might actually have to read both ways and average the two.

- Shane

• 2 weeks later...

I played yesterday after a nearly 2 week unplanned break. I had a sharp pain in my ankle warming up on the 1st tee. :censored:

Driving - I did pretty well off the tee after a pull hook on my first tee shot into a fir tree. I was able to advance it, but it made the hole much longer. All my other drives were playable even though I hit ground first on several.

Approach/Iron Shots - Mixed bag. I hit some really good shots and some just OK shots that missed the green and found the "fall off" areas beside the green. I think the real problem here was with the game plan. I pulled my 3rd shot into the woods on #1 requiring pitch out, and I pulled my second shot on 18 (par 5) OB and ended up with double. I should have been going for the center of the green, but...

Short game and putting were horrendous. Almost every hole was either pitch and 2 putt or a GIR with a 3 putt. Several holes were 2 pitches and 2 putts. The greens were slow and I couldn't get a feel for the speed.

Although I beat my Dad by 3, I shot a horrible 93.

- Shane

I played yesterday after a nearly 2 week unplanned break. I had a sharp pain in my ankle warming up on the 1st tee.

Driving - I did pretty well off the tee after a pull hook on my first tee shot into a fir tree. I was able to advance it, but it made the hole much longer. All my other drives were playable even though I hit ground first on several.

Approach/Iron Shots - Mixed bag. I hit some really good shots and some just OK shots that missed the green and found the "fall off" areas beside the green. I think the real problem here was with the game plan. I pulled my 3rd shot into the woods on #1 requiring pitch out, and I pulled my second shot on 18 (par 5) OB and ended up with double. I should have been going for the center of the green, but...

Short game and putting were horrendous. Almost every hole was either pitch and 2 putt or a GIR with a 3 putt. Several holes were 2 pitches and 2 putts. The greens were slow and I couldn't get a feel for the speed.

Although I beat my Dad by 3, I shot a horrible 93.

I did notice you were "pin hunting" a lot. I didn't want to say anything because I wasn't sure if you were doing it on purpose or just pulling your shots. It was a bit difficult getting used to the greens especially when the speed of them changed from the first 9 to the second.

Side note, you shot a "horrible" 93? Jeeze, I was pretty happy with my 97 first round on that course :-\

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

I did notice you were "pin hunting" a lot. I didn't want to say anything because I wasn't sure if you were doing it on purpose or just pulling your shots. It was a bit difficult getting used to the greens especially when the speed of them changed from the first 9 to the second.

Side note, you shot a "horrible" 93? Jeeze, I was pretty happy with my 97 first round on that course

Giving up that many stokes so close to the hole is what makes it horrible. I had a goose-egg in scrambling yesterday! Taking several doubles with an nGIR is unacceptable. I only had 3 holes with major tee to green issues, 1, 13, and 18.

- Shane

Giving up that many stokes so close to the hole is what makes it horrible. I had a goose-egg in scrambling yesterday! Taking several doubles with an nGIR is unacceptable. I only had 3 holes with major tee to green issues, 1, 13, and 18.

I can see that, my scrambling was pretty decent. Way too many 3 putts though. The bad start on the 2nd nine and bad putting on the first nine really did me in. However, I golfed a lot between the Columbus outing and yesterday so given how long you hadn't golfed I'd say you were pretty darn solid.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:

Crazy night on the old score card playing with @Slice of Life and @Jeremie Boop . We started on hole 5 to get out in front of a high school golf match. Played par, bogey, par, par, bogey, and then shot +14 (effing 50!) on the back 9. Made par on the first hole after a horrible break when my tee shot that was cutting the corner of the dog leg landed on a metal manhole cover of some kind and bounced through the fairway and behind a tree. I was able to punch from under the tree, over the pond to the side of the green and get up and down for par. Hit an awesome drive on 2nd hole and my second shot took a hard bounce on the green and went off the back leaving a short-sided, downhill chip. Then a par 3 GIR and 2 putt followed by a par 4 FIR/GIR/2 putt (aerated green). #9 I split the FW and pushed my approach pin high right. tough pitch and 2 putt for bogey. The the wheels came off with double, double, triple, etc. Not sure what happened on 9, but it left me saying WTF.

I did play the Monsta Balls tonight. I like the way they played off the tee, but approach shots and chips/pitches were not that impressive.

- Shane

Crazy night on the old score card playing with @Slice of Life and @Jeremie Boop. We started on hole 5 to get out in front of a high school golf match. Played par, bogey, par, par, bogey, and then shot +14 (effing 50!) on the back 9. Made par on the first hole after a horrible break when my tee shot that was cutting the corner of the dog leg landed on a metal manhole cover of some kind and bounced through the fairway and behind a tree. I was able to punch from under the tree, over the pond to the side of the green and get up and down for par. Hit an awesome drive on 2nd hole and my second shot took a hard bounce on the green and went off the back leaving a short-sided, downhill chip. Then a par 3 GIR and 2 putt followed by a par 4 FIR/GIR/2 putt (aerated green). #9 I split the FW and pushed my approach pin high right. tough pitch and 2 putt for bogey. The the wheels came off with double, double, triple, etc. Not sure what happened on 9, but it left me saying WTF.

I did play the Monsta Balls tonight. I like the way they played off the tee, but approach shots and chips/pitches were not that impressive.

Hey, would you be able to send me what my score was on the first 5 we played? I didn't look. I'm pretty sure I remember because I was alternating pars and non pars. Still can't believe your score, just didn't seem like you were playing that bad.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:

Hey, would you be able to send me what my score was on the first 5 we played? I didn't look. I'm pretty sure I remember because I was alternating pars and non pars. Still can't believe your score, just didn't seem like you were playing that bad.

I'll have to get it to you when I get home tonight.

That's been my plight this year. I'm not hacking it around for the most part, but I'm not scoring. I'm taking too many bogeys when I'm around or on the green in reg. I had T2G issues on 10 (FW bunker caught it fat), 11 (didn't drive it past the corner of dogleg and had to punch) that cost me 2 strokes, and 12 pushed 3w into junk and had to take unplayable then punch which cost 2 more. I hit an awesome shot from there into the upslope of the green that didn't hold. That's when I decided that the Monsta ball certainly was no Pro-V1. I caught that sucker clean and it looked like it should land soft and hold. The ball mark was about 5' in front of the pin, yet it still rolled up to the fringe and defied gravity. I had to tap it back down the cliff leaving me an 8 footer for double that I missed. I'll give you the two remaining balls that I have if you like them.

- Shane

I'll have to get it to you when I get home tonight.

That's been my plight this year. I'm not hacking it around for the most part, but I'm not scoring. I'm taking too many bogeys when I'm around or on the green in reg. I had T2G issues on 10 (FW bunker caught it fat), 11 (didn't drive it past the corner of dogleg and had to punch) that cost me 2 strokes, and 12 pushed 3w into junk and had to take unplayable then punch which cost 2 more. I hit an awesome shot from there into the upslope of the green that didn't hold. That's when I decided that the Monsta ball certainly was no Pro-V1. I caught that sucker clean and it looked like it should land soft and hold. The ball mark was about 5' in front of the pin, yet it still rolled up to the fringe and defied gravity. I had to tap it back down the cliff leaving me an 8 footer for double that I missed. I'll give you the two remaining balls that I have if you like them.

Yeah, that would be cool. I still think they are pretty much comparable to the hex chrome I'm hitting right now. I can see going from pro v's to the monsta being different for you. I just can't afford pro v's right now with my rate of loss. Though I did get around the course last night with only the one lost ball in 14 holes, which wasn't even really lost I just didn't feel like walking into the ob area on the first hole we played to get it.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:

Yeah, that would be cool. I still think they are pretty much comparable to the hex chrome I'm hitting right now. I can see going from pro v's to the monsta being different for you. I just can't afford pro v's right now with my rate of loss. Though I did get around the course last night with only the one lost ball in 14 holes, which wasn't even really lost I just didn't feel like walking into the ob area on the first hole we played to get it.

I had quite a few shots that hit the green and bounced or ran off instead of holding, and chips and pitches seemed like they had no bite to them. I was pretty impressed with the new Callaway SR2 that I played Sunday though. Performed pretty much like a Pro-V1 if not a bit better.

- Shane

I had quite a few shots that hit the green and bounced or ran off instead of holding, and chips and pitches seemed like they had no bite to them. I was pretty impressed with the new Callaway SR2 that I played Sunday though. Performed pretty much like a Pro-V1 if not a bit better.

Yes, that SR2 is pretty amazing on approach shots. I don't know if it's the difference in our swing speeds or not but I really don't/didn't have much trouble getting the monsta ball to stop well on the greens either though. However, the monsta would stop and the SR2 would back up so there was definitely more grip on the SR2, but it's still in the pro v price range so that's why I don't get those.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:

Note: This thread is 2647 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!